Rapid City Hosting Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rapid City Hosting Tourney

[QUOTE=TeaJackrabbit;116367][quote]I've thought about it as Rapid City has 10 times the facility that Sioux Falls has,
    Really? What am I missing? Did you guys do a total remodleing job? Neither are anything to be proud of, but "10 times the facility"?

Actually, and I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but Rapid City blows my mind. The closest school to RC in SDSU, and then NSU and those two are 4.5 and 7+ hours away. Plus, RC has a hard time supporting events. They couldn't keep their CBA or indoor football team, they have no major college nearby, I don't think their interest in SDSU is anywhere near that of the Sioux Falls area, they are less than half the population, they don't have a guy who used to run NCAA Regional Tourneys working for them and they don't have near the corporate support that SF does. The Quad cities makes sense b/c it is somewhat in the area of Oakland, IUPUI, IPFW, WIU and not a bad drive from UMKC, not to mention it's close enough that the NDSU and SDSU fans would easily travel there. That's 7 schools out of 10 that would have a good reason to be in attendance. Right now it's Sioux Falls, Fargo and Quad Cities and I just can't see anywhere else.
    I'm not talking about the arena.... arena.... though the one in rapid is better.... I'm talkinga bout whole complex.... Rapid has another arena, 2 convention halls, a theatre, and a concessions area.....

Rapid keeping minor league teams had nothing really to do with fan support.... most of there teams were supported very well, they just never had the right type of owners..... I have said I don't think Rapid can get the sponsership money that Sioux Falls can but I could see other presidents saying that they would rather go to Rapid City and play in a more nuetral enviroment, a place were there fans can do something outside of wach basketball and a complex that has a practice arena onsite, numerous rooms for players/coaches/media... and so on.....

all what I am saying is if money for money was there I think that the league would take Rapid.... I just don't see the money being there atleast as of right now....

Comment

After this past Summit Tourney in SF, you think that if the money were equal they would choose RC over SF?

And do they really want fans having more options outside of basketball?

I say no way is the Summit interested in having a tourney in western South Dakota. I think they are way, way more interested in dollar bills and having the tourney attended well than having it be neutral. Harldy any conference tourneys are truly neutral. Heck, why not make the Big XII completely neutral and play the tourney in Caifornia? It's b/c worried about it being neutral is not very close to the top of anyones list. How many years now has the Big East Tourney been played in MSG? This may sound pompous but SF might very well be the New York/MSG of the Summit...at least as fat as the conference tourney goes.

Comment

Summit officials are driven by MONEY. Attendance would suffer significantly taking the tournament to Rapid City (Rapid City has half the population Sioux Falls does) thus a loss of MONEY. Corporate sponsorships would be way down (there are 3-4 times more businesses in the Sioux Falls area) and therefore a loss of MONEY.

There is no way the tournament will be in Rapid City.

Comment

Working...
        X