Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain This One to Me - Why Cancel League Games with Close Proximity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain This One to Me - Why Cancel League Games with Close Proximity?

Why is the Summit League just cancelling games? If the teams are within a bus ride from each other, why can't the teams play when the COVID team is cleared? Example: If UND was ready to play by Tuesday why can't the Rabbits jump on the bus and go play the Hawks? I understand if there's a plane flight involved, but this doesn't make any sense to me. How about meeting in Fargo? Little closer for each team. If leagues are going to be this strict making decisions to play or not to play, they need to start thinking outside the box to have a complete league schedule.

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
    Why is the Summit League just cancelling games? If the teams are within a bus ride from each other, why can't the teams play when the COVID team is cleared? Example: If UND was ready to play by Tuesday why can't the Rabbits jump on the bus and go play the Hawks? I understand if there's a plane flight involved, but this doesn't make any sense to me. How about meeting in Fargo? Little closer for each team. If leagues are going to be this strict making decisions to play or not to play, they need to start thinking outside the box to have a complete league schedule.
    Several factors in play; first, that could impact the teams' practice and travel schedule for subsequent games. In addition, there would likely be logistics regarding transporting and providing food and transporting equipment and staff on an abbreviated schedule. Officials, some of whom have other jobs, would also need to be located/transported (and compensated for unforeseen officiating)

Lastly, in terms of a neutral site, you may then add additional county/municipality Covid protocols that teams would need to abide by, potentially on short notice

Comment

I think that conferences feel the need to have a policy that consistently treats everyone the same. Letting teams make up games on their own would cause more problems than it would solve, especially with the geographic spread that there is in the Summit.

Comment

I would like to see during the first go around in conference play a rule that states if the traveling team causes the cancellation of a game, they forfeit their right to host the proposed second match-up. Play it at the opposing team's arena. Cough, cough, I'm looking at you USD.

Comment

I am finding it curious as to why the Summit League even talked about 8 eligible players and 1 coach. Does the protocol extend to contact tracing? It would seem that of the 4 or 5 teams there might be 8 available players and 1 coach to complete a game. Also, the recent CDC guidelines have reduced the timeframe from 10 days to 5 days for isolation after positive test. Regardless, the Covid infections has created a huge bump in our lives.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

It didn't take much to get UND in trouble, as they only had 8 or 9 players available at the end of the non-conference schedule. It appears USD had been playing 11, plus they have 3 freshmen who appear to be redshirting. You have to wonder if some of the issues are results of the protocols programs have set up, and how seriously they are followed. You seldom see both the mens and womens teams from the same school have issues. The current situations had to result from players who got infected over the Christmas break. Coaches can't go home with the players to make sure they follow protocols, but there could be differences in what expectations were given to players before going home.

Comment

It appears all the no contest covid games are being rescheduled. SDSU will play UND on January 31.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                It appears all the no contest covid games are being rescheduled. SDSU will play UND on January 31.
                Great job Summit League. Two thumbs up. It just didn't make sense to me to cancel these games when teams are within a bus ride of each. Well done. I'm glad the league is doing what they can to play a full schedule!

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Working...
                X