Summit League Championships in SF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League Championships in SF

Bases Loaded for the Jacks in the 8th!!!!

Come on guys, let's get a couple here.

BTW...I just want to give MidcoSports a shout out...they are doing an excellent job with their coverage.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

ORU walks a Rabbit in...4-3 ORU, 1 out, bases still loaded.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

PAST BALL!!! 4-4 game. 1 out, men on 2nd and 3rd!!

Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Passed ball by ORU, game tied at 4-4
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

4-4 top of the 9th. Jacks up to bat.

1 run and then a stop and on to game 2!!

Go Jacks!!!!!!

Comment

With a sorry lack of execution, the season thuds to an end. Bases loaded and none down for the Jacks in the top of the 11th and...no runs. The second and third batters in the order both strike out and the catcher is held at third on a fly ball with none down. ORU leads off with a double, bunts him over and...game and season over.

We just have to do better with bases loaded and none down. Plain and simple. End of discussion. We left 12 on base today, which is why we lost.
              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Not a great ending but it was a very good season for the Jacks. We were in position to win.

Congrats on the season to the coach and team!

Comment

Very disappointing how we lost,but through it all,maybe we learned something that can help us win in the future.Thanks Seniors for donning the uniform and best of luck in the future.

Comment

a lot of its mental I think but you also have to look at big picture and considering how much more Oral Roberts spends on baseball, how much more pitching they have and so on its amazing that they are even as close as they are. still you can't leave that many guys on base and expect to win a game.

I think to get over the hump though pitching will have to improve. They lose a couple of starters and Vermeullen (sp). They get a few pitchers back from injury so I think they will be good again next year just have to find away to get over the hump

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      ? for those more in the know as far as SDSU Baseball goes:

Why wouldn't we throw Treinen if we beat ORU in today's 1st game? Do college pitchers need that much rest?

4-2 ORU...they get a 1-run Home-run in hte bottom of the 7th.

But....2 on no outs for the Rabbits in the 8th!! Come on fellas here's your window!!

Go Jacks!!
                      I'm guessing if he could have gone he would of but I doubt it. Every pitcher is different, some guys can throw and throw and throw and have no ill effects while the next guy needs his 4-5 days in between starts. From what I've gathered Treinen is one of those guys that needs the extra day or 2 of rest. You also have to understand that he throws 94+, its May (and cold) and he is a possible top 5-6 round draft pick whose contract was voided because of shoulder problems. I'm not saying he should of gone or would have because I don't know that but unless he felt 90%+ would you blame him for saying I can't go? On top of that he doesn't have a great track record against ORU.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        ? for those more in the know as far as SDSU Baseball goes:

Why wouldn't we throw Treinen if we beat ORU in today's 1st game? Do college pitchers need that much rest?

4-2 ORU...they get a 1-run Home-run in hte bottom of the 7th.

But....2 on no outs for the Rabbits in the 8th!! Come on fellas here's your window!!

Go Jacks!!
                        There was no way they were going to throw Treinen, nor would they ask him. The majors consider a four-day-rest period needed. That doesn't include the day you pitch and the next time you pitch. Treinen had two days of rest. No coach is going to ask a pitcher with a legitimate chance at the professional rank, to do that and risk injuring his arm. Best of luck to Blake as he tries to make baseball a career.

And does anybody think Ritchie doesn't know he needs more depth (as well as quality of course) in the pitching department. ORU has 19 pitchers on its 35-member squad, and the large majority of those come from other colleges or junior colleges in the sun belt from California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. (Of the 35-member squad, 21 fit that description.

Some good notes: If Layne Somsen can regain full use of his arm (after Tommy John surgery), we will have an excellent replacement for Treinen (Layne was on the All-Tournament team as a freshman at the conference tourney in Tulsa.) He should be back, but I know he is a little discouraged at the time it is taken for rehab...but it is a tough rehab. Secondly, Ritchie has nine pitchers coming in among the 14 recruits he will be announcing.

