Leathernecks looking for new MBB coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leathernecks looking for new MBB coach

Coach Billy Wright did not have his contract renewed for next year. Who is ready for this rebuild?
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Coach Billy Wright did not have his contract renewed for next year. Who is ready for this rebuild?
    Again! I'm ready for them to be gone from the conference. They bring nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post

Again! I'm ready for them to be gone from the conference. They bring nothing!
      The Leathernecks are a nostalgic portion of the conference as they are the only remaining charter member. Also, I recall the WBB team winning SLT 3 years ago and the MBB was co champ in 2013. I can agree that the MBB brings very little to the table recently other than a dark spot on the 1 seed Jackrabbits a year ago. The higher ed state university system in Illinois has cast a shadow over the member universities as well. Still it seems a bit harsh to think there is no value in their membership in the Summit. If they can find a coach of the same ability as Gravina on the WBB side, that would be huge step forward. They have fewer resources to lure proven talent with experience. Maybe they should look at the list Sell was working from!
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

The Leathernecks are a nostalgic portion of the conference as they are the only remaining charter member. Also, I recall the WBB team winning SLT 3 years ago and the MBB was co champ in 2013. I can agree that the MBB brings very little to the table recently other than a dark spot on the 1 seed Jackrabbits a year ago. The higher ed state university system in Illinois has cast a shadow over the member universities as well. Still it seems a bit harsh to think there is no value in their membership in the Summit. If they can find a coach of the same ability as Gravina on the WBB side, that would be huge step forward. They have fewer resources to lure proven talent with experience. Maybe they should look at the list Sell was working from!
        I think when molinari was the coach they were pretty legit. Was it griff who hit the 3 late in the championship game to beat them?
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

I think when molinari was the coach they were pretty legit. Was it griff who hit the 3 late in the championship game to beat them?
          Yes, I believe this is correct and yes, they were more than legit when Molinari was their coach. Then he suddenly left to be an assistant for Tim Miles at Nebraksa. He's now an assistant on the Oklahoma staff.

Comment

Has to be one of the tougher jobs in the nation at this point because of lack of funding for the entire school. I hope they become competitive in MBB again for the sake of the conference as a whole.

Comment

Kobe Webster, guard has put his name into the transfer portal (grad transfer).

All new-comer his freshmen year.
              2nd team all conference his sophomore year.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Leading scorer and leading assists for the Leathernecks. Graduating in 3 years is also impressive.
                https://goleathernecks.com/sports/me...-webster/17353

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

The players must be pissed. Sophs Zion Young and Ben Pyle have also entered the transfer portal. Would the Jacks have any interest ? Don't know that they need any ball-dominant guards, but a 6'7" big who can shoot threes like Pyle would fit nicely. With the coaching change, they would have a good chance of being eligible right away.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

The players must be pissed. Sophs Zion Young and Ben Pyle have also entered the transfer portal. Would the Jacks have any interest ? Don't know that they need any ball-dominant guards, but a 6'7" big who can shoot threes like Pyle would fit nicely. With the coaching change, they would have a good chance of being eligible right away.
                    Plus, you’d get Pyle’s sweet Napoleon Dynamite hair!

It’s amazing WIU keeps going, they certainly have their hands full as an athletic department.

Comment

Right now, there’s one scholarship spot open. Owen King is a possible transfer away as well. The roster for next year currently looks like this:

PG
                      Arians
                      Schierman
                      Mfum
                      King?

SG
                      Friedel
                      Mims
                      Buchanan

SF
                      Wingett

PF
                      Wilson
                      Fiegen

C
                      Dentlinger
                      Dillon

Ben Pyle or another big would probably be the best options for the team.

Comment

Between Webster young and Pyle those 3 are pretty decent. I would imagine they would look for something similar but just a better program. Webster at pg wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Probably start or give great depth to move arians to the sf for match ups etc.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Sounds like current Minnesota assistant Rob Jeter is the frontrunner for the Leatherneck job. Was previously head coach at UW - Milwaukee.

Comment

Sounds like current Minnesota assistant Rob Jeter is the frontrunner for the Leatherneck job. Was previously head coach at UW - Milwaukee.
                            It appears to be official now!

Comment

That’s a good hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                              X