No announcement yet.

New Sioux Falls events center update...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Sioux Falls events center update...

There are a minimum of 3 new downtown hotels in the planning process and I'm sure more will surface as the Phillips to Falls projects starts taking shape and if the new Event Center becomes a reality downtown. Lets face it with the exception of the Sheraton and Ramada most of the motels in the vicinity of the present Arena are horrendous at best!
    Last edited by JACKGUYII; 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

For those complaining about getting downtown, you should try taking the 10th Street exit off I229. It is about 24 blocks to Philips Ave or the old ZIP feed mill, 30 blocks to a Falls Park Events Center...

To me, I guess that's not too bad.

It is about 1.6 Miles from the Interstate to Frost Arena, about 1.6 miles from 229 to the ZIP Feed Mill. Getting downtown should not be a reason to not build downtown.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
        I doubt that any promoter will be concerned about a downtown location, provided that parking is sufficient, within a sufficient radius.
        I don't know if they would have concerns or not, that is why I would like to hear THEIR input.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Personally wherever they decide to build the event center I hope it's free standing as I thought the Home Show and Summit League Tournament going on at the same time was a cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            I don't know if they would have concerns or not, that is why I would like to hear THEIR input.
            Well, my inference of 'no problem here' as it relates to promoters is based on their willingness to schedule events at the Qwest and the Wells Fargo.

I mean, I guess they might raise objections about the size of Sioux Falls and a downtown location, but it's not like promoters in general shy away from downtown facilities.

Comment

Actually I wasn't thinking about promoters' thoughts just on parking, but on all the factors involved. It really has been one of the "stakeholders" in the issue that I have not seen any reporting on. I hope if someone does a piece on this that get the perspective of not just concert or sports promoters, but trade show and convention promoters.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Furthermore, the Arena isn't really within walking distance of Buffalo Wild Wings, let alone Nutty's North, and aside from the restaurant at the Sheraton, there's not much else there to keep people from leaving -immediately- after a game.

IMO there are reasons not to put the events center downtown, but congestion is not one of them.
                The Arena not walking distance of BWW or even Nutty's North? Huh? Who are you, the half ton man?

I have been at the Arena for several events where the Arena was packed and traffic was never a big issue. Heck, after the State-ORU game I was at Rookies 20 minutes after the horn sounded. I was at the last St. Pattys day parade in SF and it took me FOREVER to get out of there, and I was parked near Washington Pavilion (5 blocks to 14th st?), so I wasn't even in "deep downtown". I know when they (tried to) blast the big elevator on 6th street that traffic was a nightmare at that time as well.

I don't care where it goes. I like the north Phiilips idea (the Qwest center in downtown Omaha looks very nice with it's surroundings, and so on) w/ a tunnel from the parking ramp they would have to build accross the street but it seems that would take up some of the best real estate in town to put up a parking ramp and arena. Just build it!!!

Comment

Would you guys want an arena that is football-friendly?

Build it, move the state football championships to Sioux Falls. Move the state basketball here too, all three classes. Put them all on TV. Let them play their 3rd, 5th and 7th place games, but move those games to the old Arena or USF or Augie and/or a high school(s). Show all the semifinal and championship games on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                    The Arena not walking distance of BWW or even Nutty's North? Huh? Who are you, the half ton man?
                    Okay, it's not a =pleasant= walk, and it's only two restaurants....
                    I was at the last St. Pattys day parade in SF and it took me FOREVER to get out of there, and I was parked near Washington Pavilion (5 blocks to 14th st?), so I wasn't even in "deep downtown".
                    Those events, I think, draw way more than 5-6k to downtown.

Also a MAJOR factor with parades, Automania, etc., is that they close streets for those events, thus totally disrupting normal traffic flow.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                      Would you guys want an arena that is football-friendly?
                      NO! Football-friendly is irreconcilably unfriendly for everything else!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        concert ... promoters
                        I think concert promoters might be (IMO, legitimately) concerned about Sioux Falls' proximity to Omaha (although Fargo is about as close to the cities).

It may also turn Fargo & Sioux Falls into competitors for the same acts. It seems hard to imagine that, for instance, Bruce Springsteen would schedule dates in -both- Fargo & Sioux Falls.....

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          NO! Football-friendly is irreconcilably unfriendly for everything else!
                          I second this motion!
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

It is time to get rid of HOWARD WOOD FIELD!

All the High Schools in town need to just build their own staduim like Harisburg, O'Gorman, Sioux Falls Christian and then nobody need to play at Howard Wood. Tear it down and put the Events Stadium right there!

End of Story! Can I get an Amen?

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                              You'll need one from the FAA.

Height restrictions are in effect at that location. That's why the Sheraton is only 6 stories tall and the same height as the current Arena. Instead of being the typical J.Q. Hammons cube (viz: Holiday Inn Rushmore Plaza in Rapid City), the Sheraton was built with a funny spur off to one side of it, in order to meet the program's required number of rooms, in the allotted height.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                                It is time to get rid of HOWARD WOOD FIELD!

All the High Schools in town need to just build their own staduim like Harisburg, O'Gorman, Sioux Falls Christian and then nobody need to play at Howard Wood. Tear it down and put the Events Stadium right there!

Amen...

You would think after the Summit League Tournament brought over $2Million+ to the SF econmy...http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=25,83224 that building a new events center in SF ANYWHERE would be a top priority.

But I compare SF and the Events Center to when I used to work at a Country Club in MN when I was in college...I would get the "Ranger" shift every once in a while and it was funny to witness 40 plus year-old professionals acting like a bunch of 15 years old that don't get their way.
                                Not EVERY person in SF is going to get EXACTLY what they want with the Events Center...so pick a damn site...build it and in 10 years after a couple of NCAA D-1 Women's Tournaments come to town and $5 Million+ for each filters into the SF economy, people will forget what option they even wanted in the first place.

I love how SD is practically the lowest taxed State in the nation and we got a bunch of naysayers that are worried about a tax on Bed and Booze that most of SF residents won't notice anyway. For God's sake, does anyone realize that registering the same two cars in this state at $100/year costs almost $800 per year in Omaha, NE??? This is just one small example of how cheap is actually is to live in this State.

The fact that SF as a city is not any closer to an E.C. after how successful the Summit League Tournament was makes me want to puke. Have some F#$KING vision.

Whew...I haven't posted a long-one in a while....that felt kind of good. On the other hand I can't believe I wasted another 15 minutes of my life on this subject, when I know in my heart what the outcome will be.
                                Remember...SD was the LAST State in the NATION of have a D-1 program of ANY KIND. SDSU fans especially should realize how nice it is to actually pave a path to something better.

Go Jacks!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X