Tougher road at the Tourney-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tougher road at the Tourney-

Does the SDSU men's team or the SDSU's women's team have a better chance to win the conference tournament?

Both teams are the #2 seeds.
    They both might have to play a #3 seed that they lost to in the regular season and then play a #1 seed that they lost to, too. The women lost twice to the #1 seed but they were in both games.
    Both teams will have a day off and they will both probably need it. The women's team is normally 10 deep but this season they only play about 8 players. The men's team might only be about 7 deep but they put in King and Devine some so both teams might be about they same in depth this season. The men are more banged up right now so that could make a difference.
    The women's team has Thompson and the men's team has Daum that will be consistent. The women need Ober to not get into foul trouble and then they have 2 really strong posts but they only play 3 players most of the game down low where the men play 4 players.
    It might just come down to if Miller and Guebert can play better or Marshall and Parks. Parks hasn't been shooting as much lately but the other 3 players will put up about 13 shots a game. If they are hitting, it will be tough to beat either team.

I'm sure I'm way off on this but I just don't know f one team looks much better than the other.

Re: Tougher road at the Tourney-

I don't see either SDSU teams losing in the 1st round. The 2nd round will come down to who they play.

On the men's side:

UNO and Denver split on the season with Denver winning the most recent game in Omaha. If Denver can get UNO to play there pace, I like the Pioneers chances. If it is a SDSU/Denver matchup. I don't see SDSU losing that game. The Jacks have handled them both times they played. If it is a SDSU/UNO match-up, I would almost consider it a toss-up game. It will come down to if SDSU plays defense or goes into a offense frenzy game and tries to outscore the Mavs. I don't like our chances if that happens.

On the women's side:

IUPUI and UNO split this season with the Mavs winning the ost recent game in Omaha. If UNO does win, I don't see the Jacks having a problem against them. SDSU's defense will be to much for UNO. They can be dangerous though if they are hitting there outside shots. If IUPUI wins, I think the game will be just like the ORU game last year in Sioux Falls. It won't be pretty, but SDSU will come out on top. The crowd will be a big factor in that game.

Both championship games are hard to call. It will come down to whatever teams want it more.

Comment

I think the women may have a tougher time than the men simply because they aren't as good of an offensive team. They play really good defense, but can be hit by long scoring droughts and just haven't been very consistent from deep this year.

Comment

Very good question. I'll give the men 50% odds of winning and the women 35%.

The primary two reasons are the relative age of the teams and the crowd factor. The men's team (lots of seniors) will have a dominant advantage with the crowd for every game. The SDSU women (so young) will have a definite crowd advantage if they make it to the finals, but USD (lots of seniors) will have decent crowd support. Of the two, the men are most likely to lose in the opening round. I think the women will have the toughest test in the second round. Such a young team, so much pressure.....

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          Very good question. I'll give the men 50% odds of winning and the women 35%.

The primary two reasons are the relative age of the teams and the crowd factor. The men's team (lots of seniors) will have a dominant advantage with the crowd for every game. The SDSU women (so young) will have a definite crowd advantage if they make it to the finals, but USD (lots of seniors) will have decent crowd support. Of the two, the men are most likely to lose in the opening round. I think the women will have the toughest test in the second round. Such a young team, so much pressure.....

Is this comment based on the strength of ORU or more on the weakness of the women's conference overall?
          Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldCountryJack View Post
            [/B]Is this comment based on the strength of ORU or more on the weakness of the women's conference overall?
            I don't know about him but we beat ORU by 8 & 12 points but we beat IPFW by 19 & 28 points. If ORU kept both games within 12 points and they lost by an average of 10 points, they aren't all that far off.
            IPFW lost by an average of 23.5 points. That gives you a lot more leeway.

I think the women's conference might be weaker(as a whole) but the top 2 or 3 teams are strong. I don't know about winning a NCAA Tourney game but I can see either of them winning about 3 or 4 WNIT games. Will those 3 women's teams win more postseason games that all of the men's teams put together?

Comment

Tougher road at the Tourney-

Exactly, the bottom of the women's bracket is a whole lot farther down than the men's. Obi has the potential to almost singlehandedly will ORU to a win.

Put another way, if each SDSU team comes out and plays a clunker of a game on Saturday, the women would be much more likely to survive. More margin for error.
              Last edited by Southeast; 02-29-2016, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I think the sdsu women boat race ipfw in the tourny again. After that its really hard. I think we beat iupui since they have to play back to back days. I think the finals is a coin flip if we play usd. If usd loses before us we win for sure. If we lose before finals usd wins forsure. Gonna be a south dakota school for sure on the women.

The men just hope they don't over look oru since they just played and beat them. Could happen but I doubt it. More worried the more I think about it is if we play denver that slow down pace takes away some of the advantage of a day of rest. They might not get as worn out in the game. Omaha if its a tight game the way they press and run might be just a littled gassed playing us the second night. If we get by omaha I think the men win it. Not sure ndsu could beat iupui and fw back to back nights. What I hope is iupui beats fw and has to play us and are a little more worn out then we are. Either way I think we beat fw or iupui. I think only ndsu or omaha could nock us out. Will be pissed if ndsu beats us again this year. How ever

I am actually picking both mens and womens brakets that all 4 top seeds advance. Sdsu women win a close one over usd in the finals and sdsu men pull away late over fw.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Okay Home dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                  X