Keith Benson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Benson

Looks like Benson will test the NBA waters. He's not hiring an agent so basically if his workouts go well and he's gauranteed a decent draft spot he will forgo his senior year. If not, he will back to terrorize the Summit for one more season.

http://www.ougrizzlies.com/sports/m-...041610aaa.html

Re: Keith Benson

I hope he is the Mike Mamula of NBA Draft workouts...

...though I hope he has way more successful career in the pros than "The Workout Warrior" did.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

ESPN's Chad Ford recommends Benson stays in school.

Keith Benson, C, Oakland

Benson had a bit of a breakout season, but he needs to add strength and improve his intensity on the defensive end. He's a potential first-round pick next season. But this year he's stuck in the second.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
        Good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Good advice.
          Good advice, but a bad situation for the rest of the Summit - we don't need that terror around for another year.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            Good advice, but a bad situation for the rest of the Summit - we don't need that terror around for another year.
            I disagree that the Summit doesn't need a guy like him. Anything that's going to get the Summit League ESPN time and national recognition from people talking about Benson as an NBA prospect is good in my book.

Comment

Best scenario is that he plays like a beast all year, but gets the flu 2 or 3 times next year.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                I disagree that the Summit doesn't need a guy like him. Anything that's going to get the Summit League ESPN time and national recognition from people talking about Benson as an NBA prospect is good in my book.
                I understand where you are coming from, but one player won't raise any interest in our league, IMO. Winning games in the NCAA tournament will do that. George Hill was just drafted a couple years ago and that was a blip on the radar as far as coverage for the Summit on major sports outlets.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                  Best scenario is that he plays like a beast all year, but gets the flu 2 or 3 times next year.
                  You mean like the weekends Oakland plays SDSU?
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    You mean like the weekends Oakland plays SDSU?
                    Absolutely, twice in the regular season and once in the tourney if we meet them. Nothing serious that would jeopardize his career, just keep him off the court those nights. Heck, I am generous enough to allow him to miss our travel partner to the north's games also.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                      OK, I don't get this. Is the theory that by staying in school he will improve his stock and get into the first round?

First year minimum salary is $473,604. The NBA has a minimum salary scale, so if he signed a two year deal, the least he would make would be about $1.26 million. I don't know about everyone else, but if he has a decent head on his shoulders, that kind of money is a nice jump start on life, and he can always come back to school to finish his degree.

Although second round picks may not be guaranteed according to http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?ti...Draft_Overview

Info on minimum salaries:
                      http://www.nba.com/news/cba_minimumsalary_050804.html

Analysis of the value of each pick position:
                      http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        OK, I don't get this. Is the theory that by staying in school he will improve his stock and get into the first round?

First year minimum salary is $473,604. The NBA has a minimum salary scale, so if he signed a two year deal, the least he would make would be about $1.26 million. I don't know about everyone else, but if he has a decent head on his shoulders, that kind of money is a nice jump start on life, and he can always come back to school to finish his degree.

Although second round picks may not be guaranteed according to http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?ti...Draft_Overview

Info on minimum salaries:
                        http://www.nba.com/news/cba_minimumsalary_050804.html

Analysis of the value of each pick position:
                        http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm
                        1st rounders get guaranteed money, 2nd rounders don't.

Comment

I just don't know if I see Benson as a 1st rounder. What if he ends up like the kid in the NCAA tournament, the kid from West Virgina, where he gets hurt and ends up not even being drafted.

I say that if a guy is a lock for the second round that a smaller school player should almost take it.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Benson withdrew his name from the draft...terrific.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                            X