Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit looking at football

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    If our long term goal is to gain membership into the Missouri Valley Conference for all sports, I would be willing to place a bet that SDSU and NDSU would fight this from the time any real exploration began.

As for football, the last thing we want to do is shoot ourselves in the foot and let our first real sustained football success in 45 years slip away.

I vote no. Do I have a vote? Well, if I don't I'm going to find out how I get one.
    Yea you have a vote! Me too. I dont think "we" like Summit "football".
    www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

What would the Summit have to do, to get it's own bid to the playoffs? How many teams does a conference need, in order to get an automatic bid?

The will have four teams that play football, when USD comes into the SL.

It won't be a stretch to add UND, especially now that they have worked out the nickname situation. That would be five full SL members.

SUU would make 6, of course if they don't get invited to the Big Sky.

Maybe add D-2 schools that may think about moving up?

Comment

Originally posted by Sec310 View Post
        What would the Summit have to do, to get it's own bid to the playoffs? How many teams does a conference need, in order to get an automatic bid? 6 teams, 5 of which must have played each other for two years, and then petition for inclusion.

The will have four teams that play football, when USD comes into the SL.

It won't be a stretch to add UND, especially now that they have worked out the nickname situation. That would be five full SL members.

SUU would make 6, of course if they don't get invited to the Big Sky.

Maybe add D-2 schools that may think about moving up? [/b]SDSU/NDSU, but especially WIU isn't moving out of the auto-bid MVFC for a 6 team SUmmit.[/b]
        Look for the "Summit" to be a 'division' within the MVFC. Either the Big SKy or the Summit is going to be a 11 team league based on the current available schools. Look for the Summit to try and entice Eastern Ill. back into the fold. With some more southern schools looking to move up (North Ala and it's league), the OVC has some natural growth south.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          Look for the "Summit" to be a 'division' within the MVFC. Either the Big SKy or the Summit is going to be a 11 team league based on the current available schools. Look for the Summit to try and entice Eastern Ill. back into the fold. With some more southern schools looking to move up (North Ala and it's league), the OVC has some natural growth south.
          Being a division sucks. Why compete against 10 other teams for a bid to the playoffs, when you can compete against 5 other teams AND have non conference games vs that other conference.

It would be very easy for the MVFC and SL to have two separate conferences, each with it's own bid to the playoffs.

The Big Sky is already a 11 team conference, with Cal Poly and Davis, of course that assumes nobody leaves.

Comment

Being a division sucks. Why compete against 10 other teams for a bid to the playoffs, when you can compete against 5 other teams AND have non conference games vs that other conference.

It would be very easy for the MVFC and SL to have two separate conferences, each with it's own bid to the playoffs.

The Big Sky is already a 11 team conference, with Cal Poly and Davis, of course that assumes nobody leaves.

So what your saying is that you would like to give up game every year vs. SIU and UNI for USD and UND?? Really?? Really??

My stomach just turned.

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
              So what your saying is that you would like to give up game every year vs. SIU and UNI for USD and UND?? Really?? Really??

My stomach just turned.

Go Jacks!!
              It'd be an easier path to the playoffs.

Comment

My stomach just turned.

Go Jacks!!
                You can still play those schools in non conference, every year.

If it means a better shot at the playoffs, the SL should look at splitting away from the MVFC.

Comment

You can still play those schools in non conference, every year.

If it means a better shot at the playoffs, the SL should look at splitting away from the MVFC.

The Summit League should split away from the MVFC?? Say that to yourself 20 times, heck say it 50 times and see if it makes any more sense.

So let me get this straight:
                  SDSU
                  NDSU
                  WIU
                  USD
                  UND
                  SUU(which will be in the Big Sky within the month, IMO)

MVFC:
                  UNI
                  SIU
                  Indiana State - Red
                  Indiana State - Blue
                  Missouri State
                  Youngstown St.

First of all, I'm sure the NCAA would just be thrilled to give a 5 team league(two of which are fresh out of transition and the other two not far behind) a auto-birth to the playoffs.
                  Second, we completely lose the name-recognition of the "Missouri Valley"
                  Third...now we get to worry about filling 6 out-of-conference games??
                  Fourth...I'm sure UNI and SIU would just bend over backwards to schedule home and homes with all of us every year.

Dumbest idea ever...IMHO. Best case that happens for everyone who want to see us play USD and relive the NCC glory years, is they just let the two clown colleges in and make it an 11 team conference, just like the old Big 10. Not everyone would play everyone every year, but at least we don't "break away" from the MVFC and create essentially another "Great West FB Conference". God, I can't even believe there are people considering this as an option.

