Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ORU Scandal

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    The wiseguy in me wants to make all kinds of smarta** remarks about Richard Roberts but I decided to just let the story speak for itself.

If there's substance to the allegations, he should be jailed.
    JD:
    Does the lawyer in you make you wonder where the US Attorney's office is in this matter? I am betting they are paying attention to the allegations and when the internal investigation is done, they become more involved. It would seem to me many part of the IRS 503c code have been violated, and with Sen. Grassely going after the other TV evangelists, I dont see the US Senate letting this go by without notice either. Add to that the three law suits brought by internal personnel. I think Former president Richard Roberts sees what is ahead, and probably did not need God's help to get the picture. Once he lost control of the Regents, the trouble just started to surface and these allegations are much to big to be covered with a Persian Rug as probably was done in the past.

Comment

Nidaros: "Does the lawyer in you make you wonder where the US Attorney's office is in this matter? I am betting they are paying attention to the allegations and when the internal investigation is done, they become more involved."

That is a pretty good bet right now. It is possible no criminal action has taken place but just huge ethical problems and potential civil problems (for example, if they were misappropriating the university's funds, the university could have a cause to pursue recovery of the misappropriated funds). When I commented that he ought to be jailed, I guess I was just spouting off about that kind of behavior -- the same behavior exhibited by the televangelists the Senate is now investigating. There are people who are duped into giving money to those jokers instead of their local church where it would actually do some good. Unfortunately, the wall between government and religion, can act as a shield for bad people. Attacking them by shedding some of the light from the Internal Revenue Code made be the most realistic way to address the situation. I don't know if the abusers can be stopped or just taught new ways to continue their unethical behavior.

Comment

A story from Terry about the scandal down at ORU.

Oral Roberts scandal concerns commissioner
        College traditionally has been Summit's top athletic team

Comment Print Email PUBLISHED: December 11, 2007
        Editor's Note: This is the latest in a series of stories examining South Dakota State's opponents and the issues they face in Division I.

By Terry Vandrovec

tvandrovec@argusleader.com

TULSA, Okla. - Oral Roberts University is getting the tabloid treatment. The Tulsa World has dedicated a section of its Web site to the school's developing financial drama.

While having so many sordid details in one cyber-spot might not be good for the private school's public perception, it makes following along easier for Summit League commissioner Tom Douple.

"We have been tracking it daily," he said, "and hopefully they'll get things resolved. Athletically, it hasn't had an impact on their teams, and they continue to move forward with their programs. But anytime you have publicity like they've had, it's concerning."

The situation, in short: Four former professors have filed suit claiming they lost their jobs for turning over to administrators a report that alleged ORU president Richard Roberts and his family spent significant chunks of school money on personal uses.

The 44-year-old university is reportedly $52 million in debt and Roberts, son of evangelist founder Oral Roberts, recently resigned (because God told him to, he said to students during a chapel service). Hobby Lobby founder Matt Green has pledged $70 million toward the cause, provided the situation can be rectified.

(read more)

Comment

I see Terry found that Matt Green is the owner of Hobby Lobby. This I did not know.

Concerns of the Commissioner are real no doubt, but not much he can do at this point. Its interesting that the athletic department appears to have a certain amount of independence from the Roberts family and their ministries.

Comment

Students are leaving after the scandal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080502/...oberts_scandal

Comment

More bad news from ORU. 100 employees laid off:

http://www.newsok.com/oral-roberts-u...rticle/3322780
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                More bad news from ORU. 100 employees laid off:

http://www.newsok.com/oral-roberts-u...rticle/3322780
                The God tower just ain't bringing in the money like it use too...

Comment

Working...
                X