• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Ill. Drops (Then reinstates) Men’s/Women’s Swimming and Diving

Western Illinois Drops Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Programs
    Courtesy: The Summit League
    Release: 06/08/2009

MACOMB, Ill. (wiuathletics.com) - Western Illinois University Vice President for Student Services Dr. Garry Johnson and Assistant Vice President and Director of Athletics Dr. Tim Van Alstine announced at the Board of Trustees meeting Friday morning that the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics will eliminate its men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs in an effort to reduce annual operating expenses.

Re: Western Ill. Drops Men’s/Women’s Swimming and Diving

Just got a Twitter update from the Summit League that Western has reinstated Swimming and Diving.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
      Just got a Twitter update from the Summit League that Western has reinstated Swimming and Diving.
      That is funny. They just announced USD being added to the Summit League for Swimming & Diving on Friday. The only reason this was done was because WIU was dropping S&D. Oh well, I guess USD caught a little break. It does not really matter anyway, USD is going to be a full member in a few years anyway.

I don't think the USD / SDSU rivalry really carries over to Swimming & Diving, unless your a Rabid Rabbit.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
        That is funny. They just announced USD being added to the Summit League for Swimming & Diving on Friday. The only reason this was done was because WIU was dropping S&D. Oh well, I guess USD caught a little break. It does not really matter anyway, USD is going to be a full member in a few years anyway.

I don't think the USD / SDSU rivalry really carries over to Swimming & Diving, unless your a Rabid Rabbit.
        Some of my buds swam for USD. In fact, I even swam two summers for Doc McCullough (30 year USD swim coach) on the Vermillion Swim Team, while watching USD build the original DakotaDome. Never lost to the Yotes, but they were tight duals.

BTW, the USD/SDSU swim meets have continued the whole time through transition. I'm a bit surprised that UND (which has a REALLY STRONG S&D program) hasn't been swimming vs SDSU.

Good news if Leathernecks reinstated swimming and diving.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          Some of my buds swam for USD. In fact, I even swam two summers for Doc McCullough (30 year USD swim coach) on the Vermillion Swim Team, while watching USD build the original DakotaDome. Never lost to the Yotes, but they were tight duals.

BTW, the USD/SDSU swim meets have continued the whole time through transition. I'm a bit surprised that UND (which has a REALLY STRONG S&D program) hasn't been swimming vs SDSU.

Good news if Leathernecks reinstated swimming and diving.

In late October of 2008 at a swimming and diving meet hosted by the University of Wyoming held at Gillette, Wyoming, the UND men defeated South Dakota State 137-77, according to the sports information office at UND. The South Dakota State women did not compete against UND in that meet.

Comment

Swim / Dive is one area where UND has nothing to apologize for.

Of course back in the good ol' days, Oakland was winning all the NCAA D-2 championships when UND was winning all the NCC titles.

Comment

Working...
            X