Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORU

i hope watching this run in the tourney we realize some things:

ORU is good-- to all of us who thought hendo should be on the hotseat based on any the games against this team?? i guess ohio state and florida need new coaches??

the jacks are good!!! we played this team 3 times twice without noah and once with noah far from himself. maybe all 3 games with douglas compromised and in SLT we had 7 players and one was douglas who could not practice in the week leading up to the game

results of the 3 games? we whooped them once, we tied them once ( basically ) and we got beat pretty good once ( i think the final was somewhere between 12 and 16 ) and in that game they had i am pretty sure FOUR yes FOUR different players play the best game of their career- or at least have their career best scoring effort

finally, The Summit league is a LOT better than lot of people think. ORU had less than a 70% win loss record in league play

i dont know who they will play next but unless they run into somebody that can hammer them on the interior they will continue to have chances to win

the jacks have not had that draw yet in their ncaa appearances with maybe exception of ohio state. otherwise they always play somebody who really hurts them with size. ohio state not so much and that game was tied with about a minute to go. definitely could have gone either way. so far this tourney- and really the whole post season, the eagles are giving themselves a chance in the close games, 50/50 games and the ball is bouncing the right direction for the eagles. congratulations to them

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

ORU is good-- to all of us who thought hendo should be on the hotseat based on any the games against this team?? i guess ohio state and florida need new coaches??

the jacks are good!!! we played this team 3 times twice without noah and once with noah far from himself. maybe all 3 games with douglas compromised and in SLT we had 7 players and one was douglas who could not practice in the week leading up to the game

results of the 3 games? we whooped them once, we tied them once ( basically ) and we got beat pretty good once ( i think the final was somewhere between 12 and 16 ) and in that game they had i am pretty sure FOUR yes FOUR different players play the best game of their career- or at least have their career best scoring effort

finally, The Summit league is a LOT better than lot of people think. ORU had less than a 70% win loss record in league play

i dont know who they will play next but unless they run into somebody that can hammer them on the interior they will continue to have chances to win

the jacks have not had that draw yet in their ncaa appearances with maybe exception of ohio state. otherwise they always play somebody who really hurts them with size. ohio state not so much and that game was tied with about a minute to go. definitely could have gone either way. so far this tourney- and really the whole post season, the eagles are giving themselves a chance in the close games, 50/50 games and the ball is bouncing the right direction for the eagles. congratulations to them
    ORU plays Arkansas - they played early this season and ORU led them late but the Razorbacks pulled it out. Hope they keep winning and raking in the $ for the Summit League.

Comment

$$$ are good) but also the more they win and raise their stature, the more respect the jacks get for kicking their butts next year))

Comment

The exposure this gives the Summit League is great! Every team can benefit from ORU making this run besides just the money. I think of the MVC and how much that entire conference has improved in the last decade, mostly due to Wichita State's run to the Final Four. Yes, they have a long tradition of great basketball in that conference, but I think it has really blown up due to Cinderella runs in the Men's National Tournament. I'm just happy if it's not the Jacks doing it it's ORU. I don't think I could handle it if another Dakota school was doing this before the Jacks.
        Rollin' in my 5.0
        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

I hate OSU. I hate Florida. This certainly helps my butt hurt that ORU is the Summit League representative. At this point, won’t the whole f’’in thing!

It won’t make me think about what could have been.

Go ORU! Damnit, I said it.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

The top of the Summit is always good. The problem with the Summit is the bottom of the conference. Western Illinois? Denver? The conference will never be a 2-bid league even in good years unless the bottom portion of the league can win some non-conference games and be competitive. To catch the Ohio, or Horizon, or ASun, or AEast ... we need better balance.

ORU’s success does tell me (Captain Obvious) that we need a high-end guard. We need a guy who is special. Finding that guy is like finding diamonds in your backyard but Hendo’s ability to identify, attract and develop big guys combined with a guard like this would make SDSU unstoppable.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

The top of the Summit is always good. The problem with the Summit is the bottom of the conference. Western Illinois? Denver? The conference will never be a 2-bid league even in good years unless the bottom portion of the league can win some non-conference games and be competitive. To catch the Ohio, or Horizon, or ASun, or AEast ... we need better balance.
              The Dakota Schools and Oral Roberts are consistently good programs, and I think UMKC and Omaha are on the right track. Denver is a dumpster fire, but can be a better program in the future. St. Thomas will be successful after some inevitable growing pains. Western Illinois probably needs to leave Division 1.

