ORU Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ORU Scandal

JimmyJack's comments point out a serious problem: the lack of independence of the board of trustees. However, their responsibility is clear and if they cannot or will not meet their responsibility, then they will be held responsible for their actions. I assume Oral Roberts students are eligible for and receive various forms of federal student aid and if that is the case, then the school is subject to regulatory scrutiny.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      The university and the family and Board of Trustees are so intertwined that I'm not sure sure they are the right group to solve the problems. The Board of Trustees are all Roberts family friends, hand picked by the family to "govern" the institution. (Even Richard Roberts' wife serves on the board.) So that's not exactly an impartial group that has any sort of independence or objectivity in all of this. It's a group of cronies who are likely to be further implicated in this mess... unless they manage to cover it up.
      I agree whole heartly and these intertwined relationships are going to make the Oral Roberts U campus look like the former South Dakota School of Bind campus in Gary South Dakota. The once nice buildings in Gary are now empty and hardly have a pane of glass in any window. I dont think this school can be saved. Jerry Fallwell is not around to bail this one out, but its possible some evengical demonination with some money could step in and buy the school and change the name, and continue on. ORU could be put in the history file along with Parsons College in Iowa. Parsons was not a religious afflilated but tried several novel ideas for higher education, but it too failed without a Roberts like scandal.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 11-11-2007, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
        Just saw this over on Yahoo. Not sure how it relates to the other two story's linked from Yahoo news prior; I tried them to see if this was the same article but those links are now broken.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/oral_robe...xthb244EUDW7oF
        What a bunch of idiots.

Comment

What interesting in the yahoo article is that there is a Kenneth Copeland connection in that he is part of the BOR, and so is Kopeland's son in law Pearsons who says we have the wrong idea. To quote BitsTD" What a bunch of idots," They truly are a bunch of coconuts. They may be dancing now but I know they are soon to be paying the piper. It could be payment of some jail time at Leavenworth. Surely there is a federal violation in their somewhere.

Comment

"When his son, Richard Roberts, took a leave of absence from his position as President of Oral Roberts University on October 17, 2007 following allegations of misappropriation of school funds, Oral announced he would return to help fulfill this administrative role along with Billy Joe Daugherty, who was named as the executive regent to assume administrative responsibilities of the Office of the President by the ORU Board of Regents." (Wikipedia: Oral Roberts)

Like the legendary Dean of Women, Vivian Volsdorf, (er I guess you're not supposed to be) Oral Roberts can return to the campus and give penetrating Biology lectures in addition to picking up administrative duties. Augie was never like this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hk_PQrBEM4A

Comment

Took him long enough to make his point. Hope the recovery for ORU goes faster than his lecture.

Comment

He was slow because his "ORU-fices" was plugged.

Comment

Looks like end of President Richard Roberts. Hope things settle down a little at ORU.

TULSA, Okla. — The embattled president of Oral Roberts University resigned from his position Friday, officials said.

Richard Roberts' resignation is effective immediately, according to a statement e-mailed from George Pearsons, chairman of the school's Board of Regents.

Roberts and the university have come under fire since a lawsuit was filed by three former professors accusing him, among other things, of misusing school funds to support a lavish lifestyle.

The evangelical school's regents will meet Monday and Tuesday to determine action in the search process for a new president, Pearsons said in the statement.

"Executive Regent Billy Joe Daugherty will continue to assume administrative responsibilities of the Office of the President, working together with Chancellor Oral Roberts, until the Regents meeting," the statement read.

Richard Roberts also expressed his feelings for the school in the letter, according to the statement.

"`I love ORU with all my heart,"' he said in the statement."` I love the students, faculty, staff and administration and I want to see God's best for all of them."'

Comment

http://www.midco.net/news/read.php?i...SNWC01L1_UNEWS

Found an article. Looks like ORU has found a way to right the ship...

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — An Oklahoma City businessman said Tuesday he planned to donate $70 million to debt-ridden Oral Roberts University, days after the school's president stepped down amid accusations that he misspent funds to support a lavish lifestyle.
                    Mart Green, founder of the Christian office and educational supply store chain Mardel, said he decided to help after watching media reports about the school, which recently revealed it was more than $50 million in debt. He never attended the university and does not know the Roberts family, he said.
                    "Let's straighten the ship," Green said at a news conference at the university. "Let's get integrity. Let's get trust built back, and the financial issues will go away."
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                      http://www.midco.net/news/read.php?i...SNWC01L1_UNEWS

Found an article. Looks like ORU has found a way to right the ship...

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — An Oklahoma City businessman said Tuesday he planned to donate $70 million to debt-ridden Oral Roberts University, days after the school's president stepped down amid accusations that he misspent funds to support a lavish lifestyle.
                      Mart Green, founder of the Christian office and educational supply store chain Mardel, said he decided to help after watching media reports about the school, which recently revealed it was more than $50 million in debt. He never attended the university and does not know the Roberts family, he said.
                      "Let's straighten the ship," Green said at a news conference at the university. "Let's get integrity. Let's get trust built back, and the financial issues will go away."

I don't find it surprising news. I know nothing of Mart Green, but I had the feeling that some would come forward and right the ship. This gift may be more about restoring confidence in evengelical dogma or beliefs than about the Roberts family and restoring their clean image. ORU no doubt has been a source of pride for many legitimate and sincere people in the evangelical community. Sometimes they seem to understand the importance of forgiveness and turning the other cheek, even if it requires handing over part of your person hard earned money as Mr. Mart Green appears to be doing. ORU would be missed by many if it were to disappear due to bad finances. Also I suppose it gives the Summit a sigh of relief as well if the finances scandal problems are resolved.
                      Now going forward, can they keep Richard out of the picture? Will there be a name change? I am interested and will follow this story since ORU is a Summit member.
                      Last edited by Nidaros; 11-28-2007, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I googled Mart Green just out of curiosity. As the other article pointed out he is involved in Christian Book stores and has done quite well, and appears to be a legitmate individual and thats probably good news.

Interesting part of the stipulations of the gift is two seats on the regent governing board.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...PuBFQD8T6K0100

Comment

Here's the latest from the Associated Press:

Roberts says God forced his resignation.

TULSA, Okla. - Richard Roberts told students at Oral Roberts University Wednesday that he did not want to resign as president of the scandal-plagued evangelical school, but he did so because God insisted.

God told him on Thanksgiving that he should resign the next day, Roberts told students in the university's chapel.
                          "Every ounce of my flesh said 'no'" to the idea, Roberts said, but he prayed over the decision with his wife and his father, Oral Roberts, and decided to step down.

Link to the entire story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071128/...oberts_scandal

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

TULSA, Okla. - Richard Roberts told students at Oral Roberts University Wednesday that he did not want to resign as president of the scandal-plagued evangelical school, but he did so because God insisted.

God told him on Thanksgiving that he should resign the next day, Roberts told students in the university's chapel.
                            "Every ounce of my flesh said 'no'" to the idea, Roberts said, but he prayed over the decision with his wife and his father, Oral Roberts, and decided to step down.

Likely story. Where can my kids get an application for this university?
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Likely story. Where can my kids get an application for this university?
                              The wiseguy in me wants to make all kinds of smarta** remarks about Richard Roberts but I decided to just let the story speak for itself.

If there's substance to the allegations, he should be jailed.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I guess God told him to use all the schools money, too! What a great outreach for the university, a mansion in Beverly Hills.

Comment

Working...
                                X