Kent State AD Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent State AD Search

Us Bison fans got a scare today when the Forum reported that Gene Taylor was one of the three finalists for the Kent State job. What's funny is that Joel Nielsen of USD is one of the other two. It looks like Kent State will hire the third guy(Mark Wilson of Tennessee Tech), but I thought some of you might like to know(and to talk about how much it would hurt USD to lose their AD in the middle of the transition).

Re: Kent State AD Search

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Us Bison fans got a scare today when the Forum reported that Gene Taylor was one of the three finalists for the Kent State job. What's funny is that Joel Nielsen of USD is one of the other two. It looks like Kent State will hire the third guy(Mark Wilson of Tennessee Tech), but I thought some of you might like to know(and to talk about how much it would hurt USD to lose their AD in the middle of the transition).

Good info...Thanks Hammer!!

Funny how this isn't being reported by Mick and the AL. Crips our former AD retired and we all saw the field day they had with that...and all he did was retire.

But in the end I think I know why...because the AL knows that when it really comes down to it, nobody really cares what's going on down at USD, unless of course it involves SDSU. Sad but true.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

Funny how this isn't being reported by Mick and the AL. Crips our former AD retired and we all saw the field day they had with that...and all he did was retire.

But in the end I think I know why...because the AL knows that when it really comes down to it, nobody really cares what's going on down at USD, unless of course it involves SDSU. Sad but true.

Go Jacks!!

Or maybe there's no history of controversial comments and actions to rehash...
      University of South Dakota:
      Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

Go Jacks!!
        Smack in non-smack threads is unwelcome.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Smack in non-smack threads is unwelcome.

Sorry Filbert for the smack in the non-smack thread. I should have tempered my post by putting it in a different way:

Mick talked about it in his blog during the Creighton/USD game last week in the fact that he thought the lack of fans at this game could be a problem going forward for the ADept at USD and it needs to be addressed sooner than later.
          The fans of USD didn't have a lot of games to look forward to this past year just as SDSU didn't in their 2nd year of transition, especially at home. But, when you get a chance to play in your first post-season tournament appearance, and it's your Men's BB program, and the game is 2 hours away, against a high-quality program from the Missouri Valley Conference...IMO, more than 200 fans should be showing up to show support for that kind of "milestone".

I guess if any USD posters disagree with me on this, go ahead, but I think the Argus agrees with me. Until the fans of USD show they want to support their athletic teams, other than when they play SDSU...the lack of pub. is probably what their going to get and probably what they deserve.

To get this thread back on track...it wouldn't surprise to find out that Joel Nielsen feels the same way and in the back of his mind, isn't sure the "culture" can be changed under his watch.

Go Jacks!!

Added Later:
          http://beta.argusleader.com/article/...ATES/100324023
          Last edited by propar80; 03-24-2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Report: USD athletic director Nielsen expected to be named Kent State AD

University of South Dakota athletic director Joel Nielsen is expected to be named the new athletic director of Kent State on Thursday, the Daily Kent Stater reported on its Web site Wednesday afternoon.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ATES/100324031

looks like neilsen will get the job.

guess i wasnt quick enough. : )

Comment

I'm not sure it would matter much what the culture is at USD. Kent State is a step up. Better conference (than the Summit, and certainly the Great West), D-IA accross the board, I assume a pay increase, etc.
                University of South Dakota:
                Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Does not surprise me.

I don't think the USD administration 'gets' athletics.

The sense I get, really, is that the athletic department there is an afterthought. An, 'oh, I suppose we have to have one' attitude, not unlike the attitude that has occasionally surfaced towards programs in the humanities at SDSU.

Comment

Good move for Mr Neilsen. No doubt more pay and more challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
                      I'm not sure it would matter much what the culture is at USD.
                      I'd say there wasn't much of an inducement to stay at USD.

Comment

I would say this is a great step-up for Joel. I know him a little bit and seems like a great guy and has a very nice family, so it doesn't surprise me that he interviewed well and got this position.
                        Good luck to him!

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Maybe USD can get a home and home in basketball with Kent State or other MAC teams. The same applies to SDSU since Joel and Sell have developed a good relationship over the last year.
                          Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

No doubt a good move for Nielsen but has to be a tough blow for USD. Turnover at that position during the transition process will create more challenges.

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Wow, that surprised me. On the one hand, I'm very happy that Gene is staying at NDSU. On the other, I'm wondering why a school would select Joel over him. Joel might be a good guy, but has he accomplished half of what Gene has? Oh well, I'm just happy that we got the better end of this deal(IMHO).

You also might want to check out how Bisonville has found God today. Our interim president just got knocked out of the search and there are many shouts of praise going up from the faithful.

Comment

Working...
                              X