Summit League Expansion Targets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perryc View Post
    I don't believe there are any realistic candidates currently in D-I.

Washburn and Central Missouri will not be moving up in our lifetimes. No chance.

Northwest Missouri is happy in D-II. That may be subject to change with a future administration.
    ​​​​​​
    The only school ready to go is Augie. Let's rip the band-aid off and invite them already.
    We need to be setting our sights higher than augie.

Comment

Big fat no to Augie.

Comment

The day Augie is invited to the Summit is the day Sell needs to drive to Fargo, meet with Stony Brook, and find a new conference.

Comment

Adding Augie would bring nothing new to the Summit and make the conference even less appealing to outlying members and prospective members who think the league already is too Dakota-centric. Northern Colorado would be my first choice.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
            Good list. I'd prefer either one of the D1 schools mentioned or Mankato/Duluth. Both Mankato's men and women are in the NSIC championship today.
            Both teams have won the national d2 championship this week. Should be one of the top options on the list, I would think. Football would be an interesting decision for Mankato though. Would need a serious upgrade to facilities

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post

Both teams have won the national d2 championship this week. Should be one of the top options on the list, I would think. Football would be an interesting decision for Mankato though. Would need a serious upgrade to facilities
              Been saying it since I was a student. Minnesota State is my preferred choice for a Summit League addition. Great teams and fan base and a big student enrollment. A move up to D1 would bring upgrades to facilities. Look at SDSU. We didn't get a new football stadium for about 10 years after the move and are just getting the Frost update 20 years after. St Thomas is working on their new arena for basketball and hockey right now.
              Rollin' in my 5.0
              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Glen Taylor should actually sell the Wolves and use the profit to propel MSU to D1.

They would be a great addition to the Summit League and MVFC.

Their wrestling team would be top 25 within a couple of years too.

Comment

Isn’t it fairly well known that the Boars of Regents won’t allow another MN state school to move up? I’ve heard that from several media sources the last couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                    Isn’t it fairly well known that the Boars of Regents won’t allow another MN state school to move up? I’ve heard that from several media sources the last couple years.
                    The Board of Regents doesn't want any other D1 schools. But they only directly control the University of MN and its branches, which would include UMD. All other state universities and colleges fall under a sister organization called MNSCU. So the Board of Regents doesn't have direct control, but definitely has their finger in the process.

Comment

I have a handful of neices and nephews that graduated from MNSU. Their general attitude is for MNSU to stay in D2. Even after the success shown by the XDSUs they think SDSU, NDSU, UND, USD made the wrong, move pointing out the lack of success by USD. Of course, in the conversation, I also hear a bit of soreness that the Dakota schools left MNSU.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                      X