Boo Summit League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boo Summit League

Count me as one fan that couldn't care less about SDSU athletics 7 years ago.
    I'm with ya. I always followed and liked State, but not at the level I do now. 7 years ago Kansas was my team. I attended football and basketball games, events, met coaches, knew players, etc. I still follow KU, but it's all SDSU now and the move to D1 is why. Growing up me and my closest friend dreamed of SDSU going D1. He's a huge Michigan backer but even in recent years he's jumped on the Jackwagon and, like me, has started attending SDSU games instead of the national power he (and I) used to so passionately support.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
      I'm with ya. I always followed and liked State, but not at the level I do now.
      When I first arrived in Brookings seven years ago, I paid more attention to national sports than SDSU. The WBB was an eye-catcher, but the move up to Division I was the real attention-grabber.

SDSU, NDSU, USD, and UND have always had the profile of a Division I school, but chose not to assume that role in the world of collegiate athletics until recently. Having all four of these schools in the Summit League does not mean that the NCC has arisen from the ash heap of history. It simply means that the best of the NCC have chosen to take its rightful place as members of the Division I community,

Comment

SDSU, NDSU, USD, and UND have always had the profile of a Division I school, but chose not to assume that role in the world of collegiate athletics until recently. Having all four of these schools in the Summit League does not mean that the NCC has arisen from the ash heap of history. It simply means that the best of the NCC have chosen to take its rightful place as members of the Division I community,
        Agreed. Living in SoDakota most of my life and between Fargo and Grand Forks for 5 years, I knew all four schools were D1 schools. When Augie started talking about going D1 I nearly fainted. Augie and Morningside couldn't hang in the NCC. SCSU doesn't have the interest or support of a D1. The four mentioned Dakota schools are D1 schools. I think everybody is about where they belong now.

Comment

SCSU doesn't have the interest or support of a D1. The four mentioned Dakota schools are D1 schools. I think everybody is about where they belong now.
          The NCC Minnesota schools (St. Cloud St and MSU, Mankato) have the enrollment to be DI (both have larger enrollments than the XDSUs), but they just don't have the fan base to support any other DI sport besides hockey. The U of M takes up too many college sport fans in the area, plus they have all "Big 4" professional sport teams within 100 mile of their campuses that pull away potential fans of these schools. There are just too many alternative entertainment options in these schools' vacinity for them to move to DI and not have struggles financially (budget cuts are already taking effect the way it is at MSU).

And if that wasn't enough, the U of M would fight any attempt by another Minnesota public university to move up to DI tooth and claw.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

I'm with ya. I always followed and liked State, but not at the level I do now. 7 years ago Kansas was my team. I attended football and basketball games, events, met coaches, knew players, etc. I still follow KU, but it's all SDSU now and the move to D1 is why. Growing up me and my closest friend dreamed of SDSU going D1. He's a huge Michigan backer but even in recent years he's jumped on the Jackwagon and, like me, has started attending SDSU games instead of the national power he (and I) used to so passionately support.
            Okay----it turns out I minimized the impact that going D-1 has had in drawing -new- fans to SDSU.

However, now that USD has gone D-1 are any of those 'converts' to the way of the Rabbit going to switch allegiances to the 'Yotes?

IMO SDSU still has that 'first mover' advantage.

Comment

In five years what everyone will be talking about is which of the four Dakota D-1 schools has the best shot at winning the Summit men's basketball championshop (the women, well, we know who will be winning that), which has the second best football team (we know who will be first). Attendance for all four D-1 schools will be helped by the proximity of the rivalry. Other sports - swimming, baseball, softball, soccer - should be helped with the regional rivalries.
              The U.S. is normalizing relations with Cuba, for goodness sakes.... SDSU-USD can resume the rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                In five years what everyone will be talking about is which of the four Dakota D-1 schools has the best shot at winning the Summit men's basketball championshop (the women, well, we know who will be winning that), which has the second best football team (we know who will be first). Attendance for all four D-1 schools will be helped by the proximity of the rivalry. Other sports - swimming, baseball, softball, soccer - should be helped with the regional rivalries.
                The U.S. is normalizing relations with Cuba, for goodness sakes.... SDSU-USD can resume the rivalry.
                Well, the only question I have is which one is Cuba?

