Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Thomas to Summit / Missouri Valley?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    If I'm Douple I tell St. Thomas that the Summit League will do everything it can to help the transition to D-I (schedule games/matches, help with the NCAA studies/paperwork, etc.) all the way through even if the NCAA doesn't come through with the waiver. St. Thomas would be a hit on the number of non-D-I matches/games each sports team could schedule, but I'd be prepared to be all-in for St. Thomas if I were the Summit League.

    It's a unique situation (literally--what's happened to St. Thomas has never happened before as far as I know) and it needs creative thinking by all concerned.
    "I think we'll be OK"

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

      It will be interesting to see where this goes. Douple has been very non-committal about it all when in front of a crowd. The SF media and most others think it is a "done deal" but then it's been very quiet on the D-I front from Augie itself. Hopefully Douple will talk in front of the SF staters crowd again leading into the SL BB Tourney and addresses where they stand on it. Last year at that event he said something of the like "I've heard all this noise about Augie and we have yet to have a single conversation with them."

      I do know this - IMHO our coaches would rather have Augie vs. St. Thomas. All of our sports hammer the Minneapolis metro area for recruits. You elevate St. Thomas to D-I status and put them in our conference. Suddenly there is legit competition up there for recruits. It could have a fairly big impact for our sports who pull kids up there on a regular basis.
      l think it will help recruiting. St. Thomas can only take 2 or 3 in basketball per class, and now we get a scheduled game for mom and dad to play in the Twin Cities and more media exposure.

      Comment


      • #63
        Remember it's the School's Presidents that vote on membership. Not the Commissioner or ADs

        Comment


        • #64
          “While this legislation is under consideration, the Council indicated it would be receptive to a formal waiver request from Division III St. Thomas (Minnesota) and the Summit League that would allow the school to begin the reclassification process.“

          http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ome-di-members

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            “While this legislation is under consideration, the Council indicated it would be receptive to a formal waiver request from Division III St. Thomas (Minnesota) and the Summit League that would allow the school to begin the reclassification process.“

            http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ome-di-members
            In other words, they're golden. The NCAA just said to UST, "submit some paperwork so we can rubber stamp it, then go ahead use the DII to DI process."

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post

              In other words, they're golden. The NCAA just said to UST, "submit some paperwork so we can rubber stamp it, then go ahead use the DII to DI process."
              So you think they'll be in the league for the 21-22 school year?

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by perryc View Post

                So you think they'll be in the league for the 21-22 school year?
                I don't know. I thought I recently heard that they had two years left before their current conference kicks them out, but I don't know if UST wanted to move up before that if possible. I would think 21-22 would be possible if that's what UST wants. I wouldn't be completely surprised if the waiver was granted before July 1, but that could be a stretch with only 10 business days left. But I could also see them willing to effectively back-date everything due to the havoc COVID has caused. IOW, the deadline for a decision like this would have normally been June 1 or July 1, but they'll ignore that this year as long as it's done by something like Sep 1 or Oct 1. But this is all just guessing.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post

                  I don't know. I thought I recently heard that they had two years left before their current conference kicks them out, but I don't know if UST wanted to move up before that if possible. I would think 21-22 would be possible if that's what UST wants. I wouldn't be completely surprised if the waiver was granted before July 1, but that could be a stretch with only 10 business days left. But I could also see them willing to effectively back-date everything due to the havoc COVID has caused. IOW, the deadline for a decision like this would have normally been June 1 or July 1, but they'll ignore that this year as long as it's done by something like Sep 1 or Oct 1. But this is all just guessing.
                  According to WCCO, this will be their last season in the MIAC. So they could join the Summit League right away, if the NCAA expedites UST's request.
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    This is good news for the Summit League. Welcome, St. Thomas. Almost.
                    This space for lease.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Seems like the waiver is pretty much a done deal unless St. Thomas really flubs their paperwork with the NCAA.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by LakeJack View Post

                        l think it will help recruiting. St. Thomas can only take 2 or 3 in basketball per class, and now we get a scheduled game for mom and dad to play in the Twin Cities and more media exposure.
                        I kind of agree,as I've been thinking about this, but can you imagine how good they'd be if they can get even a few of the players like those that are currently going to Iowa, Iowa St, Minnesota....maybe that's a large leap, the Summit isn't the Big 10 or Big 12. Anyhow, how I thought It'd benefit recruiting is exposure, as in perspective recruits actually seeing Summit League teams play in that large Metro area, might help, might hinder dependent on how well the Summit teams perform. Right now to get that they'd probably have to get an "official" visit to see them, or see them perhaps play in the WNIT or NCAA Tournaments, there's another possibility, go see a game that's out of State, highly unlikely. Which leads to the question, is St Thomas likely to rise to the top 1/2 of the league pretty quickly, or will it take longer, or maybe not at all on a regular basis. I think they might help all Summit teams recruit better players if they can put on a good showing. Teams that can schedule and play teams like say, Mississippi State, I would say would have a big advantage, one that was earned however by playing anyone, anywhere on the road mostly for a good while and putting up good performances.That's kudos to our coaching staff for that foresight to build "a name" if you will.I think they'll be a big benefit to the Summit, thus the NCAA if and when they can join.

                        As a side not,does Midco currently serve the Minneapolis Metro area? I don't think they do. I wonder if they'd expand into Minn if Saint Thomas became a Summit League member, that would further enhance exposure.That would be a good thing
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 06-19-2020, 02:25 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          ... As a side not,does Midco currently serve the Minneapolis Metro area? I don't think they do. I wonder if they'd expand into Minn if Saint Thomas became a Summit League member, that would further enhance exposure.That would be a good thing
                          Although now based in Sioux Falls, Midco (formerly Midcontinent Communications) was founded in Minneapolis. It serves parts of Minnesota now, as well as South Dakota and North Dakota and communities in a couple other states. I'm guessing the company would would like to get into the St. Paul market.

                          This space for lease.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

                            Although now based in Sioux Falls, Midco (formerly Midcontinent Communications) was founded in Minneapolis. It serves parts of Minnesota now, as well as South Dakota and North Dakota and communities in a couple other states. I'm guessing the company would would like to get into the St. Paul market.
                            I mean kinda.

                            While your not technically wrong the Cable portion of the business started in ND and SD. I know that form quite some time TCI was a large owner of part of that business.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X