Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    There are 50,000 alumni and a ton of Minnesota kids on our teams, there is a local connection in Minneapolis. I don't think you guys have the right perspective on this, I've been two NDSU football games and of course the NCAA tournament in Minneapolis and it was amazing how many NDSU fans were there. Add in fans of the other three dakota schools and the town could be taken over. The media will cover local athletes and since the city doesn't get conference tournaments it would be unique.

I think it should be given a try. If it fails it is a two year deal and would never be tried again. What is the harm in that?
    Although NDSU fans do travel well, how many NDSU fans do you think would show up in Minneapolis if NDSU wasn't in the tournament? Or lost in the first round? I do not ask this as smack--in the future, with 1/3 of the conference schools missing the tourney, it is a very real possibility. Ours will likely be a 12 team league in the near future, and under the current format that means 4 teams staying home.

The perspective that many on this board do have is that no matter who is in the tournament, it will always be a big deal in the eyes of the Sioux Falls Media. Which will give it more exposure than it could ever hope to get in Minneapolis. Which, in theory will lead to more tickets sold.

Minneapolis has a higher risk/reward. Sioux Falls is the safe bet--a bet the conference made at a time when SDSU was not very good at men's basketball. Why take a risky bet on an inexperienced Bison team?

Of course all of this is moot until someone from Minneapolis actually bids for the tournament.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Could one explanation be that the tournament set attendance marks in sioux falls?
      Why mess with a proven thing?
      DII and the NCC were proven things; I guess we shouldn't have messed with them. The Mid-Con tourney set new attendance records when it moved to Tulsa, I guess it should have stayed there.

Personally, I think MSP wouldn't work because I agree with those who think it needs to be in a city where the tourney is a big deal, but keeping it in SF forever just because it was a success in its first year is just as short-sighted as the decisions of the UxD leadership when the xDSUs went DI. A single year of data is not enough to make long-term plans. Let's give it to SF for 2011-12 and see how the next two years pan out. Then, we'll see if Fargo, MSP, Tulsa, Quad Cities, or Indy can put together competitive bids for 2013-14 and let the chips fall where they may. Just because SF did a fantastic job this year doesn't mean another city can't do even better.

Also, how about we wait and see how Jack fans travel to the Gopher football game? One of the reasons a lot of Bison fans like the MSP idea is because of the great time they had during the two Bison-Gopher FB games. You guys haven't had that experience yet, but will in a few months. Tickets will be harder to come by because of the new stadium, but it still may change the outlook of some of you.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        Although NDSU fans do travel well, how many NDSU fans do you think would show up in Minneapolis if NDSU wasn't in the tournament? Or lost in the first round? I do not ask this as smack--in the future, with 1/3 of the conference schools missing the tourney, it is a very real possibility. Ours will likely be a 12 team league in the near future, and under the current format that means 4 teams staying home.

The perspective that many on this board do have is that no matter who is in the tournament, it will always be a big deal in the eyes of the Sioux Falls Media. Which will give it more exposure than it could ever hope to get in Minneapolis. Which, in theory will lead to more tickets sold.

Minneapolis has a higher risk/reward. Sioux Falls is the safe bet--a bet the conference made at a time when SDSU was not very good at men's basketball. Why take a risky bet on an inexperienced Bison team?

Of course all of this is moot until someone from Minneapolis actually bids for the tournament.
        UND is probably just as connected with MSP as NDSU is. I don't know what would happen if NDSU didn't make it or lost. I suppose there would still be the womens team to follow and I think NDSU fans would be a bit more likely to take a four day vacation to MSP then SF and I'm sure fans of other schools would say the same thing. I guess there is no way of knowing until it happened. It is a gamble, I'll admit that.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Warning: off-the-wall, rampant personal speculation ahead. Your mileage may vary.

I think part of the relative difference in reaction to the tournament in MSP lays in the fact that, in my perception at least, there is a much, much stronger cultural connection between North Dakota and Minnesota/Minneapolis-St. Paul than exists between the city and state and South Dakota.