It really is a good move for both schools. For USD, the reasons are obvious: conference affiliation. But it does benefit SDSU in numerous areas as a lot of posters have pointed out. Once it sinks in a little more, I think most people will agree it is a good move for both schools.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I just want to know when Filbert is going to add USD to the front page of his blog. He has all of the Summit League teams athletic and message board sites linked.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                    I just want to know when Filbert is going to add USD to the front page of his blog. He has all of the Summit League teams athletic and message board sites linked.
                    I have a couple of years, don't I?
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I realize to may of you this will appear childish, mean spirited, poorly thought out, jealous of how easy USD got in to a conference, hateful toward USD. Regardless, my wish was for USD to remain Div II. Now SDSU will forever be linked with, confused with, and competing against the Yotes. I do not proclaim that USD is not deserving, however when people outside of the Dakota's don't even know the difference between NDSU and SDSU think how screwed up they will all be when we add one or two new Dakota acronyms in.
                      I just don't see enough talent in the upper Midwest to support 4 Div I athletic programs and be relatively competitive at national levels. No matter what that level might be. I really believe in 4-5 years that it will have an effect on our nationally ranked Div. I womens BB team. Put me down for whenever SDSU plays USD again in one of the major sports it will be too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        Some of you are angered about resuming the rivalry, others think it's wonderful. Frankly, I don't think the rivalry's coming back. I doubt if USD will draw much better than WIU. After all WIU's a rival in football as well as basketball and the posts on their board mentioned what a good game the last second victory over SDSU was. I just think people are sweating about nothing. This is no big deal. I bet in a few years the Summit will wish they picked up UVSU as a partner for SUU and left USD alone. SDSU-USD will turn into one big yawn with 2500 fans (if lucky) showing up at either site. The fact that it WAS one of the oldest rivalries in the country should (and will) count for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
                          I really believe in 4-5 years that it will have an effect on our nationally ranked Div. I womens BB team
                          How?

How will USD being D-1 affect SDSU in WBB? SDSU was ranked this year, USD caught North Carolina off-guard and scared them silly. You think USD is going to close that gap enough to impact SDSU's recruiting in 'four or five years?' I don't think so. Assuming that USD can interfere with what SDSU has in WBB does a disservice to just how good a coach AJ is. 3rd in the country for AP coach of the year. You think USD can touch that with a ten-foot pole? You've got this 9th grader in Canby whose parents are allegedly 'waiting' to hear from SDSU. That's what SDSU is in WBB. USD can't compete with that.

As to the whole 'not enough talent' line or reasoning, I'm not buying it. Minnesota has only one D-1 school. Five million people. One D-1 school.

That is a gross UNDER-representation.

Comment

From the P & D yesterday, not sure if the link will work, so I included an excerpt:

http://yankton.net/articles/2009/04/...9402679095.txt

One audience member questioned making the budget cuts amidst USD’s move to NCAA Division I for athletics. The audience member noted the previous day’s announcement that USD would be joining the Summit League.

“If our focus is on academics, and we cut them, but we put dollars into athletics, doesn’t that defeat our primary purpose?” the person asked.

Abbott said the athletic department has responded to the challenge of raising more money for scholarships. As a result, USD has gained nearly 200 additional student-athletes, both male and female, “and that’s not the worst thing,” he said.

Despite the continuing objections by many people, USD was left with little choice about the D-I move once the North Central Conference folded and few NCAA Division II options remained, Abbott said.

And the D-I move is also about perception, he said.

After South Dakota State University went Division I in 2004, the Brookings school received daily media coverage about the move, Abbott said.

In turn, Abbott worried that USD’s decision to remain in D-II at the time may have led the public to think it was not as strong a university as its Brookings counterpart.

The D-I move has already resulted in more USD applications from high school boys, Abbott said. USD has also enjoyed a shot of national prestige, he said.

“You are known by the company you keep and who you associate with,” he said. “I believe (D-I) was the right move. I just can’t prove it.”
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                              Some of you are angered about resuming the rivalry, others think it's wonderful. Frankly, I don't think the rivalry's coming back. I doubt if USD will draw much better than WIU. After all WIU's a rival in football as well as basketball and the posts on their board mentioned what a good game the last second victory over SDSU was. I just think people are sweating about nothing. This is no big deal. I bet in a few years the Summit will wish they picked up UVSU as a partner for SUU and left USD alone. SDSU-USD will turn into one big yawn with 2500 fans (if lucky) showing up at either site. The fact that it WAS one of the oldest rivalries in the country should (and will) count for nothing.
                              I disagree. What is your reasoning behind this? You state this over and over again but its just rhetoric without any reasoning. A rivalry that dates back over 100 years doesn't disappear after 7-8 years of absence.

Personally, I don't think the rivalry ever left. Why else would the smack section be full of udot posts? Why are there two threads about USD in this section alone full of posts? I know that I will attend every chance I can as will a large number of people I went to school with. We went from 100 years of a hot war to a period of cold war and we are getting ready to kick it off again. That's awesome IMO. Bring it on.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                                I disagree. What is your reasoning behind this? You state this over and over again but its just rhetoric without any reasoning. A rivalry that dates back over 100 years doesn't disappear after 7-8 years of absence.

Personally, I don't think the rivalry ever left. Why else would the smack section be full of udot posts? Why are there two threads about USD in this section alone full of posts? I know that I will attend every chance I can as will a large number of people I went to school with. We went from 100 years of a hot war to a period of cold war and we are getting ready to kick it off again. That's awesome IMO. Bring it on.
                                Exactly my thoughts. I think the Argus will hype up the first meeting quite a bit. And I will be shocked if it isn't on TV. You can count that I will def. be in Frost that night.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X