Comment

I moved this topic to Summit League.

For what it's worth, I'm all in on ORU MBB right now. Go Golden Eagles!

I think it needs to be emphasized that in the Sweet Sixteen is the team that finished fourth in the Summit League regular season.

Fourth.

And they ***barely*** beat SDSU and NDSU to get to the NCAA tournament.

The top of the Summit League has some really good basketball going on right now.

Carry on.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post

The Dakota Schools and Oral Roberts are consistently good programs, and I think UMKC and Omaha are on the right track. Denver is a dumpster fire, but can be a better program in the future. St. Thomas will be successful after some inevitable growing pains. Western Illinois probably needs to leave Division 1.
                  To me ORU seems like the outlier in this conference. Only private school, before St Thomas. Distance-wise they are so much further away. I could see them wanting to get into C-USA or MoValley. Would a successful tourney run prompt changes there?

Comment

To me ORU seems like the outlier in this conference. Only private school, before St Thomas. Distance-wise they are so much further away. I could see them wanting to get into C-USA or MoValley. Would a successful tourney run prompt changes there?
                    MoValley also has travel issues, and C-USA is a football conference. I could honesty see the WAC grabbing them though. That will be a strong conference after they raided the Southland of their best teams

Comment

A league with Minneapolis/St. Paul, Kansas City, Denver, Omaha and Tulsa (along with the Dakota schools) is pretty geographically aligned given the current alignments of D-I conferences. It's just under 5 hours by road from Kansas City to Tulsa--about the same as Brookings to Grand Forks, and an hour shorter than Brookings to Kansas City.

They'd be as much of an outlier in C-USA, and an outlier in the Valley too. They're going to be an outlier in whatever conference they get into (they're not going into the Big 12 which would be the only exception to that). (If you look at the Missouri Valley...Missouri State is an outlier in that conference, as far from the next closest member (Southern Illinois) as ORU is from UMKC. You could argue on the geographic basis that Missouri State would be better off in the Summit League than ORU in the Valley--with both ORU and UMKC within 3 hours' drive.

ORU can look at Valpo at how it might go jumping to a "better" conference. Or they can just think back to their detour into the Southland Conference for a few years.

The Summit League continues to get gradually better and better. Arguably in MBB it's at least even with or has even passed up the Horizon League. The MVC isn't what it once was...it's still top to bottom clearly better than the Summit League, but the gap is shrinking, I think.

ORU has been a MidCon/Summit member for a looooong time, with the exception of their short dalliance with the Southland. With the I-29 corridor, the Summit is as stable as it's probably ever been in it's entire history.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

yes filbert i could not agree more!! kinda the point i was trying to make. this team won LESS than 70% of their games in conference. they lost games to FIVE different teams in this conference. YES we have a school or 2 at the bottom who need to step up but the top of this conference can beat ANYONE and teams in the middle of the conference are capital G Good and moving in the right direction.

i can NOT believe that administrators at ORU would be stupid enough to try that again!! HOW are they an outlier? WIU could say that they are but i think they are smart enough to know that they do NOT have any other good option. Denver to a lesser degree also, but ORU is the south end of a conference that is almost in a straight north/ south line from grand forks to tulsa

Comment

I would like to point out Denver is also a private school. The Summit will soon have 3 private schools.
                          Rollin' in my 5.0
                          With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                          Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

as long as one of them is NOT augustana, i really dont care how many private schools we have)

Comment

if we were actively trying to grow, and i have no idea how much recruiting the summit tires to do?? but missouri state would seem like a very good fit. but maybe they do not offer much outside BBall, i am not really familiar with their athletic department as a whole. so maybe i should not open my big mouth about this, but they are competitive in both MBB and WBB and a decent to very good fit geographically

Comment

Working...
                              X