NDSU's Hermanson 2nd at NCAA 800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU's Hermanson 2nd at NCAA 800

NDSU's Laura Hermanson finished second at the NCAAs in the 800 meters, running 2:01.37. That's a fabulous accomplishment and a time that any track fan will get excited about.

Wow! A big-time All-American performance, setting an outstanding NDSU school record (well, duh! that's approaching world-class performance time).

Hermanson was awarded an NCAA Post-grad scholarship of $7500 a couple weeks ago.

Re: NDSU's Hermanson 2nd at NCAA 800

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    NDSU's Laura Hermanson finished second at the NCAAs in the 800 meters, running 2:01.37. That's a fabulous accomplishment and a time that any track fan will get excited about.

Wow! A big-time All-American performance, setting an outstanding NDSU school record (well, duh! that's approaching world-class performance time).

Hermanson was awarded an NCAA Post-grad scholarship of $7500 a couple weeks ago.
    Wonder why she lost to Emma Erickson of USD at Howard Wood? Oh well, she ran her best race when she needed to.Congradulations to her!

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Wonder why she lost to Emma Erickson of USD at Howard Wood? Oh well, she ran her best race when she needed to.Congradulations to her!
      There's a lesson there: even the best get beat once in a while (and, Erickson is darned tough and a real competitor).

The 800 is often a strategy race and early strategy dramatically impacts the end of a race. At the NCAAs today, Hermanson hung back early, running her pace for the first lap. I'm sure Hermanson and her coach talked about her first lap time so that it didn't zap her finishing strength.

Comment

Emma Erickson will be championship eligible either next year or the year after. USD fast-tracked their T&F programs, which means they'll be championship eligible two years early.

In Emma's case, that means all she'll have to do is meet the national qualifying standard (since T&F isn't a team sport, getting to the nationals without having a conference home is possible)...

---

In the meantime, that's a doggone impressive feat.

Comment

The Article from the Forum toady:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/243745/

anybody think the Summit commish is happy with the Dakota schools still!!!

Hell of a year us all hope it keeps rolling
          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Good article on the front page of the Fargo Forum. One point the writer, Jeff Kolpack, didn't get quite right was Coach Ryun Godfrey's quote. Kolpack has Godfrey saying he didn't think Hermanson would run that fast. He dropped off "this early". Godfrey has thought Hermanson would get to 2:01. In the future, watch for Hermanson to move up to specialize at 1500 meters. She's still improving and getting stronger.

Last season the NCAA men's Champ, Indoor and Outdoor, at 400 meters was a runner from ORU. This year, Hermanson was the top Summit-League finisher.

Comment

Okay, I've rewritten this thing about five times because I keep finding Summit athletes I've missed. I'm sticking with the basics from now on.

The USA Outdoor Nationals are being held this weekend in Eugene, Oregon. Winners will represent the US during the World Championships August 15-23 in Berlin.

Athletes Competing:

NDSU
              Laura Hermanson - 800m run - placed 10th in the prelims on Thursday - will compete in the semis tonight at 7:55(CT) - finals at 3:45 on Sunday
              Whitney Carlson - long jump - will compete Sunday at 2:30(no prelims or semis, just the final)
              Amanda Thieschafer(former Bison) - triple jump - will compete tonight at 6:50 in the finals

SDSU
              Ben Jasinski - triple jump - finished 17th yesterday evening in the finals - looks like he had some bad luck and fouled on his first and third attempts

The USA Juniors are being held simultaneously

Athletes Competing:

NDSU
              Kristen Killoran - long jump & triple jump - will compete at 12:30 Saturday and 5:00 Sunday, respectively
              Travis Fitzke - 1500m run - will compete at 1:20 on Saturday with a possible final at 5:15 on Sunday

Fargo South HS
              Laura Roesler - 800m run - will compete at 4:20 on Saturday with a possible final at 6:15 on Sunday

West Fargo HS
              Ellie Grooters - 400m hurdles - will compete at 2:00 on Saturday with a possible final at 5:55 on Sunday

I don't think there were any other Summit athletes competing, but I may have missed them if they were running unattached.
              Last edited by Hammersmith; 06-26-2009, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Oh, and here's one for the idiot record books. The results were just released for the year-end awards given to ND college athletes, coaches and programs as voted on by the ND AP sportswriters and sportscasters. Laura Hermanson didn't even make it as a finalist in the voting. I'd love to see her make the USA National Team this weekend and represent us in Berlin and show everyone in the state how dumb some of our TV, radio and newspaper sports reporters are.

Comment

Working...
                X