2016-17 Road to Sioux Falls SLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-17 Road to Sioux Falls SLT

I like the idea of the 7-10 seeds playing on campus sites. It works and gives everyone a chance. I don't like the Horizon League's set-up for their tournament at all! Scarily big advantage for the 1 and 2 seeds skipping multiple rounds.
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
      I like the idea of the 7-10 seeds playing on campus sites. It works and gives everyone a chance. I don't like the Horizon League's set-up for their tournament at all! Scarily big advantage for the 1 and 2 seeds skipping multiple rounds.
      Agree. And if they F up those of us who have been supporters of this tournament since it started, i will be pissed

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
        They changed it this year to the 7-10 seeds having play in games, which I like better as well. I like the concept of playing them on campus.

Comment

This is a quote from the kelo article about the tourney. any idea what he might mean?

The Summit League has a contract to stay in Sioux Falls through 2022, and organizers say there are more changes coming.

"Well believe me, there's a bunch of them in there. But I don't want to reveal them yet," Douple said.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            I like the 8 team set-up and glad they will stick with it. If team don't perform during the regular season they are not rewarded with tournament appearance.
            I agree. The eight-team tourney limit provides incentive for the teams that get left out to get better, which improves the overall league. In addition to diminishing the regular season, letting every team into the tourney would punish the seventh and eighth seeds by making them compete in play-in games with the ninth and tenth seeds.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              In addition to diminishing the regular season, letting every team into the tourney would punish the seventh and eighth seeds by making them compete in play-in games with the ninth and tenth seeds.
              One could argue that this would make the regular season even more important, as it becomes a big deal to be in the top 6 seeds. If you're in the bottom 40% of the league, you should have a disadvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                One could argue that this would make the regular season even more important, as it becomes a big deal to be in the top 6 seeds. If you're in the bottom 40% of the league, you should have a disadvantage.
                I personally want the best team representing the conference in the NCAA tourney. Hopefully that's the Jackrabbits each and every year. The conference season is a long one with a lot of possible twists and turns. Injuries and other circumstances (playing zone) can result in losses early in the season that could result is one of the best teams at the end of the year being a lower seed. I don't want to see that punished by putting too much weight on the regular season. If you really want that just give the conference regular season winner the bid like the Ivy league does.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  I personally want the best team representing the conference in the NCAA tourney. Hopefully that's the Jackrabbits each and every year. The conference season is a long one with a lot of possible twists and turns. Injuries and other circumstances (playing zone) can result in losses early in the season that could result is one of the best teams at the end of the year being a lower seed. I don't want to see that punished by putting too much weight on the regular season. If you really want that just give the conference regular season winner the bid like the Ivy league does.
                  Isnt that sort of the point. reward the best team? wouldn't that be the regular season champ? Its not nearly as exciting, but if the top couple teams get a better draw im ok with that. Like you said if you want the best team to represent the conference, why not give them a bye, and allow the bottom seeds to beat each other up. Frankly, I am fine with it the way it is, because who knows how membership will change from year to year. And didnt sdsu women get a bye in the tourney one year? memory is a little hazy then, but I don't think it benefited us that much. so maybe its not much help for top seeds.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This may as well be kicked around again as an article about Summit WBB.
                    http://herosports.com/news/d1-womens...-illinois-blbl
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Isnt that sort of the point. reward the best team? wouldn't that be the regular season champ? Its not nearly as exciting, but if the top couple teams get a better draw im ok with that. Like you said if you want the best team to represent the conference, why not give them a bye, and allow the bottom seeds to beat each other up. Frankly, I am fine with it the way it is, because who knows how membership will change from year to year. And didnt sdsu women get a bye in the tourney one year? memory is a little hazy then, but I don't think it benefited us that much. so maybe its not much help for top seeds.
                      I don't know if the "best team" in the conference always wins the regular season, maybe the most consistent. This year is a perfect example. USD is the top seed but I think you can make a compelling argument that SDSU is playing the best. An awful first half of the season took us out of the running for a conference championship though. What if NDSU had won the tie-breaker over USD this year? With the way NDSU finished the season would we be comfortable saying they are the best team in the conference right now?

I love the conference tourney and hope they never go to giving the bid to the winner of the conference. I also wouldn't mind the 7-10/8-9 play-in games. Play them on campus sites early in the week.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                        This may as well be kicked around again as an article about Summit WBB.
                        http://herosports.com/news/d1-womens...-illinois-blbl
                        For some perspective on how close we might be, Creighton (our annual opponent and a team that typically ends up losing to the Dakota schools in the WNIT) is currently 22-6 and is predicted by ESPN to be a 7-seed at-large team this year. We gave them one of those six losses. How far ahead of SDSU is Creighton as a program? They certainly benefit from having several other top-50 teams in their conference.

Comment

[QUOTE=jackmd;311789]I personally want the best team representing the conference in the NCAA tourney. Hopefully that's the Jackrabbits each and every year. The conference season is a long one with a lot of possible twists and turns. Injuries and other circumstances (playing zone) can result in losses early in the season that could result is one of the best teams at the end of the year being a lower seed. I don't want to see that punished by putting too much weight on the regular season. If you really want that just give the conference regular season winner the bid like the Ivy league does.

This year will be the first year the Ivy League will have a conference tournament. Its will be just the top 4 teams that make it.

Comment

The team that gets the NCAA bid should be the one that is playing the best at the end of the season, which is the tournament champion. Someone asked about our women getting a first round bye in a previous Summit Tourney - I believe there was a season or two when there were only seven teams eligible and the top seed got a bye.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              The team that gets the NCAA bid should be the one that is playing the best at the end of the season, which is the tournament champion. Someone asked about our women getting a first round bye in a previous Summit Tourney - I believe there was a season or two when there were only seven teams eligible and the top seed got a bye.
                              It was indeed the one year when there were only 7 eligible teams. And we lost our first game (in the semifinals) to USD who went on to win the tournament.

Comment

That's why I think that the better teams getting a first round bye isn't always an advantage. They end up playing a team that has the tournament jitters out of their systems and come in with momentum on their side.

Comment

Working...
                                X