Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Centenary going DIII?

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    New Orleans is in the same boat as Denver, and they're definitely a counter.

As far as Centenary goes, the fact that a majority of student athletes said they wouldn't return if Cent. went D-3 is significant as they represent a pretty substantial chunk of Centenary's overall enrollment.
    New Orleans' athletic programs are even more at risk than Centenary's. UNO is a state institution, and LA is cutting back bigtime at their state universities. Centenary is a private school.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

New Orleans is in the same boat as Denver, and they're definitely a counter.

As far as Centenary goes, the fact that a majority of student athletes said they wouldn't return if Cent. went D-3 is significant as they represent a pretty substantial chunk of Centenary's overall enrollment.
      they wouldn't return because D-III there is no scholarships.....

Comment

Denver works great in my opinion, in basketball they are in a similar boat to the majority of the Summit..... and travel works great with them because of a big airport......

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          Denver works great in my opinion, in basketball they are in a similar boat to the majority of the Summit..... and travel works great with them because of a big airport......
          The Summit assistant TV had on the live chat a while back said Denver wasn't in the Summit 'footprint'

Comment

they wouldn't return because D-III there is no scholarships.....
            And that means losing a significant percentage of enrolled students.... Not something that the administration wants, I would assume.

Comment

The Summit assistant TV had on the live chat a while back said Denver wasn't in the Summit 'footprint'
              It wasn't quite worded that way..... You won't see the Summit comment on Denver because they are members of another conference at this time. You will just see one day denver is now a member of the summit if it happens.....

Comment

It wasn't quite worded that way..... You won't see the Summit comment on Denver because they are members of another conference at this time. You will just see one day denver is now a member of the summit if it happens.....
                No. She said it quite clearly:

MKL: (Laugh.) Well ... as it relates to our league, Denver isn't necessarily in our footprint right now. We're trying to regionalize for the future.
                http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...=2009302260001
                3:25 time block

Denver & New Orleans have until 2011 to bring their sport counts up to Sun Belt mandated minimums:

Member institutions are expected to sponsor a minimum of fifteen (15)sports in which the conference offers a championship. There shall be a five-year (2012-2013)grace period for UNO and Denver to reach this standard.
                http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArt...ATCLID=1151032
                item 1 under membership standards

---

So it's likely Denver and New Orleans will be shopping within a few years and it's possible that the Summit will extend an invite, but the only official word from the Summit at this time is that they're 'not seen as a good fit' with where the Summit wants to go.

Comment

"Denver nessasarly isn't in our footprint right now." and "Denver isn't in are plans" are too different things..... Like I have said though, if Denver becomes a member it will just become a member, there won't be any public meetings or anything like that.

Comment

"Denver nessasarly isn't in our footprint right now." and "Denver isn't in are plans" are too different things
                    Re-read what I posted.

And yeah, Denver would probably get invited into the Summit sans a site visit.

But their athletics are none of the best, and they've only been D-1 since '98 or '99 or so, so the only thing they bring the Summit is academic respect.

Comment

Ok? Here is what I see in her quote. "as it relates to our league, Denver isn't necessarily in our footprint right now. We're trying to regionalize for the future."

Well, we would like to uh.... um.... we can't commment about them because they are members of another league. so they aren't necessarily in our plans..... What it sounds like to me is she is avoiding the question. what is she suppose to say? Yeah we are hoping that they are members in the same year? I think that if they weren't looking at them at all, or if Denver wasn't atleast showing interest it would of been a No, Denver has not applyed and we have not approached them about membership. She left wigle room, I took a political double speech class.... her comments were quite similar to most of the examples.

I understand that Denver isn't perfect but its a private school that is in pretty fair condition financially, its in a big city, it is regional, it will count as a counter, there basketball teams are great but aren't pathetic, they have a great arena (even if it is for hockey), and they have a really cool mascot....

Comment

Ok? Here is what I see in her quote. "as it relates to our league, Denver isn't necessarily in our footprint right now. We're trying to regionalize for the future."
                        You implied my summary of her comments was inaccurate. It was not.

Further, if Denver applied, what would be the delay? I agree with you, no site visit is necessary, so why aren't they already in, if they're interested and the Summit is willing to have them?

Also, if Douple has not identified any university that applied apart from UND, I doubt very much that Myndee Larson would feel free to exceed her boss's discretion and confirm/deny Denver's status.

IMO, her words speak for themselves. They are as concrete as an assistant commissioner's words can be: 'they don't quite fit our current strategy.'

Its in a big city, it is regional, it will count as a counter, there basketball teams are great but aren't pathetic
                        Small school in a big city/if the '07 Jacks beat them, they're pretty bad.

Comment

If Centenary leaves and Denver wants in, they get in.

The league will need another core member and there is no doubt Summit presidents will salivate when they see Denver's academics and market.

That said you won't hear a thing about more expansion until Cetenary decides what they are going to do and UND takes care of their nickname situation.

Comment

Working...
                          X