For most North Dakotans, Minneapolis/St. Paul is the only major city that really matters. While it's THE major city for a lot of South Dakotans as well, Denver, KC, and even Omaha and Chicago all have pieces of the "big-city" cultural influence in SD as well. So South Dakotans may not look quite as automatically towards MSP as the major urban center as ND folks may tend to do. Not saying that Denver and Winnepeg don't also have that big-city pull for ND, just that SD has a bit different relationship to MSP that ND does in the aggregate.

Of course, there's also the fact that SD has already hosted the tournament and, perhaps, there's a feeling that in some way it's "theirs" and SD folks don't want to share it with MSP.

Just a diversion into pop sociology, and of course IMHO.
          That is probably right on, eastern ND is very connected with MSP and it goes way back. I don't think there is any other major metro that eastern ND identifies with other than MSP.

I also think the fact that SD has hosted the tournament and it went well is also playing into this, that said you guys are probably going to have to share it eventually. Fargo will probably put a strong bid in next time but our AD is worried about the weather, he said if Fargo was hosting it this past year the conference wouldn't forget about the blizzard that hit us. That was a bad blizzard by ND standards, I shudder to think what people not from here would have thought about it.

Luckily we have never had a weather issue for any of our conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
            Personally, I think MSP wouldn't work because I agree with those who think it needs to be in a city where the tourney is a big deal, but keeping it in SF forever just because it was a success in its first year is just as short-sighted as the decisions of the UxD leadership when the xDSUs went DI. A single year of data is not enough to make long-term plans. Let's give it to SF for 2010-11 and see how the next two years pan out. Then, we'll see if Fargo, MSP, Tulsa, Quad Cities, or Indy can put together competitive bids for 2012-13 and let the chips fall where they may. Just because SF did a fantastic job this year doesn't mean another city can't do even better.
            And quite frankly, if nobody else pushes Sioux Falls, it is likely to stagnate in the future. I don't want that to happen, but if in the fifth or sixth year, the newness will have worn out but it hasn't been around long enough to really have established itself as a "Sioux Falls Tradition." Not saying that I want it to go anywhere else, but I do admit that this may have been a unique year in which to evaluate how it works in Sioux Falls. The SDSU women were in an unbelievable position from a national perspective, and NDSU's men were one of the favorites in their first year of eligibility. SF never gets the newness again, and who knows how the various teams story lines will play out.

Last year was magic for me. I know that the magic was created by a lot of hard work by a lot of people, however there was a little bit of luck thrown in also. I sure hope it happens again next year.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I don't understand why some seem so anxious to move the tourney out of our own backyard.

It might be more fun to spend a few days in Minneapolis than in Sioux Falls, but the idea is to win the tournament. I like our chances a whole lot better with a major home-court advantage. We have that in SF. It won't be matched anywhere else except in Brookings, and we know it can't be there.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I think whether it's in Sioux Falls or Fargo having it in a community that is near the university and the core of it's most avid supporters allows them to drive in for tournament games each day when their respective team plays and sleep in their own bed at night. Let's face it there will be a lot of fans who can't afford the time off or the money to spend four days in the Twin Cities. I'm also not convinced you will galvonize those alumni bases in the Twin Cities to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                  There are 50,000 alumni and a ton of Minnesota kids on our teams, there is a local connection in Minneapolis. I don't think you guys have the right perspective on this, I've been two NDSU football games and of course the NCAA tournament in Minneapolis and it was amazing how many NDSU fans were there. Add in fans of the other three dakota schools and the town could be taken over. The media will cover local athletes and since the city doesn't get conference tournaments it would be unique.

