No announcement yet.

2023 SLT Men's Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ORU gets a 12 and draws Duke. May be the first time in my life that I root for the Dukies.

Comment

Oru got hosed. Personally I think Duke is the wrong seed. Oru will matchup better with Duke than people are giving them credit for. Not sure where all this hate for Oru is coming from but I'm guessing because they are way good and win too much.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

yes i guess i agree with you that they do seem to have a huge advantage in use of the transfer option. they have had very impactful transfers for MBB and the WBB have several quality transfers also. I know that coach Nagy was never a fan of transfers and much preferred 4 year players. AJ has shown much the same preference. Hendo has had obvious success with juco transfers and Charley, but i dont have a good reason why we seem to not get too many impactful transfers. you would think players who prioritize winning would have us very high on their list

regarding Augie, you are saying there would be no issue with 3 D1 schools in SD? i am not saying it would have a significant negative impact on our recruiting but as far as recruiting in SD, there are limited D1 kids here and losing any good ones does not help in any way. or you were saying you like their fans better than oru?

i know travel to WIU is a pain. why else would you want to lose them? i know travel cost is a thing, but we have always recruited Illinois in both FB and basketball, at the very least, when we play at WIU their families can watch them play without traveling quite as far. i actually like WIU and would like to see their programs get stronger
        Guess I'm looking at it more from the conference stability/sustainability angle. As you mentioned, it would reduce travel to an outlying school, and there'd still be SIU, and both ISUs. I could be mistaken, but WIU is consistently mentioned as a candidate for relegation (with some even mentioning it dropping to DIII).

To clarify, I don't "dislike" WIU like I do ORU. It's due to the aforementioned fiscal questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
          Oru got hosed. Personally I think Duke is the wrong seed. Oru will matchup better with Duke than people are giving them credit for. Not sure where all this hate for Oru is coming from but I'm guessing because they are way good and win too much.
          If it nets the league some coin, bully for the Summit. Otherwise, ORU can hold their wings over their rears and whistle Dixie

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Guess I'm looking at it more from the conference stability/sustainability angle. As you mentioned, it would reduce travel to an outlying school, and there'd still be SIU, and both ISUs. I could be mistaken, but WIU is consistently mentioned as a candidate for relegation (with some even mentioning it dropping to DIII).

To clarify, I don't "dislike" WIU like I do ORU. It's due to the aforementioned fiscal questions.
            we play those schools for FB but not hoops. i guess we have no current jacks BB players from the chicago area but the men have had a lot of players from there over the years.

i pretty much agree with all your reasons for annoyance with ORU, but i dont think augie is a quality replacement for them. augie may have lost their biggest source of funding and without that i am not sure they are the model of stability either. they just wanna make a grab for the SLT attention and money. but if we lose ORU, UST, and WIU and gain augie i gotta say that is a huge net loss for the league. i am sick of Mills whining but i think they are a better fit for the summit than denver is actually. if you look at I29 and I35 as kind of the spine of the conference, Tulsa fits fairly comfortably in that group. (that is NOT me saying denver does not fit or that everyone needs to be close to 29 or 35!!! just saying that tulsa / oru fits- minus the whining)

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
              cannot speak for everyone, but i am sick of them strictly because of Mills. will not cheer for him
              obviously WE KNOW from experience a lot of the tournament is the draw and the draw is a fair amount of luck

ORU was blessed with a perfect draw the last time around. they had a team with one real rebounder on the roster and they were able to play 3 ncaa games without EVER facing a team that was dominant in the post

so if they happen to get a duke team that many think is underseeded that is just the breaks. being rated 21 in reality duke is slightly over seeded. they should be a 6. and Mills has been telling everyone that listens that they are a top 30 team so maybe duke fans are the ones who should be upset??

Comment

cannot speak for everyone, but i am sick of them strictly because of Mills. will not cheer for him
                obviously WE KNOW from experience a lot of the tournament is the draw and the draw is a fair amount of luck

ORU was blessed with a perfect draw the last time around. they had a team with one real rebounder on the roster and they were able to play 3 ncaa games without EVER facing a team that was dominant in the post

so if they happen to get a duke team that many think is underseeded that is just the breaks. being rated 21 in reality duke is slightly over seeded. they should be a 6. and Mills has been telling everyone that listens that they are a top 30 team so maybe duke fans are the ones who should be upset??
                The ESPN basketball analysts have been Duke apologists forever, but all 4 or 5 of them picked Duke to get to at least the Elite 8.

Comment

we play those schools for FB but not hoops. i guess we have no current jacks BB players from the chicago area but the men have had a lot of players from there over the years.

i pretty much agree with all your reasons for annoyance with ORU, but i dont think augie is a quality replacement for them. augie may have lost their biggest source of funding and without that i am not sure they are the model of stability either. they just wanna make a grab for the SLT attention and money. but if we lose ORU, UST, and WIU and gain augie i gotta say that is a huge net loss for the league. i am sick of Mills whining but i think they are a better fit for the summit than denver is actually. if you look at I29 and I35 as kind of the spine of the conference, Tulsa fits fairly in that group. (that is NOT me saying denver does not fit or that everyone needs to be close to 29 or 35!!! just saying that tulsa / oru fits- minus the whining)
                  You don't think Augie fans would attend Summit Tourney, thereby helping the league's bottom line?

You're definitely right, if the Summit lost all three within a year or two, but that's unlikely to happen. Plus, maybe Northern Colorado's baseball-only affliation is the precursor to additional ties with Summit

Don't the teams typically fly to Denver anyway?

Comment

Working...
                  X