X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Summit MBB

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    Or maybe i read your forum too much
    Forum posters are not necessarily a good cross-section of an actual fan base's attitudes . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Forum posters are not necessarily a good cross-section of an actual fan base's attitudes . . .
      Most emphatically agree....just for the sake of agreement!

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
        USD will fight and battle to the end on Saturday. I would be shocked, if the Jackrabbits won by more than 10.

Talent wise, they should be able to, but I'm guessing the Coyotes performance tonight in indicative of them looking forward to Saturday.
        I hate to say I was right, but I was right. Honestly, as soon as I saw them lay that egg to Denver, I was pretty sure they were going to come out guns blazin.

It was a perfect storm, they were at home, they laid an egg last time out, the Jacks had just humiliated O.R., and then they came out and hit 7 3's in the first half (and they average 6 a game). The Coyotes played great, the Jackrabbits did not. End of story.

Let's see what happens in the Summit Tournament.

Comment

I agree. But i still bet the majority of each fan base will be cheering against their rival. They can pretend like they want us to win but i dont believe it. Im hoping to never see them in the ncaa tourney in my lifetime. I hope to live to be 100. That would be 40+ years.

Comment

According to this, there are 55 schools which have never made the field of the NCAA tournament. (It's a year old, so . . .)

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...asketball-2014

UPDATE: It's down to 35 schools:

http://thesportsarsenal.com/2015/02/...-2015-edition/

UPDATE II: The Sports Arsenal article apparently written by somebody who doesn't know USD is in the Summit. RPIRatings.com has a list of 35 schools which have not been in the tournament for 10 or more years.

Aw, heck. I've lost interest already.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

According to this, there are 55 schools which have never made the field of the NCAA tournament. (It's a year old, so . . .)

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...asketball-2014

UPDATE: It's down to 35 schools:

http://thesportsarsenal.com/2015/02/...-2015-edition/
              I like his comment on summit league names. I thought that atlantic sun was pretty odd/lame collection of team names.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Jeff Kolpack of the Fargo Forum says USD will win the tournament.

I'd bet money that doesn't happen.

EDIT: Here's the link. http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/?p=92022

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post

I've noted a general tendency to believe that the last game played is how a particular team will play from now on.

This rarely happens.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post

His reasoning is laughable:

South Dakota is hot winning five of its last six including a convincing win over the Jackrabbits to close the regular season. The Coyotes have six players, six, who averaged double figures in scoring in Summit League games with Tyler Larson one of the top overall players in the league in scoring and rebounding. They’re a veteran team loaded with juniors and seniors, look out for this team.

SDSU has one of its better defensive teams under Scott Nagy, but I’m not convinced there’s enough overall scoring to get through three games.

Brown’s bad knee is not a good sign for the Bison. Like a shutdown corner in football, you need a defensive stopper in tournament time and if he’s not 100 percent, that’s pretty tough. Lawrence Alexander can carry a team in a weekend series, but to do it for three games may be asking too much.

Oral Roberts is intriguing after bombing the Bison, but that may have been an emotionally-charged win as much as anything after one of its top players was suspended. Over three games, reality will set in for the Golden Eagles.

Fort Wayne has a chance with center Steve Forbes, but the Mastodons are also coming in losers of two of their last three including to a very average Nebraska-Omaha team. - See more at: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/?p=....3Rk8XOrb.dpuf

SDSU is 51st in point per game. 4 starters are averaging double digits in points. I think the Jacks can score the ball. SDSU has won 12 of their last 14 games but they aren't considered "hot"? Does Kolpack know that Denver rolled USD a game prior to the SDSU game? He considered USD "hot" because they won 5 out of their last 6 games, 1 which was against a non d1 team. The farthest USD will be going will be the semis if they are lucky enough to get by IPFW.

Kolpack should stick with football.....

Comment

One thing observers fail to note regarding the SDSU-USD game in Vermillion is that SDSU had nothing tangible to play for, they already had the #1 seed wrapped up. This is sometimes a very high wall for young men to climb over to get ready for a game, even against your in-state rival. On the other side, USD was still fighting for seeding-I believe they entered the game with a chance, if other teams lost, to be the #3 seed.

USD also had that taste in their mouth of the 20-0 lead in Brookings that evaporated on them, that they wanted to expunge.

Motivation matters.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

When it comes to tourney time , defense becomes even more important than in the regular season. On the men's side , I can't recall many Summit tourney games that were high scoring up and down the floor games , especially once you get past the quarterfinals. That favors the Jacks. USD's post defense isn't very good. They fouled Larson 10-plus times Saturday and still couldn't stop him. And I don't see the Jacks perimeter players going 6-30 very often.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          When it comes to tourney time , defense becomes even more important than in the regular season. On the men's side , I can't recall many Summit tourney games that were high scoring up and down the floor games , especially once you get past the quarterfinals. That favors the Jacks. USD's post defense isn't very good. They fouled Larson 10-plus times Saturday and still couldn't stop him. And I don't see the Jacks perimeter players going 6-30 very often.
                          I think Oakland (I think our 2nd year in the Summit) would fit into that high scoring mold.

Comment

The roller-coaster emphasis on everyone's most-recent game gets exhausting. Champions one week, chumps the next and then back to champions.

Fort Wayne lost to Omaha - AT HOME. I guess we can count them out as contenders.....
                            SDSU lost a road rivalry game that had zero effect on their #1 standing. Forget about them and their home crowd in Sioux Falls.....
                            USD got hammered by a below-average Denver team at home and then two days later (on senior day) they win the one game of the year where 3,000 people care to show up. They're the hottest team in the league.....

I will agree with one thing Kolpack said, NDSU is a really tough spot if Brown is limited/out. They lack depth with him. Without, they are going to need some heroic 3-game performances from a couple of others. I'll also agree that it is very difficult to predict who is going to win this tournament.

Comment

I don't think USD is consistent enough to beat IPFW, SDSU and then NDSU or ORU. He talks about their hot streak but there is really only one impressive win in that streak and there are two times they got slaughtered(NDSU and Denver). One of their wins was also against something call Avila, not sure if that is a university or some kind of blood pressure medicine.

Comment

The SLT is akin to the opening of the season. All the teams have strong aspirations of success going into the tournament. The OOC and conference only has a bit of relevance with the seeding and all teams are energized with determination and hope. It is also a week of no games and many analysts filling our world with information to be sifted through. I really like those guys who agree with me. I am really ready for Saturday's games to begin. I would guess that most who have been regulars at the SLT are ready for the buzz of the tournament. After tonight's Northern Sun is decided, I would expect the Argus and television stations will fuel the fire for the SLT. The new arena ought to be a nice improvement as well. It would be even better with 2 Jackrabbit teams playing Tuesday!
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X