Summit League Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League Network

League announced a new network and partnerships today. Basically, getting rid of ESPN+ and bringing in Midco+ and CBS Sports. I have mixed feelings on it. Football season still will require ESPN+ for most of our games. No more SLT final on ESPN either which certainly has to be far larger than the exposure CBS Sports will bring. I do think getting more regular season games on TV is a good move.

https://thesummitleague.org/sports/2...725234011.aspx

Hate it. Another streaming service I have to pay for.

Comment

Am I missing something here, but do the host school online games disappear? The biggest thing that may be happening is that there will be a paywall for all of those games if they are available. Also, the replays of those games would not be available from the same school sites.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
        League announced a new network and partnerships today. Basically, getting rid of ESPN+ and bringing in Midco+ and CBS Sports. I have mixed feelings on it. Football season still will require ESPN+ for most of our games. No more SLT final on ESPN either which certainly has to be far larger than the exposure CBS Sports will bring. I do think getting more regular season games on TV is a good move.

https://thesummitleague.org/sports/2...725234011.aspx
        I think CBS offered a TV payout and ESPN doesn't to non P-5 (4?) Conferences. Not fact, just speculation on my part. I think a TV deal (they call it "enhanced media rights agreement") was mentioned for the Conference in the write up. I might be off base about this, but it sounds like a TV deal to me, especially when CBS Sports is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          Am I missing something here, but do the host school online games disappear? The biggest thing that may be happening is that there will be a paywall for all of those games if they are available. Also, the replays of those games would not be available from the same school sites.
          Yes, school streaming all goes to Midco. Jackrabbit All-Access goes away.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Yes, school streaming all goes to Midco. Jackrabbit All-Access goes away.
            ORU, KC, USD, St Thomas, UND, & Omaha had the home games as school generated online without a fee. Most of those were available to be watched after the gameday. Will the media people provide all games and/or replays?
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

ORU, KC, USD, St Thomas, UND, & Omaha had the home games as school generated online without a fee. Most of those were available to be watched after the gameday. Will the media people provide all games and/or replays?
              The way I understand it, all SL schools are to produce video for home games (either by the institutions themselves or by media partners such as Midco and/or local TV stations) and that video will be distributed by Midco. I think I saw somewhere that replays would be available but don't quote me on that one.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I would be very interested to know how much $$$ each school is receiving from this media deal.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  I would be very interested to know how much $$$ each school is receiving from this media deal.
                  I honestly can’t imagine it’s anything significant. At least for SDSU, I think we might be hurt more by giving up Jackrabbit All-Access and splitting the pot now from something like this with smaller schools with less active fan bases. Unfortunately, the major tv deals are only going to widen the gap between us and the P5 schools who are raking in millions off of these things. I do think it’s the main driver in the conference shuffling right now which is going to do more harm than good to college sports. I’ll get of my soapbox now.

Comment

Seeing the away games live will be nice, since each conference member must video each game, and replays if you miss them live, I assume.

Comment

1 very interesting note is that St. Thomas football is also moving to Midco Sports Plus.

Comment

I cant say im happy about it. I get epsn+ streaming since it has a fair amount of jacks games available. Dont really want to pay for another streaming service.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I have Midco, when they increased their fee, I got rid of the Extra Sports and Variety Package to keep the price the same to me, now I have to get it added back on if I want to watch CBS Sports because i have them for TV too. They get you one way or another it seems.

Comment

The Superbox might be another option. I checked their channel list and saw they have 2 CBS Sports channels. Not sure if the Jacks would be on one of them for sure. I did see that they have 71 NCAAF and 15 NCAAB channels available. I don't know anything about what is on those. It's expensive initially, but has tons of channels including all MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, etc. My nephew watches the pay per view fights. I haven't done that yet.
                            https://superboxtv.shop/pages/superbox-channels-list
                            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                              The Superbox might be another option. I checked their channel list and saw they have 2 CBS Sports channels. Not sure if the Jacks would be on one of them for sure. I did see that they have 71 NCAAF and 15 NCAAB channels available. I don't know anything about what is on those. It's expensive initially, but has tons of channels including all MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, etc. My nephew watches the pay per view fights. I haven't done that yet.
                              https://superboxtv.shop/pages/superbox-channels-list
                              The Superbox technology appears to be of a class of tech known as Kodi Boxes.

I will note that Midco Sports Plus is not on the list Superbox offers as available programming through its box.

IMHO incoming: 1) I'm EXTREMELY skeptical that this Superbox has paid the rights fees to offer all of this programming. Actually, I'm pretty damn confident that Superbox has not paid anybody to offer the programming it professes to offer through its hardware. 2) I am automatically suspicious of companies that aren't upfront about who they are and where they are. It is difficult on their web site to find out exactly who they are...if you dig a bit, you discover that they're a company out of Hong Kong. (An aside: the author(s) of their website don't seem to have a native's grasp of the English language.)

Point 2 feeds back into my first statement: the Chinese in general aren't real good at respecting copyright and that sort of thing. I've walked through Hong Kong shopping streets and seen all kinds of very probably pirated CD's of movies and music. It's an experience, let me tell you.

All in all, it sets my admittedly sensitive 'this-thang-just-ain't-right' detectors off bigtime. Now, everything I see indicates that the hardware itself is fine and dandy, legal-wise. However, using it to watch a subscription-based service is very likely illegal, for what that is worth.

I won't go so far as to say 'absolutely don't buy this thing' but I would say it's in the category of Buyer Beware.

https://www.wired.com/story/kodi-box-piracy/

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kodi-boxes-legal-own-one/

https://cynmackley.com/2023/03/12/is...od-to-be-true/

https://www.streamtvinsider.com/vide...-linked-piracy

https://troypoint.com/superbox-review/
                              "When SuperBOX has approached me to promote their Android TV Boxes, I’ve often replied asking if their IPTV service is legal. I’ve never got an answer."

https://www.remodelormove.com/are-tv...pand_article=1
                              " If the user is using services from a legitimate IPTV provider and adhering to all of the provider’s terms and conditions, then the use of IPTV is legaL. However, if the user is using IPTV to access illegal streams, then the use of IPTV becomes illegal."

Finally, there seem to be a lot of Kodi Boxes that are a LOT cheaper than the Superbox, if you must go down that route.

Just...y'all be educated consumers, okay?

IMHO ends...
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X