• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks#1Fan
    replied
    Re: Centenary

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Chicago St would be the slam dunk favorite, as they were member til this year. Could quickly add them back in.
    I would second that...but in all this talk about Centenary, I haven't heard any mention of the buyout guarantee (to leave the league) that supposedly all the teams in the league agreed to (for a period of time that I thought was five years)? Then again, I guess if a team dropped out of Division I, maybe there is a clause that covers this situation, as I think the main reason was to provide stability to the Summit League so teams weren't leaving to join other conferences. Anybody know any more on that?

Leave a comment:

• rabidrabbit
    replied

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Losing Centenary would put the Summit right on the edge of losing the MBB autobid. Just remember the numbers 7/6/5; 7 core institutions, of which 6 have played together for the previous 5 years. With CC, we're currently at 8/7 and will hit 8/8 in 2012-13 when IPFW has been in the conference for 5 years. Assuming no changes, we'll hit 10/10 in 2016-17 when the xDSU's reach core institution status.

Because of the core inst. issue, I see Chicago State and UTPA as front runners for the hole Cent would leave. Along with Savannah State(way too far outside the Summit's footprint), they are the only core institutions that are independent. Also, seriously look at Utah Valley State as a way to solidify SUU in the Summit. The only way I see the UxD's added to the conference is if we lose two schools and expand to 12, or stay with the current lineup and expand to 14. I don't see either happening; the southern and eastern members don't want two trips to the Dakotas each year - too expensive. Also, it would mean splitting the small share of the MBB tourney pie that much more.
    Chicago St would be the slam dunk favorite, as they were member til this year. Could quickly add them back in.

Leave a comment:

• Hammersmith
    replied

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    If this happens how will this affect our conferences automatic bid? I believe there are a minimum number of teams needed.

If this happens it seems the Summit would take a long hard look at USD and UND, which I really don't want them in our conference....the reason? They are copying our every move....trying to get into the same conferences. Would like to seem them do something on their own without help from SDSU and NDSU. They weren't willing to help 5 years ago, but they are sure willing to copy our every move when we were successful.
    Losing Centenary would put the Summit right on the edge of losing the MBB autobid. Just remember the numbers 7/6/5; 7 core institutions, of which 6 have played together for the previous 5 years. With CC, we're currently at 8/7 and will hit 8/8 in 2012-13 when IPFW has been in the conference for 5 years. Assuming no changes, we'll hit 10/10 in 2016-17 when the xDSU's reach core institution status.

Because of the core inst. issue, I see Chicago State and UTPA as front runners for the hole Cent would leave. Along with Savannah State(way too far outside the Summit's footprint), they are the only core institutions that are independent. Also, seriously look at Utah Valley State as a way to solidify SUU in the Summit. The only way I see the UxD's added to the conference is if we lose two schools and expand to 12, or stay with the current lineup and expand to 14. I don't see either happening; the southern and eastern members don't want two trips to the Dakotas each year - too expensive. Also, it would mean splitting the small share of the MBB tourney pie that much more.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

If this happens how will this affect our conferences automatic bid? I believe there are a minimum number of teams needed.

If this happens it seems the Summit would take a long hard look at USD and UND, which I really don't want them in our conference....the reason? They are copying our every move....trying to get into the same conferences. Would like to seem them do something on their own without help from SDSU and NDSU. They weren't willing to help 5 years ago, but they are sure willing to copy our every move when we were successful.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

Wow. I don't know how giving a coach only three years and then dumping him does a shaky program like Centenary much good. They lack a lot of resources, but patience doesn't cost anything. It looked to me like they had some decent players. You just have to wonder who's going to want to take on that job.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Centenary

Centenary

Centenary Director of Athletics Dr. Tom Tallach today announced that Rob Flaska’s contract would not be renewed as head men’s basketball coach. A search for Flaska’s successor will begin immediately.

“Over his three years, Rob was able to make some progress under some difficult circumstances. For that we are very appreciative,” said Tallach. “At this time, we are looking for something different in terms of leadership, and that is the rationale for this very difficult decision.”

Flaska recently completed his third year at the helm of the Centenary men’s basketball program. He came to lead the Gents after five years of successful assistant coaching stops at both Arkansas and Texas Christian University. His two recruiting classes at Arkansas were ranked in the top five by many major basketball publications.
    http://www.gocentenary.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1412218&DB_OEM_ID=17900

Rumor from down south (ORU) is along the lines of Centenary very close to moving down to D-2. We'll see what happens. Two head coach openings in the Summit League as of right now.
Working...
X