Karius to Green Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karius to Green Bay

Just saw a Twitter report that Karla Karius is moving to be the next head coach at Wisconsin Green Bay. You would think that Jewett has to be the favorite to be moved up.

USD board is saying Emilee Thiesse from Minnesota State Mankato is the favorite for the job. If that's the case, does Jewett go for the Augie job ?

Comment

I know she has ties there, but I figured she wouldn't return so soon based on how much Kevin Borseth was earning given all the success he had.

In 2017, his salary was 157k (AJ for reference $215k and UWGB men's coach $230k), and in 2022 it was $180k (AJ $245k base according to Zimmer -- USA Today data says total pay was $315k for '22, UWGB men's coach $175k). I know he was so devoted to the school that he returned back from Michigan when the HC position opened up again, so maybe he just said the salary wasn't an important issue for him.

On the men's side, UWGB announced 10 days ago they were revising the contract for HC Sundance Wicks from 235k/yr (signed 2023) to $300k for next year after turning around a 3-29 program to 18-14 this past season, and it'll increase by $25k per year after that. With this new commitment to Wicks (which "easily makes him the highest paid coach in program history") and the program, I assume Karius will earn something similar to what she was earning at USD.

Per USA Today, Karius' total pay for '23-'24 season is $255k with this interesting note

Maximum Bonus ($137k) does not include total of $56,000 in 'promotional merchandise' that Karius can receive from Adidas for conference championship, conference coach of the year award and team's performance in the NCAA tournament'
      Also this stinks because it's a blow to the strength of the Summit. USD just added two portal players in the past week. Promoting Jewett has to help with retention because who knows which coaches are going with Karius (looks like Karius played under an assistant still there, and Vogel left for the WNBA).
      Last edited by peavy; 04-22-2024, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post
        I know she has ties there, but I figured she wouldn't return so soon based on how much Kevin Borseth was earning given all the success he had.

In 2017, his salary was 157k (AJ for reference $215k and UWGB men's coach $230k), and in 2022 it was $180k (AJ $245k base according to Zimmer -- USA Today data says total pay was $315k for '22, UWGB men's coach $175k). I know he was so devoted to the school that he returned back from Michigan when the HC position opened up again, so maybe he just said the salary wasn't an important issue for him.

On the men's side, UWGB announced 10 days ago they were revising the contract for HC Sundance Wicks from 235k/yr (signed 2023) to $300k for next year after turning around a 3-29 program to 18-14 this past season, and it'll increase by $25k per year after that. With this new commitment to Wicks (which "easily makes him the highest paid coach in program history") and the program, I assume Karius will earn something similar to what she was earning at USD.

Per USA Today, Karius' total pay for '23-'24 season is $255k with this interesting note

Also this stinks because it's a blow to the strength of the Summit. USD just added two portal players in the past week. Promoting Jewett has to help with retention because who knows which coaches are going with Karius (looks like Karius played under an assistant still there, and Vogel left for the WNBA).
        You have to wonder if Megan would have stayed there if she knew the job would be opening up that soon. With what the WNBA pays their players, I can't imagine that assistant coaches earn what Green Bay is going to be paying.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

You have to wonder if Megan would have stayed there if she knew the job would be opening up that soon. With what the WNBA pays their players, I can't imagine that assistant coaches earn what Green Bay is going to be paying.
          Heard she knew she wasn't going to get the job so she moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            USD board is saying Emilee Thiesse from Minnesota State Mankato is the favorite for the job. If that's the case, does Jewett go for the Augie job ?
            Augie job filled this morning with someone else. Thiesse has done very well. Either way, USD probably will be hiring a former AJ assistant which is interesting. Continual turnover in Vermillion. Wonder how their incoming transfers feel about this.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post

Augie job filled this morning with someone else. Thiesse has done very well. Either way, USD probably will be hiring a former AJ assistant which is interesting. Continual turnover in Vermillion. Wonder how their incoming transfers feel about this.
              That would be reason for Thiesse to keep Jewett around if she gets the job.

Comment

The question I have that comes to mind is “will Larkins stay”? I would think she would have other, more attractive options.

Comment

If Thiesse comes over, she could bring some of her Mankato recruits due to arrive. Some nice players coming in there.

Comment

I buried the lede with the salary discussion. Her buyout is listed at 823k as of 4/1/24. Even if you assume her contract year (intro press conference 4/11/22) ended since then, that's still $568k. Green Bay is pumping money into the women's program with the hire.

If it's like smooth says with Megan knowing she wasn't getting the job (and her being announced as a Mercury assistant on Jan 24, so she had to have known early that Borseth was retiring at the end of the season), then the timing of the hire coincides with the contractual year being up for Karius and her being the target all along.

Comment

USD gets a gift here, she isn't that good of a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                        I don't know about that, but I'm really surprised someone paid to hire her away from there. USD has been a mess her entire stay. 20+ wins this year, but against whom? Maybe it's not her fault but I'd sure be nervous as a GB fan.

Comment

Agree!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

I don't know about that, but I'm really surprised someone paid to hire her away from there. USD has been a mess her entire stay. 20+ wins this year, but against whom? Maybe it's not her fault but I'd sure be nervous as a GB fan.
                            I didn't go read the pups board, but if I'm them, I'm ecstatic she packed up and left. Even got some buy-out money.

Comment

Always seemed to be flustered on the bench. Hard for players to keep their cool when the coach doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X