Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Summit split into a North and South?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Summit split into a North and South?

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

(Also, isn't there currently an NCAA imposed ban on conference hopping?)
    There is one but it's for schools wanting to move up from Division II or I-AA (aka FCS).

Comment

2) Here's my take on the AQ:

The NCAA has the ability to grant a waiver if the number of 'counter' schools drops below their threshold.
      Didn't the NCAA establish this rule primarily to keep underfunded programs from jumping to D-I solely for a piece of the March Madness cash cow? Frankly, the NCAA would likely be dealing with a few dozen Savannah States if it wasn't for this rule. (Plus, at lot more mid-major conference champs would be subject to play-in games for the Big Dance so the power conferences don't lose tourney slots.)

Isn't the waiver also only good for a two-year maximum?

Nevertheless, I would not want the Summit League to be at the mercy of the NCAA to grant a waiver if the conference were to lose a couple core members; the only possible saving grace would be the threat of Congressional hearings from some angry Senators.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
        Nevertheless, I would not want the Summit League to be at the mercy of the NCAA to grant a waiver if the conference were to lose a couple core members; the only possible saving grace would be the threat of Congressional hearings from some angry Senators.
        it's definitely not a preference of mine, either. But IMO a compelling case could be made for granting a waiver if it came down to it.

Comment

1) I don't think Oral Roberts (no football) has anywhere else to go. I don't think the MVC wants them, regardless of what the Wichita State AD says. There are no conferences above the Summit that would accept a non-football member with Oral Roberts' good but not outstanding baseball & basketball programs.

2) Here's my take on the AQ:

The NCAA has the ability to grant a waiver if the number of 'counter' schools drops below their threshold.

There is, IMO, an exceedingly strong case for granting that waiver--one I also posted over on Bisonville

Code:
                              2007-08   2008-09
          Baseball              NA        --
          Softball              NA      NDSU(?)
          Women's Basketball    NA       SDSU
          Men's Basketball      NA       NDSU
          Volleyball           SDSU      NDSU
          Women's Soccer        NA       SDSU
          Those six sports along with men's soccer are the team sports for which the Summit carries AQ status. The fact that SDSU & NDSU have nabbed every spot (assuming NDSU wins the conference softball tournament) they've been eligible for except (likely) baseball goes a long way to arguing for a waiver on AQ status.

Therefore, while I wouldn't want to say "AQ doesn't matter," I do think that its importance could be over emphasized.

(Also, isn't there currently an NCAA imposed ban on conference hopping?)
          Except for the fact that CBS has told the NCAA it would prefer not to have 65 in the tourney.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

What I like about the current format is it's fair as you play everyone home/away and nobody is excluded. I know that's not practical as you expand to 11 and eventually 12 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
              No doubt UND would be better for SDSU, NDSU & USD in regards to travel time & expenses. Will that be enough for the other schools to vote for UND over some of the other schools that may have applied? I don't know, but the other schools will also be looking and comparing their costs also. Maybe UND works out the best for everyone, maybe not.

Personally, my only reservation on USD before, and UND in the future, was how it would affect those schools that are key to holding on to the AQ status. That is everything because without the AQ for men's BB, rightly or wrongly, you are in an independent scheduling affiliation no matter what you call it.

Adding USD & UND really puts the Summit firmly in place as a Midwest or Northern Plains conference. I don't think that is so bad, but right now we need the three southern schools for the AQ. If there are concerns that any of those schools that may be looking at moving on, it needs to be addressed.
              This sums up my feelings perfectly. The AQ status is the most important issue.

Comment

If The Summit League stays at 11 for a while, who will the travel partners be for basketball etc? Will SDSU and NDSU stay together, USD be paired with UMKC and Southern Utah be by themselves with no change in the others? Probably doesn' matter much except that there is a lot more flexibility in how the home and home with the travel partner is scheduled.

Comment

This is a repeat of remarks in another thread...but it is HIGHLY unlikely the league will be at 11 teams. Despite Commissioner Douples' comments about...we can make 11 teams work, there is no doubt they want a 12th school in. And I know they are hoping it will be UND, but if they can't get their act together it's possible another school might be invited, or we might have 11 teams for one year. But all of the schools know they want 12 teams in the league.

Comment

Working...
                  X