Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    I don't think Augie is coming unless something happens. Tom couldn't have been more direct. He almost seemed p#ssed off at Augie for how public they have been.

He went after the kwsn hard.

https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-tal...sibly-joining/
    I totally agree. My opinion is that Augie has totally mis-managed the PR situation from the conference office and the conference school's point of view--however much they may have made inroads with the Sioux Falls media. Seems to me Augie has been pretty high handed about the whole situation. To be blunt, it's almost like they think they are owed Summit League membership simply by existing in Sioux Falls. A little more humility on their part might have gone a long way.

At this point, I personally would look more favorably upon an application from the University of Sioux Falls, or even Northern State, over Augustana--not that I'd really be support an application from either of those.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Yea, I'm sure the student athletes love playing in substandard and empty facilities in Macomb and soon to be UMKC. Everyone focused on enrollment which is irrelevant.
      I am more focused on additions that actually grow the league and make it stronger and Augie isn't going to do that. St Thomas was a tremendous addition, UMKC has potential if their admin can hire the right coach. WIU is a dumpster fire, not sure that is a standard we want to measure any new addition against.

Comment

• http://callingallsportssd.com/….this is interview with Douple and Mike Hendrickson and Mark Ovenden…..Mike said Augie to Summit seemed about 25% chance of happening as guest on kwsn prodcast, not too encouraging???

Comment

• Based on Douple's comments on KWSN, Augie might need a partner in addition to Men's soccer.

Tangent thought - is there any talking in Brookings of adding a men's soccer team? Not sure what women's sport could be added to offset it.
          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
            Based on Douple's comments on KWSN, Augie might need a partner in addition to Men's soccer.

Tangent thought - is there any talking in Brookings of adding a men's soccer team? Not sure what women's sport could be added to offset it.
            Bring back women's tennis could help. shouldn't have cut the tennis programs anyway but basketball and football need all the money they can get so lower level sports get axed.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post

Bring back women's tennis could help. shouldn't have cut the tennis programs anyway but basketball and football need all the money they can get so lower level sports get axed.
              Why shouldn't they have cut the tennis' programs? I am assuming no booster was willing to step up and help fund it.

Also adding non-revenue sports is not going to happen in today's college athletics climate.

Comment

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Why shouldn't they have cut the tennis' programs? I am assuming no booster was willing to step up and help fund it.

Also adding non-revenue sports is not going to happen in today's college athletics climate.
                I guess it depends on the philosophy of the school, provide as many sports or opportunities to student atheletes as they can, or cut as many as they can do benefit football and basketball. Did they ever try a fund raiser to get scholarship money for the tennis teams? Maybe and I didn't hear about it. The tennis teams are a drop in the bucket of the athletic budget. If I am not mistaken no programs at SDSU are revenue neutral or positive, every program is a money loser.

Once equestrian gets cut don't be surprised to see more men's programs get axed. which 99% of people wont be upset about.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

• Did anyone see the halftime interview w/ Douple. Sounds like he was agitated by the Augie question.
                  https://twitter.com/johngaskins981/s...74976097828864

Comment

• I think the logistics of tennis teams without an indoor facility was too much to overcome.
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Did anyone see the halftime interview w/ Douple. Sounds like he was agitated by the Augie question.
                      Yes, it sure seems like Douple is starting to get just a tad annoyed with the Sioux Falls media's obsession with Augustana.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Originally posted by filbert View Post

Yes, it sure seems like Douple is starting to get just a tad annoyed with the Sioux Falls media's obsession with Augustana.
                        Oh good, your ok. I was worried we would have to do a welfare check on you after loosing to the 'dons. Actually that would be pretty cool, Dons like mafia , would be a cool mascot. Vito Corleone imagine of his hair slicked back with cigar smoke drifting up, in a shadowed type logo.

Anyway, back on topic, Maybe midco could do a summit league special about membership expansion and ask the questions then. Out side of Sioux Falls no one is interested in Augie moving up. With that said I don't think its the worst thing ever like others tend to think, if they can come up with the funding, find a way to be competitive in most sports, then I am totally for it for the stability of the league. UMKC doesn't bring anything to the table yet we need them back. Western is a shell of its former self and probably 1 foot out the door even with out Augie. Maybe we need to start kissing arse in the MVC to let us and maybe NDSU in.

Comment

• I think Augustana hired the wrong president. This coming from a leftist registered Democrat. Stephanie is a very gifted person but being able to transform Augustana into a Creighton is more than she can handle. If they had hired Kelby Krabenhoff, this vision might be happening. I risk been sexist in making these comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post

Anyway, back on topic, Maybe midco could do a summit league special about membership expansion and ask the questions then. Out side of Sioux Falls no one is interested in Augie moving up. With that said I don't think its the worst thing ever like others tend to think, if they can come up with the funding, find a way to be competitive in most sports, then I am totally for it for the stability of the league. UMKC doesn't bring anything to the table yet we need them back. Western is a shell of its former self and probably 1 foot out the door even with out Augie. Maybe we need to start kissing arse in the MVC to let us and maybe NDSU in.
                            The trouble is that for the most part, Augie's corporate funding probably would come from the same places as SDSU's and USD's. The pie would just have to be cut in smaller pieces. Also, a strong argument could be made that adding Augie would make the league less stable. Does anyone really think the outlying schools want another member school from the Dakotas? Douple has addressed membership expansion in several recent interviews and public speeches. There are multiple teams that want into the league so that they can get a piece of the basketball action. Douple doesn't identify them, other than St. Thomas and Augie, who have have outed themselves. The league definitely wants St. Thomas to join, in large part to expand the geographical footprint of the league to the Twin Cities. Augie is in a market area the Summit already has in hand, and it wouldn't bring anything new or exciting to the conference.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Did anyone see the halftime interview w/ Douple. Sounds like he was agitated by the Augie question.
                              Based on the announcer's comment, Summit League fans are interested in hearing about Augie? Is this true? I don't venture outside this board, so those of you who do, what is the consensus?
                              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post

Based on the announcer's comment, Summit League fans are interested in hearing about Augie? Is this true? I don't venture outside this board, so those of you who do, what is the consensus?
                                I think the only people that want to hear about Augie to the Summit is the guys on KWSN, the guys at the Argus, and the dozen or so Augie supporters that are for the move.

As far as Augie's fan base goes, I have to wonder if they are really for this move?

Comment

Working...
                                X