Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woodside goes undrafted

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
    The NBA Summer League is held July 10-19 in Las Vegas.
    You can call it a league if the 'season' is only 10 days long?

That season's as short as the NBA season is long.... I keep thinking one of these years the Finals are going to get over with just a couple days before the preseason begins.

(pardon the OT.... Woodside, I'm sure, will make the most of whatever opportunity he gets)

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      You can call it a league if the 'season' is only 10 days long?

That season's as short as the NBA season is long.... I keep thinking one of these years the Finals are going to get over with just a couple days before the preseason begins.

(pardon the OT.... Woodside, I'm sure, will make the most of whatever opportunity he gets)
      I agree with you and I apologize if my tongue-in-cheek comments get taken out of context. If not for this forum I would have never even thought about the architecture on campus. I'm not qualified to comment on architecture on an architecture forum but I guess I feal okay on a forum about SDSU.

I hope Woodside achieves whatever he wants to achieve, just like the rest of us. If the TWolves summer league is the best place for that to start, good for him.

Thanks again for the anonymous negative rep with the flattering comments.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Woodside will probably get his shot in the D-League and I think he has the ability and work ethic to make it to the NBA, but he just had too much going against him to get drafted.

People point mostly to Woodside's height as the reason he wouldn't get drafted, but personally I think his age had more to do with it than anything. You just don't see many, if any, 5th year seniors get drafted in the NBA because the NBA draft is based more on potential than anything else, and 5th year seniors are viewed to have a low ceiling.

I truly enjoyed watching Woodside play ball (except against the Jacks) and I hope he at leasts gets an opportunity to compete for an NBA roster spot within the next couple years. The creme always rises, though it might not be at the same pace as others, and if Woodside has the talent to play in the NBA, he'll be there sooner or later. If not, he can still be proud of all he accomplished at the college level.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          Thanks again for the anonymous negative rep with the flattering comments.
          'twern't me boss.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            Woodside will probably get his shot in the D-League.....
            And if Minny keeps him that shot will be in Sioux Falls! Hey, I might actually have reason to go to a Skyforce game!!!

Comment

I didn't think he had a decent shot at getting drafted. Of course his agent said he would, he's an agent! Kemo hit the nail on the head with the 5th year senior thing. That was the biggest negative I think. I think he'll get multiple shots with different teams. Hopefully he can catch a break and find a good situation.

Comment

I feel both good and bad for Ben. The good being he still has opportunities to make the league, but of course bad because no matter which team you cheer for in the Summit, another player getting drafted out of the Summit can only be a positive thing. If you're not a first round selection, the 2nd round is usually reserved for overseas players anymore because that way the team will own their rights but won't have to put any salary money on their books... FA does obviously have its benefits.

A lot of your are right about his low chances in the draft and he definitely had negative things about his game, but doesn't everyone? Lack of height, sure. Lack of D? Well as him and I talked about a lot of times, when you're handling the ball 90% of the time, being expected to run the offense and score and all while playing 35 minutes/game, there isn't always energy for everything. He's a score first PG - anymore it seems like 80-90% of them are. People have compared him to Nash many times, but I think that may be a byproduct of the pick-n-roll that NDSU normally employs, so that their games look similar. Stephan Curry shot at least 10-15 times more per game than Ben and plays absolutely horrid D, but yet gets drafted 7th.... Hmmm....

Lastly, Ben will not, I repeat, will not, play in the D-League. C'mon ppl stay positive rather than tear a player from another team down....

Comment

Originally posted by huskon4ever View Post
                  I feel both good and bad for Ben. The good being he still has opportunities to make the league, but of course bad because no matter which team you cheer for in the Summit, another player getting drafted out of the Summit can only be a positive thing. If you're not a first round selection, the 2nd round is usually reserved for overseas players anymore because that way the team will own their rights but won't have to put any salary money on their books... FA does obviously have its benefits.

A lot of your are right about his low chances in the draft and he definitely had negative things about his game, but doesn't everyone? Lack of height, sure. Lack of D? Well as him and I talked about a lot of times, when you're handling the ball 90% of the time, being expected to run the offense and score and all while playing 35 minutes/game, there isn't always energy for everything. He's a score first PG - anymore it seems like 80-90% of them are. People have compared him to Nash many times, but I think that may be a byproduct of the pick-n-roll that NDSU normally employs, so that their games look similar. Stephan Curry shot at least 10-15 times more per game than Ben and plays absolutely horrid D, but yet gets drafted 7th.... Hmmm....

Lastly, Ben will not, I repeat, will not, play in the D-League. C'mon ppl stay positive rather than tear a player from another team down....

I'm confused, how is talking about Woodside playing in the D League tearing him down?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    I'm confused, how is talking about Woodside playing in the D League tearing him down?
                    Good question. Ben is quick enough I think but he has got a pretty small frame and he might even have problems holding his own with a huge dosage of steriods and extra body building. Those NBA guys are huge people. I happened to be in a hotel a few years back when the Lakers were playing San Antionio.
                    I practically ran into Phil Jackson in the elevator, he was getting off and I was getting on. I did not stand a chance in that collision, but Phil politely apologized and so did I. I did not ask for an autograph though as he appeared to be in a hurray. The point is size and body builds are greatly different from Summit and yes Woodsides tore SDSU a new one several times in his brief career, but that does not make him NBA ready. Maybe the D League is the most he can expect from his career. I don't fault anyone for having a dream.

Comment

I hope he gets to work out with NBA teams and is picked up by somebody. If not, the D League is a good place to go showcase his talent and try and get nocticed by a NBA team.

There's no shame in the D-League. Making it to the NBA is TOUGH. Not a lot of roster spots available.

I wish him the best of luck. As I said before, I'm glad we never have to see him again in a Bison uniform!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Good question. Ben is quick enough I think but he has got a pretty small frame and he might even have problems holding his own with a huge dosage of steriods and extra body building. .
                        The number 6 pick in the draft is somewhere between 0 and 10 pounds heavier and somewhere between .5 and 2 inches taller than Ben Woodside. Size isn't the problem, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
                          The number 6 pick in the draft is somewhere between 0 and 10 pounds heavier and somewhere between .5 and 2 inches taller than Ben Woodside. Size isn't the problem, imo.
                          Jonny Flynn (the #6 pick) has a 40 inch vertical leap, which was the best in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            Jonny Flynn (the #6 pick) has a 40 inch vertical leap, which was the best in the draft.
                            What does a vertical leap have to do with playing basketball?

Come on!

“I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
                              Wasn't Woodside overlooked by all DI programs coming out of high school except NDSU and SDSU? There may have been others interested, but I believe his only DI offers were from SDSU and NDSU.

Woodside came to NDSU with a chip on his shoulder and worked his tail off to get to where he is. I bet many programs would take him knowing what they know now.

Now he gets overlooked by some of the NBA teams.......probably going to have another chip on his shoulder to prove to people he is good enough.

I'm not saying whether or not he will make an NBA roster, but I wouldn't underestimate him either.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                What does a vertical leap have to do with playing basketball?

Come on!

Didn't say it had anything to do with his ability to play basketball, just saying there is more difference between the two than an inch or two or a couple pounds. Flynn is much more athletic than Woodside is.

I like Woodside alot, and I really do hope he gets his chance, I'm just saying he doesn't match up athletically with alot of the guys in the draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X