No announcement yet.

Portal-The Summit League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way it is structured, I don't see it as any type of positive either.

There's no question the portal/NIL will not make more fans. We're still in the infancy of this. How many will hang in there, buying tickets, paying streaming fees, and watching the NCAA tournament after seeing their best players bail out every year for a decade? I personally can't imagine being very engaged for long.

How long will fans keep throwing money into collectives? That's new too. It's one thing to donate towards a program or a campus building. What about giving money to a kid and he ends up leaving for someone who will give him more next year anyway? Is this sustainable?

Comment

All right, I might as well try to change it up and bring in some positivity. Nothing to lose..

Transfer players have helped us out a lot too.

Easly, Barnhardt, Mors, and Appel (Jr College) made up half of our rotation this year.

Doug Wilson didn't come to us out of high school. Cody Larson was a super exciting transfer and a real impact player. Michael Orris became an SDSU legend in one transfer season! George Marshall was awesome. David Wingett and AJ Hess are a couple that saw time on the court in the recent decade too. Brandon Key's tenure didn't end great but he was a lot of fun that first year.

Granted, this all was different then.... No NIL, and rules that kept it from being a free-for-all.

We have (at the moment) a super likeable coach, upgraded facilities, good brand recognition, and that blue-filled tournament that gives SDSU players a great chance to make the Dance. There are quality players who will want to come here. Go find a couple of the right ones and let's see what happens next year. Everyone decent at our level is dealing with high turnover.

Comment

I see Iowa State is listed - they already got a commit yesterday from a 6'10 post from the portal.Have to wonder what a kid like JT Rock is thinking after passing up his senior year to get ready to play, and seeing the Cyclones going after all kinds of post players.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

I see Iowa State is listed - they already got a commit yesterday from a 6'10 post from the portal.Have to wonder what a kid like JT Rock is thinking after passing up his senior year to get ready to play, and seeing the Cyclones going after all kinds of post players.
          JT Rock will be a Jackrabbit at some point...
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Former Bison, Grant Nelson absolutely took over the game for Alabama in the closing minutes. Knocked off #1 UNC to advance to the elite eight. He scored 12 of the teams final 14 points, and was a monster on defense during several key plays. Happy for these Summit guys to find some success, but obviously concerned for the ideas it will continue to give the rest of the conferences top talent year in and year out. Scheierman playing late tomorrow night to try to punch his ticket too.

I haven't followed him closely, but it seems like Grant had pretty modest stats throughout the season (a few breakout games here and there), and very quiet first 2 1/2 games of the tourney... but sure as heck had a breakout half to finish the game. Good for him...

Potentially interesting observation....19 of the 35 guys that played in the two late games tonight were transfers from other programs, including 12 of the 20 starters. There was plenty of youth around in the non-transfer players, as only 4 of the 16 guys had been with their team more than 2 years. Not sure what to think of it, besides more evidence of the sad state of college athletics... but I guess it is what it is at this point.

Comment

Unfortunate for NDSU WBB, Elle Evans is in the portal.

Comment

Elle Evans is in the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                  Unfortunate for NDSU WBB, Elle Evans is in the portal.
                  Unfortunate for the Summit League as a whole too. NDSU women's basketball has made such positive strides, which was great for the league. I sure hope they can hold the team and the remarkable improvements together in the absence of Elle.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Morgan confirmed to be in the portal. Going to be rebuilding time at both ND schools.
                    Morgan commits to Nebraska. Thought he would go with the home state Gophers.

Comment

• Kendall Holmes in the portal.

Comment

• Skunberg to Illinois State and Sam Hastreiter to Minnesota State - Moorhead

Found this on reddit regarding the MVC. Looking similar to RahRahRabbits' list for the Summit. For reference, 3 coaches were fired and 2 moved on to better positions (which perhaps explains some of the yellow).
                        Yellow is in portal and gray is no eligibility left

Comment

• Here is an excerpt from one of the "haves" view on portal.
                          www.instagram.com/reel/C2LoEmAR2Vk/?igsh=MWM3MHMzNzVzMHZ4Ng==
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

• Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            Here is an excerpt from one of the "haves" view on portal.
                            www.instagram.com/reel/C2LoEmAR2Vk/?igsh=MWM3MHMzNzVzMHZ4Ng==
                            He's not wrong.

I've come to really like Geno.

Comment

• Easy for him to say he's been at Uconn for 100 years. What about all the coaches that bolt more often, it's pretty much the same thing.

It would really suck if they allowed players to transfer mid-year and play for multiple teams in the same season.

Comment

• From Evan Miyakawa top image is April 12 24 data, bottom is April 13 23 data

April 13 23 data

Comment

Working...
                                X