Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Snow Belt" Conference

https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-...round-the-bsc/

This is an interesting listen starting at 55:45. Kind of in line what I have been thinking about the future, but interestingly doesn't include USD/UND in the conversation which makes me like the idea even more!

I listened for about 9-10 minutes. I hope they're not stuck on the name "snow belt" conference. Not good for recruiting in the southern tier of the country.

The two guys discussing suggested a conference consisting of present Big Sky schools Weber State, Idaha, Montana and Montana State, along with MVFC schools SDSU, NDSU and UNI. USD and UND were not mentioned. I think the two guys discussing were taking into account the size of he football venues at other schools (so there was potential for increasing the gate receipts. Stadium capacity for USD is 9100 while the football capacity for the Alerus Center is 12,283.

Interesting concept. In the past, spreading over more than one time zone was considered a strong vote against a conference including current Big Sky and MVFC teams.

Comment

This actually wasn't the suggested name of such a conference if it did happen, was more of the one commentators "joke" about the conference make up. Basically I think he was indicating a group of nothern schools have have established well attended football programs that exist in the part of the country where there is going to be little to no interest from existing conferences. The purpose of consolidation would be to create a conference with better programs to generate more interest and ultimately more revenue due to better television contracts. They also indicated that there is a huge boost in revenue generated with "money games" played if you are an FBS school versus FCS school.

Personally I would much rather watch us play the Montana's and Weber over the eastern members of the MVFC. Of course I see absolutely 0 chance than UNI would leave the MVC for this conference, so that eliminates one team from the line-up.

But also from a general sports conference for basketball, etc. this would also increase the strength of the "insert name" conference which again helps with revenue generation. Let's be real, the MVC and other established conferences are far more interested in the metro bases of Omaha, Minneapolis, Denver, and KC and would be far more likely to add those schools than us regardless of the actual quality of the product on the field. And those schools would readily jump at the opportunity to join. So we are essentially held hostage by programs who can't really hold our jocks in any of the major sports. And the opinion of the SLT for basketball while being a huge venue generator for all teams involved is not something that is likely well received by the other schools in the conference.

But the main thing I took away from this was that this guy has talked with someone high up in the Montana athletic department and it sounds like this is something that has been discussed at that level. It's just interesting and good to know that these folks are talking and making plans for the changes that will be coming down the road. There certainly is no confirmation that this is the front runner of any of those plans, but I like the idea of it.

Comment

The Snow Belt has a twitter page and everything. Check it out. It’s pretty funny/awesome.

Comment

If we are talking a weather phenomenon conference, I would rather see us link up with universities to the south, if such options exist, and form a tornado alley conference where we could mostly stay in one time zone and have easier travel and weather options for those late October and November games.
          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Call it the Snowbelt conference. We're not fooling anybody by not using the word snow. Embrace it. If the kids we are recruiting don't realize there is snow here until they see the name Snowbelt Conference, do we really want them sitting in our classrooms? Other than the time zones, I love the idea of the make up of the conference and going FBS. I'm in.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Stone Cold Conference
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Stone Cold Conference
                Commish Steve Austin

Comment

I think the teams that could theoretically move up between the Big Sky and the MVFC with somewhat little issue would be:

Montana
                  Montana State
                  North Dakota State
                  South Dakota State
                  Weber State
                  UNI
                  Idaho
                  Missouri State

The Montana and Dakota Marker schools have the attendance numbers and facilities to make a move right now. Still curious to see what the Pac12 Mountain West fallout will look like. Might get to sneak in the MW with NDSU
                  Last edited by DieselJacks; 10-21-2022, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
                    I think the teams that could theoretically move up between the Big Sky and the MVFC with somewhat little issue would be:

Montana
                    Montana State
                    North Dakota State
                    South Dakota State
                    Weber State
                    UNI
                    Idaho
                    Missouri State

The Montana and Dakota Marker schools have the attendance numbers and facilities to make a move right now. Still curious to see what the Pac12 Mountain West fallout will look like. Might get to sneak in the MW with NDSU
                    There are a few issues with this list:

UNI- I can't see them abandoning the MVC for their other sports as they still have the dream of that conference being more than a 1 bid league on the regular.

Idaho- Would they move back up a few years after moving down? Seems like this might be a tough sell.

Missouri State- they are rumored to be moving to the Sun Belt/CUSA. This is a better regional fit for them as well.

Another interesting read which builds on this (not that this article says anything anyone with half a brain doesn't already know).

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-...-of-five-bcbc/

Don't get me wrong, outside of Missouri State I love the look of that conference. Would be interesting to see if you could get Wyoming to bail on the MWC to joint up as they are a nice regional fit.

Comment

I am hoping both SDSU and Montana State win this week so Sell and the Montana State AD can get supper Friday night and discuss the Snow Belt!!!

Comment

Every other sport competes with the Power 5s, I’m all for FB moving up too. Let’s be honest a SDSU vs Holy Cross FB game just doesn’t feel like a big time post season event. Brands matter, look at wrestling…nobody cares that Cal Baptist, Air Force, wyoming, Utah valley, etc are Big 12 wrestling teams. The Big 12 brand carry’s weight. It’s time football had the right brand for the investment made in the program and facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are all of these schools going to be able to find the $ to fund 22 more scholarships ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Are all of these schools going to be able to find the $ to fund 22 more scholarships ?
                            Sustainably being the key word. Some may manage for a few seasons, but after that ...

Wyoming's been mentioned as a target for this new conference, but why not add Colorado State who may be willing to acknowledge it's unlikely to win recruiting battles with Deion Sanders.

Comment

Dieon Sanders is likely the definition of unsustainable at Colorado. If he does well, he'll be given a high profile SEC job, if not, he'll flame out and be a tv analyst. My guess is won't be in Colorado long

Comment

Working...
                              X