Cheer Squads/Dance Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheer Squads/Dance Teams

I do think the cheerleading squad has always been pretty much an afterthought for the athletic administration at SDSU . . . something they know they have to have but not something they're willing or able to put much effort/resources into.

I'm still of the opinion that the pre-game and the in-game time-outs need to be better scripted between the band, cheerleaders, game announcer, and pre-recorded music, to get the crowd more into the game and backing our student-athletes more vocally.

(And no, I'm not necessarily volunteering to do that scripting. Unless I'm asked, of course. )
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Everything is scripted and it starts with Corporate Sponsorship first unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
        geez guys unbunch the panties. No where in there did he say that Micah did a bad job. All he said was Micah didn't like dealing with the cheerleaders. Fact is, no one did. I did notice that the band kinda got the idea by the last day of the tourney they were yelling and participating. Now they just have to expand their playlist.
        No bunching in my panties. I'm pleasantly unbunched.

I was just trying to move away from blaming any one person for the problem.

Filbert:

You're right, of course, and events are carefully scripted. The problem is that in our own gym and stadium some of the auxiliary groups have either resisted being scripted, have resisted suggestions from athletics, or have actively subverted the scripts they were given. It's been an epic, sometimes pretty childish struggle between the "we've always done it this way" people and the promotions people who have an event to run.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Another thing to consider:

If this tournament was held at Tulsa, say, do you think that SDSU's band and traveling fans would've made considerably more noise? IMO, yes. Being a substantial minority made the visiting bands and fans louder than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            Another thing to consider:

If this tournament was held at Tulsa, say, do you think that SDSU's band and traveling fans would've made considerably more noise? IMO, yes. Being a substantial minority made the visiting bands and fans louder than normal.
            This is a good point. Part of the "problem" (to the extent it was a problem) was the SDSU community (not just the band and the cheerleaders) possibly perceiving that the tournament were pretty much home games.

I'm not sure the opponents, especially Oakland in the final, thought it was too much of a problem.

If nothing else, the League and others in D-I who are paying attention now know that SDSU brings it for basketball--men's and women's.
            Last edited by filbert; 03-14-2009, 02:45 PM. Reason: grammar correction
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
            X