St. Thomas Announces new Basketball/Hockey Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Thomas Announces new Basketball/Hockey Arena

St. Thomas will be in the MVC in 10 years…

https://twitter.com/uofstthomasmn/st...RpGOCIQJJey0Bg

It’s impressive but I’m not surprised. The money, resources, and population they have blows any other school in the Summit League out of the water. The Minneapolis metro has so many resources, more than most South Dakotans realize, and with the Gophers’ underwhelming teams, I think UST is ripe for success. I’m glad they’re in our league as they’re going to make us all better but I think they’re going to be moving up to a different conference before any Dakota school ever does.

Comment

Hockey arenas dont make good basketball arenas.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

4k for hockey and 5k for buckets. Practice gyms and ice as well. In other words, they are getting what the top of the Summit already has.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
          The money, resources, and population they have blows any other school in the Summit League out of the water.
          I don't know about blowing everyone out of the water. University of Denver also has a large population, resources and probably more money. I know they are both private institutions but just doing a google search, Denver has a $1.4 Billion endowment and St. Thomas is not near that number. So St. Thomas is in the Dakota recruiting area and Denver is not, so St. Thomas will probably take away some of our recruits. But overall I am still not too concerned with St. Thomas.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Patrick Reusse, sports columnist for the Minneapolis Star Tribune, reports on twitter today (I saw the re-tweet from Matt Zimmer) St. Thomas is going to the Big East starting the 2026-27 season. I read his tweet as a statement of fact, not a prediction.

Could it be that Reusse was speculating? Doesn't appear to be speculation,.

There were several comments made (may have been on this message board) at the time of the announcement that St. Thomas was moving to the Summit League but there was speculation that the Summit membership would be short term and the real goal of St. Thomas was the Big East. Looks like those comments may be accurate. The Big East members are mostly private schools including Creighton; Butler; UConn; DePaul; Georgetown; Marquette; Providence; St. John's (the Red Storm, not the Collegeville, MN St. John's); Seton Hall; Villanova and Xavier.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Patrick Reusse, sports columnist for the Minneapolis Star Tribune, reports on twitter today (I saw the re-tweet from Matt Zimmer) St. Thomas is going to the Big East starting the 2026-27 season. I read his tweet as a statement of fact, not a prediction.

There were several comments made (may have been on this message board) at the time of the announcement that St. Thomas was moving to the Summit League but there was speculation that the Summit membership would be short term and the real goal of St. Thomas was the Big East. Looks like those comments may be accurate. The Big East members are mostly private schools including Creighton; Butler; UConn; DePaul; Georgetown; Marquette; Providence; St. John's (the Red Storm, not the Collegeville, MN St. John's); Seton Hall; Villanova and Xavier.
              This surely could end up being true by 2026-27, but Reusse's tweet at this time was/is 100% speculation. There is no factual information out there that shows this is a done deal.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Reusse is loves the MIAC schools and particularly the Catholic MIAC schools (which is odd in that while he was raised Catholic, he professes to not being a practicing Catholic) and he still shows a lot of love for St. Thomas. Reusse also loves to troll the U of M and having an upper tier DI basketball program in the T.C. would really tickle his fancy if for no other reason than to be a foil for the pitiful state of Gopher basketball. Reusse's Twitter profile also cautions against taking anything he tweets at face value. I would not assume that he is speaking from any authority on this subject.

While it needn't be said, UST no doubt dreams of a Big East scenario. But the arena itself isn't really a game changer (as I noted before, UST is only getting what the top Summit teams already have) perhaps it, along with success in the Summit, will drive fan engagement. While I'm sure the Big East would love to have an in in the T.C. media market, the challenge for UST to the Big East will be growing the brand enough that the Big East thinks TV sets will be tuned to UST games in the T.C. market. If not, what interest does the Big East have in sharing TV revenue? In the meantime, there are other well established Catholic schools that fit the profile the Big East might be looking for: Dayton, St. Louis, Loyola Chicago, along with Gonzaga and other west coast Catholic institutions. Why would UST jump ahead of those schools?

Comment

Here's an example of pure speculation about UST joining the Big East -- this article from March of 2020 when UST was completing the approval process for jumping to D-1 directly from D-III, and it had been announced UST was joining the Summit League.

https://shamasportsheadliners.com/to...-looks-bright/

I'm not finding any source stating as a fact that UST will be joining the Big East, to support Reusse's tweet.

I'm going to be in the Cities Thursday (1/26) and am planning on donning some yellow and blue gear and a new Jacks ball cap, and attending the SDSU men v. St. Thomas that evening. [I likely will also go to the USD men v. St. Thomas on that Saturday (1/28). I may even wear my red USD sweatshirt to the Saturday game! Hmmm, may have to think about that last statement. Yotes aren't looking too good lately.]

Comment

Here's an example of pure speculation about UST joining the Big East -- this article from March of 2020 when UST was completing the approval process for jumping to D-1 directly from D-III, and it had been announced UST was joining the Summit League.

https://shamasportsheadliners.com/to...-looks-bright/

I'm not finding any source stating as a fact that UST will be joining the Big East, to support Reusse's tweet.

I'm going to be in the Cities Thursday (1/26) and am planning on donning some yellow and blue gear and a new Jacks ball cap, and attending the SDSU men v. St. Thomas that evening. [I likely will also go to the USD men v. St. Thomas on that Saturday (1/28). I may even wear my red USD sweatshirt to the Saturday game! Hmmm, may have to think about that last statement. Yotes aren't looking too good lately.]
                    Nothing wrong with representing. You earned that. A pair of shades might go well with that red sweatshirt.
                    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post

Nothing wrong with representing. You earned that. A pair of shades might go well with that red sweatshirt.
                      How about a HyVee paper bag?

Comment

Working...
                      X