Sec310...you sure your not Craig Mattock or his twin??

Go Jacks!!
                  Last edited by propar80; 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM.
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

The SL should look at splitting away from the MVFC.
                    I think this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read here. Splitting away from one of the top three FCS football conferences in America for one of the largest cupcake factories in the country. Add on top of that, no guaranteed for an automatic playoff berth. Yes the travel sucks to get to Youngstown State, Indiana State. But imagine if you have to travel to Southern Utah. No easy way to get to Cedar City is a friendly four hour bus ride away from Las Vegas. I can already see boosters clamoring to get on the plane for those types of trips.

While they have to fly to Southern Illinois, Indiana State and Youngstown State, a five out of eight of the MVFC games are less than a 13 hour drive away and easy for fans to make.

I've yet to meet any fans who are excited to see SDSU join a potential Summit League football conference. In fact, I think Justin Sell ought to be fired if he doesn't take us to the Summit League football conference. Shame on him for not scheduling old rivals.

Comment

The Summit League should split away from the MVFC?? Say that to yourself 20 times, heck say it 50 times and see if it makes any more sense.

So let me get this straight:
                      SDSU
                      NDSU
                      WIU
                      USD
                      UND
                      SUU(which will be in the Big Sky within the month, IMO)

MVFC:
                      UNI
                      SIU
                      Indiana State - Red
                      Indiana State - Blue
                      Missouri State
                      Youngstown St.

First of all, I'm sure the NCAA would just be thrilled to give a 5 team league(two of which are fresh out of transition and the other two not far behind) a auto-birth to the playoffs.
                      Second, we completely lose the name-recognition of the "Missouri Valley"
                      Third...now we get to worry about filling 6 out-of-conference games??
                      Fourth...I'm sure UNI and SIU would just bend over backwards to schedule home and homes with all of us every year.

Dumbest idea ever...IMHO. Best case that happens for everyone who want to see us play USD and relive the NCC glory years, is they just let the two clown colleges in and make it an 11 team conference, just like the old Big 10. Not everyone would play everyone every year, but at least we don't "break away" from the MVFC and create essentially another "Great West FB Conference". God, I can't even believe there are people considering this as an option.

Sec310...you sure your not Craig Mattock or his twin??

Go Jacks!!
                      Not to mention the fact that if any one schools leaves, for whatever reason, the autobid is gone.

Comment

Along with previous posts, I don't buy the easier bid to the playoffs line either. IF, the conference got an auto-bid, it is a one-bid league. Any slip-up in conference game means you are almost certainly out of the playoffs. Horrible HORrible HORRIBle HORRRIBLE idea.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                          Along with previous posts, I don't buy the easier bid to the playoffs line either. IF, the conference got an auto-bid, it is a one-bid league. Any slip-up in conference game means you are almost certainly out of the playoffs. Horrible HORrible HORRIBle HORRRIBLE idea.
                          I mean that strictly in the sense of playing USD & UND instead of SIU and UNI--I prefer a divisional setup, or a sort of twitched up round robin as seen in the 11 team Big Ten.

Comment

If you stuck Wichita, UNO or UCM in with the two UxD's you'd have a pretty good two division, twelve team conference.

Comment

Crazy Friday afternoon wishful thought of the day.

Northern Colorado leaves the Big Sky to join the Summit/MVFC as the 11th/12th member. Southern Utah joins the Big Sky in UNC's place.

MVFC West Division
                              NDSU
                              SDSU
                              USD
                              UND
                              UNC
                              UNI

MVFC East Division
                              ISU Red
                              ISU Blue
                              MSU
                              SIU
                              WIU
                              YSU

Summit League
                              NDSU/UND
                              SDSU/USD
                              ORU/UMKC
                              IPFW/OU
                              WIU/IUPUI
                              UNC

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                                Crazy Friday afternoon wishful thought of the day.

Northern Colorado leaves the Big Sky to join the Summit/MVFC as the 11th/12th member. Southern Utah joins the Big Sky in UNC's place.

MVFC West Division
                                NDSU
                                SDSU
                                USD
                                UND
                                UNC
                                UNI

MVFC East Division
                                ISU Red
                                ISU Blue
                                MSU
                                SIU
                                WIU
                                YSU

Summit League
                                NDSU/UND
                                SDSU/USD
                                ORU/UMKC
                                IPFW/OU
                                WIU/IUPUI
                                UNC
                                Add Denver to the Summit and it would be looking pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                                X