Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

The trouble is that for the most part, Augie's corporate funding probably would come from the same places as SDSU's and USD's. The pie would just have to be cut in smaller pieces. Also, a strong argument could be made that adding Augie would make the league less stable. Does anyone really think the outlying schools want another member school from the Dakotas? Douple has addressed membership expansion in several recent interviews and public speeches. There are multiple teams that want into the league so that they can get a piece of the basketball action. Douple doesn't identify them, other than St. Thomas and Augie, who have have outed themselves. The league definitely wants St. Thomas to join, in large part to expand the geographical footprint of the league to the Twin Cities. Augie is in a market area the Summit already has in hand, and it wouldn't bring anything new or exciting to the conference.
    You couldn't have hit the nail squarer on the head. I've been saying exactly this for months!

All the Augie supporters say is the league would now have two more basketball road games that have fans! I've never once heard them talk about the corporate funding piece of this puzzle.

Even someone as dumb as Gaskins has to realize the Summit isn't going to let team in just to get a couple more road basketball games that aren't played in an empty gym.

Comment

• Thanks, MontanaRabbit.
      I'd also like to hear Augie's media cheerleaders in Sioux Falls talk more about the impact going D-1 would have on the Vikings' football program. Unless Augie has a lot of extra cash laying around to pay for jet travel from coast to coast, playing in the far-flung, non-scholarship Pioneer League could slowly kill the football program. No one seems to care about that.
      This space for lease.

Comment

The trouble is that for the most part, Augie's corporate funding probably would come from the same places as SDSU's and USD's. The pie would just have to be cut in smaller pieces. Also, a strong argument could be made that adding Augie would make the league less stable. Does anyone really think the outlying schools want another member school from the Dakotas? Douple has addressed membership expansion in several recent interviews and public speeches. There are multiple teams that want into the league so that they can get a piece of the basketball action. Douple doesn't identify them, other than St. Thomas and Augie, who have have outed themselves. The league definitely wants St. Thomas to join, in large part to expand the geographical footprint of the league to the Twin Cities. Augie is in a market area the Summit already has in hand, and it wouldn't bring anything new or exciting to the conference.
        If there are better options for a league stand point, I am all for it. If Augie is our only option we are in more trouble then we think. I look at them like Centenary was, but only that Augie can probably field decent enough teams across the board but they don't really add much else to the pie. That's what I worry about adding UMKC back, all things being equal, that school seems to be a mess and doesn't add anything, and to say it would bring in the KC metro market is a reach at best. I cant see many other league schools looking forward to traveling to KC except for maybe Denver and ORU.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• The media is speaking this Augie movie into existence. It will hurt SDSU. We need other fan bases to see the negatives and push their universities to be against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by salemjack View Post
            The media is speaking this Augie movie into existence. It will hurt SDSU. We need other fan bases to see the negatives and push their universities to be against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Long time, no post. I'm not saying anyone has to love or hate the addition of Augie, but what the Summit desperately needs is stability, and it ain't gonna come from Western Illinois. The state's finances are a mess, the school has shed jobs and its spring full-time enrollment is down to 5,325, according to the WIU website. I'm sure WIU will hang on to its D1 status as long as is sustainable, but the trend is in the wrong direction.

I also suspect most if not all of those schools Douple says are contacting him about membership are from the WAC. Maybe a D2, but the Minnesota schools also are in rough financial shape, so I'm skeptical if it's UMD, St. Cloud or Mankato.

