Omaha Next Basketball rising stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omaha Next Basketball rising stars

Next couple of years I think you are going to face much more local talent when Omaha comes to play. Appears to be a true up and coming basketball talent from the growing Sudanese population down here. It is really interesting to see the development and talent that is starting to come out.

Didn't know if SDSU would come down recruiting here for players or if you limit it to taking all the football players from the metro.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...con-for-change

Re: Omaha Next Basketball rising stars

Originally posted by unobovine View Post
    Next couple of years I think you are going to face much more local talent when Omaha comes to play. Appears to be a true up and coming basketball talent from the growing Sudanese population down here. It is really interesting to see the development and talent that is starting to come out.

Didn't know if SDSU would come down recruiting here for players or if you limit it to taking all the football players from the metro.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...con-for-change
    The Jackrabbit MBB program has two players from NE (one from west river and another just outside the Omaha metro) on their current roster, had an offer out to a '16 kid in Lincoln (who ultimately chose USD), has an offer out to a '17 kid from Norfolk, and wouldn't be surprised if we offered the kid from Winnebago here soon.

I highly doubt the coaching staff will ignore Omaha if there is talent to had in the metro.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Brian Cooley, one of our assistants, is a native of Papillion, NE. I'm confident he will fish out the kids that would be a good fit for our school and program.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        The Jackrabbit MBB program has two players from NE (one from west river and another just outside the Omaha metro) on their current roster, had an offer out to a '16 kid in Lincoln (who ultimately chose USD), has an offer out to a '17 kid from Norfolk, and wouldn't be surprised if we offered the kid from Winnebago here soon.

I highly doubt the coaching staff will ignore Omaha if there is talent to had in the metro.
        The West River comment made me smile, but I get what you are saying. I will be honest that I never heard of Daum when he was in high school and I live west of Lincoln, which is relative to West River in South Dakota.

Cooley is doing a fine job of finding and communicating with potential recruits. I had shared information with Nagy about a sophomore and a freshman from Nebraska in January and Cooley responded with a thank you. In talking to the sophomore's dad, he had mentioned that SDSU had been in contact with his son since his freshman year. The staff is doing an excellent job of finding talent from Nebraska and recruiting them. While I'd love to be consistently landing recruits before other mid-majors and Power Five conferences get their hands on Midwest talent, I can't argue with their success in finding jewels that others overlook and blending in transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          The West River comment made me smile, but I get what you are saying. I will be honest that I never heard of Daum when he was in high school and I live west of Lincoln, which is relative to West River in South Dakota.

Cooley is doing a fine job of finding and communicating with potential recruits. I had shared information with Nagy about a sophomore and a freshman from Nebraska in January and Cooley responded with a thank you. In talking to the sophomore's dad, he had mentioned that SDSU had been in contact with his son since his freshman year. The staff is doing an excellent job of finding talent from Nebraska and recruiting them. While I'd love to be consistently landing recruits before other mid-majors and Power Five conferences get their hands on Midwest talent, I can't argue with their success in finding jewels that others overlook and blending in transfers.
          Western Nebraska is the one legged red headed step child in Nebraska, and I recall Alliance had some very good teams years ago and many of those kids were past up by UNO and SDSU both so not surprised about no knowledge of Daum. What a natural!!! Someone maybe Brian Cooley seen some potential there and boy was he right. With his mother being the player she was at Wyoming, he has got to have good genes.

Comment

I sincerely hope the Jacks main focus will not be in Ne recruiting bb players. I'm sure there are a few good ones who fly under the radar like Mike but overall there's not a lot of reason to "beat the brush" for NE players. There are usually very visible to all if they are good. The continued focus on the rest of the Upper Midwest is what's important if we are really serious about competing for wins in the NCAA tourney. I like the makeup of the roster right now with kids all over the upper midwest, those kids will help bring in others. I've always been surprised about how little impact the jacks have had in the Twin Cities. We lose recruits to crappy teams like Drake etc. Guessing the size of Brookings is an issue for some.
            Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldCountryJack View Post
              I sincerely hope the Jacks main focus will not be in Ne recruiting bb players. I'm sure there are a few good ones who fly under the radar like Mike but overall there's not a lot of reason to "beat the brush" for NE players. There are usually very visible to all if they are good. The continued focus on the rest of the Upper Midwest is what's important if we are really serious about competing for wins in the NCAA tourney. I like the makeup of the roster right now with kids all over the upper midwest, those kids will help bring in others. I've always been surprised about how little impact the jacks have had in the Twin Cities. We lose recruits to crappy teams like Drake etc. Guessing the size of Brookings is an issue for some.
              Which also may be why we are looking to more rural regions like western NE for recruits. Have to recruit kids who are comfortable in a small-town environment.

Comment

Anyone else remember the mavbots? Not sure why this post reminded me of that, but it did and it made me chuckle.

Anyway, I see Omaha becoming a very good Summit League team.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Yah Omaha is gonna be good, they have an athletic young team and it worries me considering we are losing five guards this year (although Jacobsen doesn't really contribute)
                  The JACKEDRABBITS aren't that cute.. we can be mean too!

Comment

Originally posted by TennesseeJackrabbit View Post
                    Yah Omaha is gonna be good, they have an athletic young team and it worries me considering we are losing five guards this year (although Jacobsen doesn't really contribute)
                    They lose almost as much as the Jacks - White and Patterson are their top two scorers and Smallwood and Reed are probably their top two off the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                      The West River comment made me smile, but I get what you are saying.
                      Lol, that's the pre-programmed South Dakota geography in me. I didn't even think twice about it when I typed it even though I know better.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Still will have hollins and Thurman and seem to have some big young guys who didn't play much this year like Pirog and a pretty big guard in Zach Jackson
                        The JACKEDRABBITS aren't that cute.. we can be mean too!

Comment

Working...
                        X