Commissioner's Cup 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Commissioner's Cup 2009

Well with the second day of the Track and Field meet complete, SDSU is creeping up on Oral Roberts for first place in the Commissioners Cup.

Currently ORU has 93 points and with the current standings in the Men's T&F will get 1.5 points and the Women's T&F will get 4 points, for a total of 98.5 points.

SDSU had 85.5 points heading into this weekend and with the current standings in the Men's T&F will get 5 points and the Women's T&F will get 6 points, for a total of 96.5 points. If the baseball team wins tomorrow and Centenary loses, SDSU will gain 1 point in the standings. There is still the issue of UMKC forfeiting the MBB game, which would also give SDSU another point. If those things come about, SDSU would tie with Oral Roberts for the title.

Of course ORU could improve their stanings in the T&F tomorrow, but so could SDSU.

Go State!!!
    Go Jacks!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

The post mentioning the MBB forfeits has been on the UMKC fan site since 4/21 ,been viewed 254 times, and not been rebutted. Is there another shoe to drop?

Comment

SDSU picked up another point in BB, for 6. Currently sitting at 11 pts total for T&F vs. 7 for ORU.

Looked at the SUU website, appears as though SDSU is pretty solidly 3rd, ORU might creep up to 4th, on the W side. On the M side, SDSU again, pretty solid in 3rd, but ORU could slip to 6th (OU is behind by 4 pts. with 3 events to go).

It looks like ORU wins the all sports award by 1.5 or 2.5 points (85.5 + 12 = 97.5, 93 + 7 = 100)
        Last edited by zooropa; 05-16-2009, 03:55 PM.

Comment

NorCalJack can the Commissioner's Cup be updated yet?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            NorCalJack can the Commissioner's Cup be updated yet?
            Yeah, work is getting in the way though.

I will update it when I get in tomorrow.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
              Yeah, work is getting in the way though.
              Stupid work getting in the way of the important things in life.

Comment

Well the first post has the final standings for the Commissioner's Cup for 2008-09.

SDSU ended up in 2nd place in the overall standings with 96.5 points. Last year SDSU ended up in 3rd place with 94.5 points

The SDSU Women won the Helen Smiley Women's All Sports award for the second consecutive year with 60 points. This is down from 67.5 points last year.

The SDSU Men jumped up to 6th place with 36.5 points. This is up from 27.5 points last year when we finished in 8th place.

Last year SDSU finished 12 points from 1st place in the overall standings and this year SDSU finished 4.5 points from 1st place. We are making progress.

Let's get 'em next year.

Go State!!!
                Go Jacks!!!
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Well the Summit League made it official. Oral Roberts won the overall standings and the Men's standings with SDSU taking the women's title.

You can read the official press release here.

The standings are the same as I have posted in the first post of this thread.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Second place over all is an excellent finish for SDSU. I say congratulations to all our hard working coaches and athletes.

Comment

congrats on the womens cup, see ya in the fight for next years mens cup!

Comment

Top six accomplishments of Jackrabbit athletics this year:
                        1. Women's basketball run in NCAAs.
                        2. Football wining second consecutive Dakota Marker
                        3. Overall Summit sports awards, including Sportsmanship.
                        4. Baseball recovering for a great second half and playing for Summit championsip
                        5. Women's soccer winning Summit and beating Colorado in NCAA tournament
                        6. Outstanding basketball recruiting classes

I am sure I am missing something, and the ranking irder might be challenged, but this is a good start.

Comment

Mods,

Is there a chance you can lock this thread? I started it by keeping people informed about the standings of the Commissioner's Cup. I would appreciate deleting some of these posts also that are off topic.

Thanks
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Thread cleaned up per thread starter's request.

I'll leave it open for the moment, if others wish to post on the topic.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

From work, I can't access the Summit site.

From memory, ORU, IPFW, Oakland, and IUPUI sponsor teams in all the sports. Virtually any of the schools that sponsor football, don't sponsor all the men's sports (notably men's soccer).

For a school to come within 2 points of the overall title, without sponsoring all the sports, vs a school that does sponsor all the sports is incredible.

NDSU will never challenge to win this title because they leave at least 3 sports off the table (a potential of 30 + points). SDSU is only missing the men's soccer (IIRC).

SDSU has shown a willingness and has made great efforts to field many teams in many sports. As we watch sports get axed at other schools, we have to be thankful, and donate to keep our efforts sustained in this tough environment.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                                From work, I can't access the Summit site.

From memory, ORU, IPFW, Oakland, and IUPUI sponsor teams in all the sports. Virtually any of the schools that sponsor football, don't sponsor all the men's sports (notably men's soccer).

For a school to come within 2 points of the overall title, without sponsoring all the sports, vs a school that does sponsor all the sports is incredible.

NDSU will never challenge to win this title because they leave at least 3 sports off the table (a potential of 30 + points). SDSU is only missing the men's soccer (IIRC).

SDSU has shown a willingness and has made great efforts to field many teams in many sports. As we watch sports get axed at other schools, we have to be thankful, and donate to keep our efforts sustained in this tough environment.
                                The only sport SDSU doesn't sponsor is Mens soccer. ORU got 3 points in that sport, just enough to win the title.

NDSU doesn't have men's or women's swimming/diving(5 points for men's and 5 points for women's), women's tennis(9 points), men's tennis(7 points) and men's soccer(7 points). That mean they leave 33 points out there. I got that from the 1st post in this thread so you can check it there instead of the Summit League site.

Comment

Working...
                                X