Finally, it was a terribly disappointing way to lose the championship game. Nobody feels worse than the players who failed to capitalize on their opportunities. I prefer to look at it this way: third season in the championship game in a league where one team has a 37-game winning streak in conference tournament games, and 14 consecutive conference titles; and where that team has an absolute advantage over the rest of the teams in the league. Coming through the losers bracket and winning the tournament in this league's format is close to impossible...yet the Jacks came tantalizingly close to at least ending the win streak and forcing a sixth game. They got no breaks from what happened with the weather. They were ready to play ORU on a cold, windy, raining evening and cancellation of that game was a god-send for ORU and its freshman pitcher from Florida. Not only that, but it was a great gift to NDSU, which got a full days rest while SDSU had to play ORU and turn around and play NDSU 45 minutes later, in order to advance and get the chance to challenge ORU in the next game.

Hats off to a third straight year for the Coach Ritchie Price and the SDSU baseball team, which doesn't have the facilities, an indoor practice area, the luxury of living in a southern climate where year-around work is possible for a team and where more quality players are available across the southern half of the country than the northern half. And a special thanks to the seniors, three of them with career and season records (Billy Stitz, Joel Blake, Jesse Sawyer), and the toughest closer in the league (Trevor) and a pitcher who will be drafted (Treinen). You have made this SDSU fan, very proud, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          . You have made this SDSU fan, very proud, indeed.
                          Me too, I have not followed as close as I would like but we are knocking on the door. Without facilities and all this cotton picking rain, its hard to get 40 games in let alone win nearly 40.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            There was no way they were going to throw Treinen, nor would they ask him. The majors consider a four-day-rest period needed. That doesn't include the day you pitch and the next time you pitch. Treinen had two days of rest. No coach is going to ask a pitcher with a legitimate chance at the professional rank, to do that and risk injuring his arm. Best of luck to Blake as he tries to make baseball a career.

And does anybody think Ritchie doesn't know he needs more depth (as well as quality of course) in the pitching department. ORU has 19 pitchers on its 35-member squad, and the large majority of those come from other colleges or junior colleges in the sun belt from California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. (Of the 35-member squad, 21 fit that description.

Some good notes: If Layne Somsen can regain full use of his arm (after Tommy John surgery), we will have an excellent replacement for Treinen (Layne was on the All-Tournament team as a freshman at the conference tourney in Tulsa.) He should be back, but I know he is a little discouraged at the time it is taken for rehab...but it is a tough rehab. Secondly, Ritchie has nine pitchers coming in among the 14 recruits he will be announcing.

Finally, it was a terribly disappointing way to lose the championship game. Nobody feels worse than the players who failed to capitalize on their opportunities. I prefer to look at it this way: third season in the championship game in a league where one team has a 37-game winning streak in conference tournament games, and 14 consecutive conference titles; and where that team has an absolute advantage over the rest of the teams in the league. Coming through the losers bracket and winning the tournament in this league's format is close to impossible...yet the Jacks came tantalizingly close to at least ending the win streak and forcing a sixth game. They got no breaks from what happened with the weather. They were ready to play ORU on a cold, windy, raining evening and cancellation of that game was a god-send for ORU and its freshman pitcher from Florida. Not only that, but it was a great gift to NDSU, which got a full days rest while SDSU had to play ORU and turn around and play NDSU 45 minutes later, in order to advance and get the chance to challenge ORU in the next game.

Hats off to a third straight year for the Coach Ritchie Price and the SDSU baseball team, which doesn't have the facilities, an indoor practice area, the luxury of living in a southern climate where year-around work is possible for a team and where more quality players are available across the southern half of the country than the northern half. And a special thanks to the seniors, three of them with career and season records (Billy Stitz, Joel Blake, Jesse Sawyer), and the toughest closer in the league (Trevor) and a pitcher who will be drafted (Treinen). You have made this SDSU fan, very proud, indeed.
                            will SDSU announce their recruits soon or wait until fall? can you drop a name or 2 if you know of any? (don't want you to get into trouble)

Comment

My suggestion for a theme song for SDSU's team... "God's gonna cut you down" by Johnny Cash.... ORU can't win all the time, no matter how much money Mr. Roberts gets from his followers.
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                will SDSU announce their recruits soon or wait until fall? can you drop a name or 2 if you know of any? (don't want you to get into trouble)
                                TV mentioned a few in this weeks Tuesday Tidbits.
                                http://tinyurl.com/43eadjf

Comment

Working...
                                X