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post

If there are better options for a league stand point, I am all for it. If Augie is our only option we are in more trouble then we think. I look at them like Centenary was, but only that Augie can probably field decent enough teams across the board but they don't really add much else to the pie. That's what I worry about adding UMKC back, all things being equal, that school seems to be a mess and doesn't add anything, and to say it would bring in the KC metro market is a reach at best. I cant see many other league schools looking forward to traveling to KC except for maybe Denver and ORU.
              Based on what Doupal has been saying lately, the league has options. If the NCAA waiver for St. Thomas is approved, that would bring basketball up to 10 teams, which for scheduling and revenue-related reasons is the Summit's desired number, at least for now. St. Thomas would start playing a conference schedule next season, but it would not be eligible for the league tourney or post-season play for a few years. If the waiver is denied, I suspect the league might start shopping around. That could put Augie in play. But Doupal makes it clear that it's wrong to consider Augie a sure thing. I suspect he's voicing the opinion of member school presidents.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Based on what Doupal has been saying lately, the league has options. If the NCAA waiver for St. Thomas is approved, that would bring basketball up to 10 teams, which for scheduling and revenue-related reasons is the Summit's desired number, at least for now. St. Thomas would start playing a conference schedule next season, but it would not be eligible for the league tourney or post-season play for a few years. If the waiver is denied, I suspect the league might start shopping around. That could put Augie in play. But Doupal makes it clear that it's wrong to consider Augie a sure thing. I suspect he's voicing the opinion of member school presidents.
                Maybe Kelby and the SF media needs to start lobbying the NCAA to deny St. Thomas' waiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I think the only people that want to hear about Augie to the Summit is the guys on KWSN, the guys at the Argus, and the dozen or so Augie supporters that are for the move.

As far as Augie's fan base goes, I have to wonder if they are really for this move?
                  I have 2 nephews and one niece who are all very loyal Augie grads. I dont think any of them are itching to move to D1. I suspect the average Augie alum is not that passionate about athletics beyond Hating State and all that stuff such as throwing carrots on the court, They are very bright people and many very successful. I don't think they share my Creighton Vision.. I guess it is just me blowing smoke in regards to the Creighton vision, not something likely happening in my time on earth.

I could not agree more with Filbert and others who have pointed how Augie supporters have blown the PR. The last person to be annoyed about this issue is Commissioner Douple. So there go there chances. Douple has researched this issue more than anyone else. He pointed out on KWSN the negatives, such as endowments, and other things that have to be met before Augie can be considered a candidate for membership in the SL. I beginning to think this move is a very dead issue.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 03-15-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• There have been several comments on Augie's goal in student enrollment. What I saw (and heard) was Stephanie's comment that Augie's goal was to double it's enrollment in the next couple of years. That would mean moving from 1800 to 3600. Are you kidding me! SDSU and USD have both been losing enrollment the last two years. And both have been pushing hard to get students from Nebrasa, Iowa and Minnesota,, because the demographics in SD won't support growth in any of the state's institutions. Finally, Augie has a narrow span of educational opportunities compared to the two state universities. There are a lot of things that are changing in college athletics...so never say never to Augie in the Summit...but I wouldn't bet any money on it happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                      There have been several comments on Augie's goal in student enrollment. What I saw (and heard) was Stephanie's comment that Augie's goal was to double it's enrollment in the next couple of years. That would mean moving from 1800 to 3600. Are you kidding me! SDSU and USD have both been losing enrollment the last two years. And both have been pushing hard to get students from Nebrasa, Iowa and Minnesota,, because the demographics in SD won't support growth in any of the state's institutions. Finally, Augie has a narrow span of educational opportunities compared to the two state universities. There are a lot of things that are changing in college athletics...so never say never to Augie in the Summit...but I wouldn't bet any money on it happening.
                      It does seem very unlikely especially with the PR and commissioner Douple problem to deal with.. That is going to be a very difficult situation to patch up. I respect Stephanie as president, but she has a very large challenge ahead of her.

Comment

• "USD and SDSU supportive of Augie joining invite, says high-ranking official"

https://twitter.com/KWSNSports/statu...97263674134529

https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-tal...king-official/

Comment

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          "USD and SDSU supportive of Augie joining invite, says high-ranking official"

https://twitter.com/KWSNSports/statu...97263674134529

https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-tal...king-official/
                          Who's the source? Augie?
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Who's the source? Augie?
                            Ya this definitely surprised me.

Comment

Ya this definitely surprised me.
                              Me too. I'd like to know what changed from a conversation I had with a "high ranking" official at SDSU.

For the record here is KWSN's source: https://twitter.com/SlashToddEpp

Comment

"USD and SDSU supportive of Augie joining invite, says high-ranking official"

Links deleted.
                                I hope that doesn't happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X