New coach to replace Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New coach to replace Price

Per TV in this afternoon's Argus update....

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

Seems like a good hire - anybody with more information? I see a connection to UNI - no surprise, but a good hire!

Re: New coach to replace Price

Here is the complete release from GoJacks.com http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205237167

Comment

Doesn't seem like a bad hire by any means. Does anyone know why he left Notre Dame?

The only thing that I see that could be a problem is he looks more like the rebuilding type of coach and not the type of coach to take a team to the next level. However that could just be that he hasn't been in a position to do that yet. Also seems like he never stayed very long at one place. Though that isn't terribly unusual for baseball. Just some things I noticed. Don't know anything about him though so can't say that its a bad thing or anything.

Comment

http://www.und.com/sports/m-basebl/s...061410aaa.html

looks like his contract was not renewed

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          Doesn't seem like a bad hire by any means. Does anyone know why he left Notre Dame?

The only thing that I see that could be a problem is he looks more like the rebuilding type of coach and not the type of coach to take a team to the next level. However that could just be that he hasn't been in a position to do that yet. Also seems like he never stayed very long at one place. Though that isn't terribly unusual for baseball. Just some things I noticed. Don't know anything about him though so can't say that its a bad thing or anything.
          - In his last five years as a coach, he's put teams in the top 25 three times. Evansville nearly made it to the CWS his last year there. He was runner-up for the national college baseball coach of the year once and was the Valley coach of the year three times for two different teams. It's not as though he's failed to 'take teams to the next level.'

- He coached UNI for 9 years before going to the other UNI.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            - In his last five years as a coach, he's put teams in the top 25 three times. Evansville nearly made it to the CWS his last year there. He was runner-up for the national college baseball coach of the year once and was the Valley coach of the year three times for two different teams. It's not as though he's failed to 'take teams to the next level.'

- He coached UNI for 9 years before going to the other UNI.
            good then.... I was just taking a quick look at the resume and looking at potential red flags. Like I said it didn't look like a bad hire by any means. Should know the recruiting area good. Hopefully he works out and stays awhile.

Comment

Looks like a good hire for the Jacks. Experienced and has shown ability to put a winning team on the diamond.
              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Sign a guy that has a well established DI resume including 4 years at a BCS school where he coached a top 25 team how can you be anything but excited to get a guy like that? This is a fantastic hire on the basis of his resume and I am very excited to see how things workout. I hope he can get boosters more excited to open their pocket books as well as coach us to a conference title and a super regional. ORU showed us how close we might have been to some major upsets at the next level.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Looks like a coach State wants to stay around for awhile. Familiar with Upper Midwest weather in the spring and definatly not a "up & comer". Good safe hire - Go Rabbits!

Comment

The credentials speak for themselves. Why would he come to SD and for what we are paying for salary? Those questions to cross my mind, but maybe there are not a many head coaching jobs out there and you take what you can get. He is getting a great program that has talent. Being familar with the upper midwest weather as 643 has mentioned also helps make this fit. At age 50 you look at things differently than age 25, not a slam to Coach Ritchie, but I sense Schrage is looking for a final stop before retirement and that might be the best fit for SDSU at this point in time.

I hope things work our well for Coach Schrage.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks nl View Post
                      http://www.und.com/sports/m-basebl/s...061410aaa.html

looks like his contract was not renewed
                      Bit of being thrown under the bus at ND. Winning program first 3 years, and a down year on his fourth, and he's out of here. It will be interesting to watch how he succeeds here. Should be a good, but definitely lost a LOT of talent, team in 2012.

I'll note that SDSU didn't renew the softball coach's contract, so lack of performance can get a coach dismissed here, too.

Comment

I think it's safe to say expectations were high at ND when Schrage's predecessor, Paul Mainieri, left for LSU after taking the Irish to the College World Series in 2002.
                        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                          I think it's safe to say expectations were high at ND when Schrage's predecessor, Paul Mainieri, left for LSU after taking the Irish to the College World Series in 2002.
                          Speaking of Paul Mainieri, does anyone remember this game?

http://www.und.com/sports/m-basebl/s...5/nd-sdsu.html

Comment

Should be good.....brings a little more experience than Ritchie, and maybe big game experience is what we need.
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              Speaking of Paul Mainieri, does anyone remember this game?

http://www.und.com/sports/m-basebl/s...5/nd-sdsu.html
                              Very well, as I recall Jacks lit up Samardja (sp?, now in the majors) and our bullpen shut down the Irish. IIRC.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X