Summit League Website...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League Website...

...is down (6:15 p.m. 5/9/10). When you click on the website, you're directed to a generic Network Solutions page which makes me concerned. I'm not sure how long the site has been down...I first checked earlier this afternoon and it could not be accessed. Did the League's office fail to renew the website?

Re: Summit League Website...

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    ...is down (6:15 p.m. 5/9/10). When you click on the website, you're directed to a generic Network Solutions page which makes me concerned. I'm not sure how long the site has been down...I first checked earlier this afternoon and it could not be accessed. Did the League's office fail to renew the website?

Pretty sure you're typing it in wrong. I was on the website earlier and I just checked again. Are you typing www.thesummitleague.com instead of www.thesummitleague.org? The difference being the .org
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

It was fine for me up until the last hour or less. I tried around 8:00pm and got the regular page, but now I get the redirect like JackJD was talking about. Hopefully it's just a DNS caching issue and will be completely fixed by morning.

Comment

i had the same problem at 6 this morning. and still cant get to the website.

Comment

Somebody forgot to click the "auto renew" box----or they forgot to update the credit card info.

If you're able to pull up the website, it's possible that your local ISP, or your computer hasn't updated its DNS cache. When it updates, you'll get sent to the placeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            Somebody forgot to click the "auto renew" box----or they forgot to update the credit card info.

If you're able to pull up the website, it's possible that your local ISP, or your computer hasn't updated its DNS cache. When it updates, you'll get sent to the placeholder.

Wish I knew what that meant.

For what it's worth, I can get it on my phone and computer.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              Wish I knew what that meant.

For what it's worth, I can get it on my phone and computer.
              You can't buy domain names. You rent them by the year (you can pay for several years at once, but you can't buy it outright).

If you forget to renew a domain name, it goes into a 30 day holding period where you can renew it, but most domain registrars redirect traffic to one of their holding pages during that time frame.

I've had this happen to me a couple times, in the course of my business.

Comment

No problem at 7 a.m. this morning...got the website OK, so hopefully was just temporary situation. Had to check out the softball tournament schedule as I was going to Fargo for the baseball games and see I can catch the Jacks first SB game Friday morning, by leaving early in the morning.

Comment

I just tried to go to site that I had bookmarked and got the network solutions page. Then I tried both the links provided up thread, and didn't get either to work.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

It's back up for me. I suspect this was a DNS problem from their web hosting service rather than a payment problem.

Comment

I couldn't get on last night but can this morning and in fact looks a little sharper with more intense color. May just be my perception but I can get on the site ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                        It's back up for me. I suspect this was a DNS problem from their web hosting service rather than a payment problem.
                        Not likely.

DNS can be hosted with the registrar, hosted by the website hosting company, or some other third party DNS hosting service.

In this case, DNS is hosted by XOSN/JumpTV (the website hosting company). In the event that their DNS failed, the most likely outcome by far would be an error message along the lines of "Firefox could not locate 'whatever.com'" A less probable outcome would be another website loading instead of the Summit League website (e.g. NDSU's page).

It is extremely unlikely that an XOSN DNS failure would redirect traffic back to a Network Solutions hosted IP address.

---

For whatever reason, the A record for thesummitleague.org was pointed, not at an XOSN server, but at a NetworkSolutions server yesterday.

In my experience the most likely causes for that are 1) billing and 2) somebody monkeying around.

If your registrar switches from the DNS info you've supplied to DNS info that points at their server, odds are high that it's because of a billing issue.

Given that it was Sunday--and it didn't affect my NetworkSolutions registered websites, I don't put much stock in 'somebody monkeying around' either with NS as a whole, or that record in particular.

Comment

Working...
                        X