Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boo Summit League

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit View Post
    2008-2009 wins against NCAA Division I schools in Football, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball: SDSU 49-USD 3
    How many were WBB?

Also, straight up comparison is not valid. At all. Percentage of wins against D1 teams would be the only accurate way to make a comparison. I'm sure SDSU has a higher percentage, still.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Did the person on here who said I was just assuming the USD people think the transition is going to be a cakewalk read the post from coyote_fan?

Comment

But to say that their is such a wide gap between programs is ridiculous.
        SDSU rose to 14th in the country. Had the second best record in the nation. Beat four conference winners. Went 4-1 vs. the power conferences. Was beating #1 seed Maryland at halftime. Whipped TCU, in Texas, in the first round of THEE NCAA tournament and lost to powerhouse Baylor courtesy of a last second shot...not to mention three people wearing black and white striped shirts.

But of course they aren't much better than a 11-loss team transitional team playing D1's, D2's and NAIA's that lost to Concordia by 20, lost to Houston Baptist, UND (twice) and lost to the powerhouse known as Seattle University....three times.

Alrighty then....

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
          Did the person on here who said I was just assuming the USD people think the transition is going to be a cakewalk read the post from coyote_fan?
          If you ask CF if he thinks it will be an easy transition I think he'd tell you no. I'm very sure I've read posts of his on here where he has said it won't be easy.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            Unfortunately, the Summit League, other than SDSU and Oakland, have a LONG ways to get above middling. USD, if they can regain the form of the 2008 D-II runner up, is in a position to be a solid mid-major contender, ala SDSU or Florida Gulf Coast. Both SDSU, and FGCU have shown how to get the games, play anybody anywhere during transition, and build a successful program. I would LOVE to see another 3 Summit teams get into and hold onto a top 75 program, so that conference games are valued rather than discounted by the NCAA. I think that the 4 Dakota schools, if they bring their D-II success, turn the Summit into another A-10 or CAA which is getting 2-3 teams into the NCAA's rather than a 5th BCS conference team.

USD is a GOOD addition to the Summit, and so would the UND NOT SIOUX. This situation of the 4 Dakota schools coming to anchor the Summit is a better outcome than if the NCC had moved up together.
            I think that RR has reiterated a very important concept here. There was a time that some fans seriously questioned whether or not we really wanted to be in the Mid-Con, now the Summit, because of the quality of the league. But we also knew that the Big Sky turned the other cheek in our direction and that the Mo Valley isn't going to invite us for a long time. Back then we wrote about how the Mid-Con got better the week that they invited NDSU and South Dakota State.

If the Summit is to continue to improve it has to be done in one of two ways, or both. The first is for each member school to get better. There is a plan for that. Hopefully it works. The second is to invite new members who will be better than the old ones. The UxD's have potential to do that, at least in specific sports. I think that the Coyotes have potential in both men's and women's basketball as well as volleyball to do exactly that. They will be rivals. So are NDSU, ORU, and Oakland. Isn't it great to have a lot of rivals all at the same time and not worry about just one!
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
              I never said anything about the transition being easy. As far as the programs I don't think USD and SDSU are close right now in Women's basketball but alot of that has to do with the Coyote program being in a rebuilding year and of course alot of that has to do with SDSU having a very good program. Most likely USD will close the gap in the coming years. When I say the programs don't have a huge gap that was in response to a poster that said something to the effect that their wasn't even a comparison and when I say programs I mean the major programs within the Athletic Departments not just one program. In Mens Basketball there is definately a comparision and in football based on like opponents etc the programs don't have a wide gap between them. SDSU is a bit better but not heads and shoulders better. Just My Opinion.
              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Working...
              X