I think it should be given a try. If it fails it is a two year deal and would never be tried again. What is the harm in that?
                  Looking at the mens rosters for SDSU,USD and UND there are 8 Minnesota players with only 3 of them from the Twin Cities area. The Twin Cities media during this time period is already covering state high school tournaments (4 classes each in boys and girls basketball,2 classes each of boys and girls hockey and 3 classes of wrestling ),The WCHA Final Five,the mens and womens Gopher teams in the Big 10 tournament,the Timberwolves and Wild,plus the Twins in the heart of spring training. It doesn't look to me like there is much potential for a lot of coverage for a handful of Twin Cities players that play for colleges located hundreds of miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Looking at the mens rosters for SDSU,USD and UND there are 8 Minnesota players with only 3 of them from the Twin Cities area. The Twin Cities media during this time period is already covering state high school tournaments (4 classes each in boys and girls basketball,2 classes each of boys and girls hockey and 3 classes of wrestling ),The WCHA Final Five,the mens and womens Gopher teams in the Big 10 tournament,the Timberwolves and Wild,plus the Twins in the heart of spring training. It doesn't look to me like there is much potential for a lot of coverage for a handful of Twin Cities players that play for colleges located hundreds of miles away.
                    The Final Five doesn't start until the beginning of the NCAA tournament, the Big 10 tournament doesn't start until the after the Summit is done. I believe high school hockey is later as well. The Summit seems to fall into an area where it is just before everything gets going.

Add NDSU in and you have what, 16 Minnesota players and 6 from the metro. That is a decent amount, I think they'll get coverage since it would be a unique event. Media likes new and interesting stories, especially when there is a local angle.
                    Last edited by FargoBison; 06-04-2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                      I don't understand why some seem so anxious to move the tourney out of our own backyard.

It might be more fun to spend a few days in Minneapolis than in Sioux Falls, but the idea is to win the tournament. I like our chances a whole lot better with a major home-court advantage. We have that in SF. It won't be matched anywhere else except in Brookings, and we know it can't be there.
                      I'm not anxious for it to leave Sioux Falls, but just like our goal is to win the tournament, that is the goal of the 9 other conference members. I don't think there is anything wrong with speculating on where else the tournament may go if it leaves SF. Remember, I said IF it leaves Sioux Falls.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

So . . . who in the Twin Cities do you think will actually prepare and submit a bid to host this tournament?
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

So . . . who in the Twin Cities do you think will actually prepare and submit a bid to host this tournament?
                          I've been busy and just jumped on this thread, but as for the above comment.......true enough. Ain't gonna happen in the cities.....I promise. I know everyone else in the conference gets balled up.......but why take it out of SF for now? Why? Screw fairness. You want it in your town, then step up. It's not about stroking everyone. No reason, as of now, that SF should worry about losing it. No reason, as of right now, the Summit should think about another destination.

Sioux Falls is KING! Bow down.

Comment

If Sioux Falls continues to produce the kind of corporate sponsorship package that it won the current bid with, I think it will be difficult to ever take this tournament away from here.

Now I don't know how that sponsorship money will continue to hold up in future Sioux Falls bids, or if other host sites will use this time to find a way to ramp up the the sponsorships they can collect.

It is the sponsorship money that drives this thing. The tournament in Sioux Falls was pretty well paid for by sponorship dollars before the first tip off, so that means more income back to the Summit League and that's really what its all about.

You could have a site that would draw a great attendance, but without the corporate partners to pay for the tournament, most of the gate and peripheral imcome would go to playing for a break even tournament. If SF can continue to offer both items, the league will find it hard to justify moving it anywhere in the near future.
                            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

This thread seems to have morphed into a dream (where would be a great place to go), nonsense (Las Vegas), oh wait...let's just have it in Minneapolis. And some of the posts seem to have lost sight of the facts: the Summit League is in Sioux Falls next year as part of the two-year award; the new bid is for the next two years. The only bids I'm aware of were submitted by Sioux Falls and Tulsa...and if my conversation with a member of the Board of Trustees for Oral Roberts was truthful, Tulsa isn't going to submit a bid that will beat what Sioux Falls offers.

So dreams can continue to abound, but until some place other than Tulsa and Sioux Falls submit bids (and I would assume Fargo will try the next time around as well), just get used to the fact that the tourney will be in Sioux Falls next year, and either Sioux Falls or Tulsa for the following two years...period.

Comment

Target Center is always looking for money and attention and attendence.
                                I could see 10,000 at the summit league tourney at target center based on NDSU/SDSU alone being there. IUPUI, OAKLAND, et al can easily fly into minneapolis and shop at MOA and be entertained anywhere.
                                I really can see it at target center, timberwolves could have a game on sunday night in the middle of the tourney as well, that would be cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X