Summit League basketball tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League basketball tournaments

I'm watching the Summit league Men's game on ESPN right now the area doesn't look to full.

Comment

Watched the mens game, IUPUI had a shot at winning the game, even had the lead inside of 3 minutes, but couldn't hold on. That Jarvis guy on ORU singlehandedly kept IUPUI in the game with his erratic 30ft 3 pt attempts.

George Hill took probably the biggest hit I've seen all season when he spun around and right into a big dude (Lewis?) I can't remember...ended up in the mid 20's point wise.

Overall good game, ORU didn't look overly impressive, except for Ehambe (sp), who shot the lights out.

ORU 71
      IUPUI 64
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        Watched the mens game, IUPUI had a shot at winning the game, even had the lead inside of 3 minutes, but couldn't hold on. That Jarvis guy on ORU singlehandedly kept IUPUI in the game with his erratic 30ft 3 pt attempts.

George Hill took probably the biggest hit I've seen all season when he spun around and right into a big dude (Lewis?) I can't remember...ended up in the mid 20's point wise.

Overall good game, ORU didn't look overly impressive, except for Ehambe (sp), who shot the lights out.

ORU 71
        IUPUI 64
        After watching Marcus Lewis in Brookings I took a liking to him. (the big dude)

He has played football in high school so said the ESPN guys and I not surprised he took that Hill charge. It was a real collision as both were on the floor for a few minutes recovering. This was indeed a real physical game. Both these teams were playing in the finals because they are the most experienced, talented and the best the conference has to offer. To me both are the benchmarks for SDSU to establish in the near future. I think our guys had all they could do to prevent a blowouts against IUPUI and ORU both, in fact the away games were blowouts.

We never got to see ORU's Jarvis in Brookings, but saw him last night. I now understand Coach Nagy's pregame comments about ORU and his saying that Jarivis added a great deal to the ORU offense and without him we stood a chance of upseting ORU.

Comment

I had the game DVR'ed and watched it late last night.

HIT

OF

THE

YEAR!!!!!

It was spectacular, in an NFL Primetime Jacked Up! kind of way.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

All of these comments are why having a conference is so great! People will be following these schools through the regular season and playoffs more and more once they get used to these teams coming into State over the next few years. Someone commented yesterday about the Oral Roberts vs. IUPUI game and that just wouldn't happen (of course) without the conference. This is going to go a long ways towards recruiting and (hopefully) attendence.

GO JACKS!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              I think the past couple of years SDSU's women have earned enough respect within the women's basketball community that they probably would have avoided a #16 seed. My guess would be probably a #15, since we didn't really have any marquee wins this year. We would definitely be one of those teams "that nobody wants to play."

It is true that the entire level of play in the Summit needs to improve in order to make it easier for the champion to get a seed much above a 14.
              Your womens team would have been a 13 seed like the ORU men, your RPI and theirs are pretty much equal.

Comment

Here is an article from Terry about the tournament being in Sioux Falls next year and the impact it will have the Jackrabbits:

SDSU hoping for perks of home
                Host teams fare well at Summit tourney
                Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • March 12, 2008

TULSA, Okla. - With the Summit League basketball tournament moving from Tulsa to Sioux Falls in 2009 and 2010, South Dakota State will assume the role of defacto home team.

The advantages of being able to qualify for the NCAA Division I championships without having to leave the state are obvious: Less travel and more fan support. But they aren't necessarily decisive.

The in-state team has won the men's conference tournament 11 of 24 times, reaching the final on 16 occasions. On the women's side, the in-state squad has claimed just 4 of 16 titles with nine championship game appearances.

No host in either division has finished first with anything lower than a No. 4 seed.

"We think that it's going to help, but honestly we have to put a good team on the floor," said SDSU men's coach Scott Nagy, whose club finished last in the 10-team league this season. "We can't just expect to be an average basketball team and think that playing in our area is just going to carry us. That's ridiculous."

(read more)

Comment

Having watched many of the postseason tournaments I think the Summit championship game displayed more talent than the Horizon and many others I watched.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    Having watched many of the postseason tournaments I think the Summit championship game displayed more talent than the Horizon and many others I watched.
                    I agree, some very good both players for both ORU and IUPUI.

ORU has a few bigs in Lewis and King that could match up with other teams, have a few others in Jarvis and Ehambe who can fill it up from outside, and have the defensive stopper in Ogunoye to match up with the other teams scorer. Depending on where they end up being seeded, I think they have the possibility of making a little noise in the tourney. Nothing against IUPUI, but I think ORU brings the best chance at a win in the tourney.

Comment

Just a thought for next year when Sioux Falls Arena is the venue. I'm watching the the State A Boys Basketball Tournament right now and the arena doesn't look bad on tv, till they include the scoreboard and message board in some shots. The animations on there are terrible, since I never see them playing anything that pertains to the game and it's just old (seriously, how many times do you need to be reminded not to smoke?!).

Would it be possible to hang Daktronics boards in front of their boards?
                      I'm not suggesting doing anything with center scoreboard, since I just don't think that is feasible. With the two message centers on each end of the arena I think you would be able to hang the boards from the rafters close above.

This is just a thought, maybe someone can mention it some Dak people, though you may get laughed at.
                      I do think we should at least bring in our scorers table message board, or something similar.

And one other thought, is it possible to move the end court bleachers closer to the court? It seems like they are about 10 yards back right now. I remember going there for state and cheering on those bleachers and it makes you feel removed from the game.

Comment

Originally posted by jackbusiness09 View Post
                        Just a thought for next year when Sioux Falls Arena is the venue. I'm watching the the State A Boys Basketball Tournament right now and the arena doesn't look bad on tv, till they include the scoreboard and message board in some shots. The animations on there are terrible, since I never see them playing anything that pertains to the game and it's just old (seriously, how many times do you need to be reminded not to smoke?!).

I'm not suggesting doing anything with center scoreboard, since I just don't think that is feasible. With the two message centers on each end of the arena I think you would be able to hang the boards from the rafters close above.

This is just a thought, maybe someone can mention it some Dak people, though you may get laughed at.
                        I do think we should at least bring in our scorers table message board, or something similar.

And one other thought, is it possible to move the end court bleachers closer to the court? It seems like they are about 10 yards back right now. I remember going there for state and cheering on those bleachers and it makes you feel removed from the game.

I believe there are some improvements (locker rooms, scoreboard upgrades, etc.) being planned for the Arena as part of the bid package put in by the Sports Authority to host the tournament. I don't know if they include video boards, scorers table upgrades, or anything like that, just remember there would be improvements made.

Comment

Originally posted by jackbusiness09 View Post

If you got the money Jackbusiness09 guy, Dak probably has the time. Seriously, putting all the Dak stuff in Frost was a project costing millions and likewise it would be for the SF Arena, and the change would be permanent. Its not like a pup tent that can be taken down and packed away after a good nights sleep. Yes I think your idea would have difficulties in being considered because of the cost. Plus there is the athletic developement group in SF who want to take down Howard Field and the Arena both, and replace them with a new larger arena. That it in itself is a big political football that has to be resolve at the ballot box. So spending millions on a scoreboard at this time would take a generous gift from some one. The SDSU Foundation would probably prefer a gift to complete the 20 million dollar fund drive to finance D1 scholarships rather than a score board in the SF Arena.

My recollection is the same as Jack02. There are small improvements planned as part of the bid package but nothing big such as LED products from Daktronics.

No I think Summit League fans will be stuck with 1960's type scoreboard and granted it may not look good on ESPN.

Comment

Working...
                          X