Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Will Summit tourney stay in Sioux Falls?

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    There is only one real reason the Summit would balk at Fargo: money. Facilities could be an issue, I don't know what it's like watching basketball in the FFD. If Fargo puts in a better bid than Sioux Falls, they get the tournament, simple as that.

The Summit is not a rich enough or high profile enough conference to host their tournament just anywhere. They need the revenue, and as long as Sioux Falls provides the most revenue, the tournament will be here. Be it for the next 3 years or 30, as long as Sioux Falls puts together the best financial package for the Summit, it will be here.
    What he said.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

A couple things about the last two pages of posts:

1. Minneapolis would not be better attended. First, nobody in Minneapolis would care that this is going on outside of any alimni in the area. With all 4 major professional sports and the U of M it just isn't likely the sports consumer is going to be excited about the Summit League Championship.

2. If not mistaken, the current rules state the tournament can't be held in an on-campus facitltiy which eliminates Fargo and Grand Forks. Besides, Fargo has nothing more to offer than Sioux Falls other than colder temps.

3. It is all about the Benjamins. The biggest bid factored with potential attendance will get the tournament. Sioux Falls is going to be really tough to beat. For Minneapolis to get the tournament would take a significantly higher bid because it is good for the Summit League to be playing where there is high fan interest. In South Dakota and North Dakota this thing is a big deal!

I would think that Bison and Sue fans would be excited about it being in Sioux Falls versus anywhere else in the league. I can buy that they would like it in the Minneapolis versus Sioux Falls but that probably won't happen.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

2. If not mistaken, the current rules state the tournament can't be held in an on-campus facitltiy which eliminates Fargo and Grand Forks. Besides, Fargo has nothing more to offer than Sioux Falls other than colder temps.
        The Fargodome is not an on-campus facility and not the home court of NDSU...so they wouldn't be eliminated by that rule.

The Ralph might not be either for that matter (I don't know for sure), but UND isn't even in the Summit League so why are we talking about them hosting the tournament.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

You can say that money is all that matters, but if a blizzard rolls through and the ESPN guys and fans can't even get to the arena...It would be a disaster that nobody is going to forget about. You should be thankful that stayed north.

The Fargodome has plenty of money, they have millions just sitting in a bank account collecting interest, Fargo can put together a very strong and aggressive bid. I am not worried about that I just am not sure if the other members will be happy with it being in the Dakota's long term.

Comment

Regarding Minneapolis: In the words of Charles Barkley, "That's turrable." As others stated, little fish in a big pond. Sioux Falls will continue to host as long as the support is there financially and attendance keeps up. Best bid = host the tourney.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

There will be two primary power bases in this league with current/expected members. First is the Dakotas base (I-29 5some). The other is Indiana based (WIU/Oakland/IPFW/IUPUI). Both ORU, but especially SUU, are outliers that won't be the base of power that either of the first two groups will bring. The centerpoint of the I-29 group is Sioux Falls. The other group, Terra Haute?

As long as the eastern schools attract crowds like they do, and Dakota schools like we are, and were in NCC days, the Dakota schools will become the dominant force in the Summit.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                You can say that money is all that matters, but if a blizzard rolls through and the ESPN guys and fans can't even get to the arena...It would be a disaster that nobody is going to forget about. You should be thankful that stayed north.

The Fargodome has plenty of money, they have millions just sitting in a bank account collecting interest, Fargo can put together a very strong and aggressive bid. I am not worried about that I just am not sure if the other members will be happy with it being in the Dakota's long term.
                Another benefit of having the games in Sioux Falls: one of the best hotels in town is attached to the Sioux Falls Arena. In the event of bad weather, ESPN analysts wouldn't even have to step outside the building. I would guess there are about 1000 hotel rooms either on site or across the street in Sioux Falls.

I would put T. Denny/First Premiere, Sanford Hospital, and Daktronics money against the FargoDome account any day of the week. And if you understand the politics currently in play in Sioux Falls, First Premiere and Sanford both have huge interests in keeping the tournament here. Not to mention a bunch of other heavy hitters around town and the state that want to keep it here.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Fargo has much more than just the Dome account. SF's bid could easily be matched.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                    Fargo has much more than just the Dome account. SF's bid could easily be matched.
                    Anybody that thinks Fargo can't compete with SF is wrong, It will be here someday until then SF is hosting a good show I would like it to rotate SF, Fargo, but thats just me
                    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                      Anybody that thinks Fargo can't compete with SF is wrong, It will be here someday until then SF is hosting a good show I would like it to rotate SF, Fargo, but thats just me
                      I have no doubt that Fargo could compete with Sioux Falls financially and i would assume Fargo will get a bid someday just to change things up.

But if Sioux Falls gets the new 10-12,000 seat event center built (which could happen by the time the current Sioux Falls SL bid runs out) it would be real difficult for Fargo to convince the Summit League to take the tourney away from a proven site with a brand new basketball-minded arena and put it in a place like the Fargodome which isn't real basketball friendly.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                        The Fargodome is not an on-campus facility and not the home court of NDSU...so they wouldn't be eliminated by that rule.

The Ralph might not be either for that matter (I don't know for sure), but UND isn't even in the Summit League so why are we talking about them hosting the tournament.
                        Maybe it is because the F Dome is home football field. I've been told that under the current rules Fargo isn't eligible due to facility issues.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think it would be great if Sioux Falls and Fargo trade the thing back and forth for the foreseeable future. Either way, it's close by and will be well attended. Let's just keep it away from Tulsa.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                            I have no doubt that Fargo could compete with Sioux Falls financially and i would assume Fargo will get a bid someday just to change things up.

But if Sioux Falls gets the new 10-12,000 seat event center built (which could happen by the time the current Sioux Falls SL bid runs out) it would be real difficult for Fargo to convince the Summit League to take the tourney away from a proven site with a brand new basketball-minded arena and put it in a place like the Fargodome which isn't real basketball friendly.
                            They (the Summit League) Could care less about a new facility its all about money which is why its in SF, otherwise really the SF Arena isn't that great
                            BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              I think it would be great if Sioux Falls and Fargo trade the thing back and forth for the foreseeable future. Either way, it's close by and will be well attended. Let's just keep it away from Tulsa.

Touche
                              BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

They (the Summit League) Could care less about a new facility its all about money which is why its in SF, otherwise really the SF Arena isn't that great

I agree, It might not help, but it sure cant hurt. If someone would bid 10 million clams to play it in a high school gym on the northern most point of Alaska, we would be having the tourny in Alaska no matter what the gym condition would be.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X