UMKC to move Men's games on campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMKC to move Men's games on campus

The Roos are moving their Men's games away from downtown and on to their campus. It is a much smaller venue only 1,500 seats.

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/704498.pdf

I will miss historic Municipal.

Go State!
    Last edited by 89rabbit; 07-01-2010, 05:16 PM.

Re: UMKC to move Men's games on campus

Weird.

I'm thinking there might be a few Class B gyms in SD that are bigger than that. It's like IUPUI's on-campus 'facility'.

Comment

Should DI programs play in 1500 seat gyms? Time to think about swapping UMKC out for UCM? The Mules' venue seems a lot more "big time" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
        Weird.

I'm thinking there might be a few Class B gyms in SD that are bigger than that. It's like IUPUI's on-campus 'facility'.
        It may be a lot better for UMKC - more of a college feel possibly. You ever been to Municipal in KC for a 'Roos game? Horrible, absolutely horrible atmosphere. Anything they do will be a step up.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/01...oops-home.html

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            It may be a lot better for UMKC - more of a college feel possibly. You ever been to Municipal in KC for a 'Roos game? Horrible, absolutely horrible atmosphere. Anything they do will be a step up.
            I agree. Each time I've been there, we wondered how UMKC could continue using the place with the attendance they have.

Comment

So, is this a link to the on-campus gym? It's on their Web site. It looks nice, but very small...like far less than 1,500 capacity. But maybe this isn't it.

http://www.umkckangaroos.com//share/...IMAGE_SIZE=400
              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                So, is this a link to the on-campus gym? It's on their Web site. It looks nice, but very small...like far less than 1,500 capacity. But maybe this isn't it.

The picture from the initial post here is the on-campus gym. It has two side-by-side basketball courts, but for games has bleachers on the north as well as the south. I'm sure 1,500 is a pretty accurate number and if filled would be a better venue than the same number of people in Memorial Coliseum.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post

That is old Swinney, they just converted it into a practice facility.

Go State!

Comment

Here are pics from last year's game in KC

SDSU section:

A shot that shows what the rest of the arena looked like:

In UMKC's defense they had record cold that day it was -20 with the wind chill and the folks in KC are not used to that.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post

SHEESH boys...get a hand in the shooters face already!

Sorry, I digress.

That is one pathetic looking crowd.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Before people go all nutso over how small a 1,500-seat D-I basketball venue is, you should probably check out the size of the places that a lot of the smaller east-coast conference members play in . . .

I'd say this move might be worth at least one or two more wins for UMKC--plus the positive bottom-line revenue implications for them for playing on-campus vs. in a rented off-campus facility.

With where the UMKC program is right now, it's close to a no-brainer, IMHO. Now, if they start selling the place out consistently, then they can start thinking about either moving back to Municipal or building a bigger on-campus facility. But it looks to me like a move full of win for the Roos.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Before people go all nutso over how small a 1,500-seat D-I basketball venue is, you should probably check out the size of the places that a lot of the smaller east-coast conference members play in . . .

I'd say this move might be worth at least one or two more wins for UMKC--plus the positive bottom-line revenue implications for them for playing on-campus vs. in a rented off-campus facility.

With where the UMKC program is right now, it's close to a no-brainer, IMHO. Now, if they start selling the place out consistently, then they can start thinking about either moving back to Municipal or building a bigger on-campus facility. But it looks to me like a move full of win for the Roos.
                          Yes - Roos need to create the image of being a good entertainment option, and be sellout capacities before they head back to the caverns of Muni.

Comment

filbert nailed it. This becomes a tougher venue now. Becomes way more intimate. Will only help UMKC.

Intimacy is a big deal. It's why SuFu needs to put a upper and lower level in our new arean (thanks Mayor Huether) and needs to block off the upper level for Storm, Force, Stampede, State tourney, Summit, etc games. 5k for a Storm game in the Arena is great now but 5k for a Storm game in a 15k Arena will feel like a failure.

Comment

Working...
                            X