Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Summit MBB

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    This is the type of article I will expect from the Argus of whom I pay exclusively for the SDSU coverage. Sorry to drag that convo. here, but it seems applicable.
    I found the article via the Summit Hoops tweet.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

This is the type of article I will expect from the Argus of whom I pay exclusively for the SDSU coverage. Sorry to drag that convo. here, but it seems applicable.
      And whom other people pay exclusively for non-SDSU coverage. Because it's a paper dedicated to covering numerous sports and numerous teams (several of which are actually in-season right now or will be in the next couple of weeks, unlike men's basketball) for an entire region.

Do you think Zimmer won't write a preview story when the opportunity is available and, frankly, more newsworthy/relevant?

Perhaps someone will start an SDSU-only sports paper or blog that you can pay exclusively for coverage. But your initial comment is like saying you pay HyVee exclusively for its seasonal fruit selection and are disappointed when HyVee invests in providing other fruit options for customers when that seasonal fruit happens to be out of season.

Comment

It's August, the football team reports today and you are complaining about the lack of men's BASKETBALL coverage?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
          And whom other people pay exclusively for non-SDSU coverage. Because it's a paper dedicated to covering numerous sports and numerous teams (several of which are actually in-season right now or will be in the next couple of weeks, unlike men's basketball) for an entire region.

Do you think Zimmer won't write a preview story when the opportunity is available and, frankly, more newsworthy/relevant?

Perhaps someone will start an SDSU-only sports paper or blog that you can pay exclusively for coverage. But your initial comment is like saying you pay HyVee exclusively for its seasonal fruit selection and are disappointed when HyVee invests in providing other fruit options for customers when that seasonal fruit happens to be out of season.
          My wife and I are members at Costco, and there are some products that we utilize more from Costco than other customers. If Costco changed their selection or provided less of those key products that we value highly, the value of our Costco membership would be reduced. That doesn't mean it wouldn't still meet the needs of many customers. This Argus Leader coverage discussion is much the same.

As far as college sports readership goes, SDSU coverage simply drives more traffic to the Argus Leader (particularly online readership), than do other local colleges. I do not claim to know how this translates to revenue for the Argus, but if they care about this traffic driven by SDSU fans, they do need to address the subject of again hiring a full time beat writer to cover all things Jackrabbit sports. Terry V and his top notch reporting were a big part of this success, but the large SDSU fan base also plays a big role. All SDSU fans expect the Argus to again hire a full time reporter to feed us SDSU news, and frankly no other college in the state has the fan base to justify a full time beat reporter. So for us, the drop in SDSU coverage does substantively change the perceived value of our Argus Leader subscription. That doesn't mean that your Argus Leader subscription can't still seeem like a great value to you.
          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Lunardi projected SDSU as a 15 seed in his most recent bracketology (8/5)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
              It's August, the football team reports today and you are complaining about the lack of men's BASKETBALL coverage?
              No, just the depth of coverage, and to all who are wound up by my post. Slow your roll. I'm friends with matt and its not an indictment of him. Just similar to what I would expect (& what I should have added is when we get a full time guy) but my point remains this is the type of thing I would expect (in season of course. I know we're in the summer lull)

Comment

No, just the depth of coverage, and to all who are wound up by my post. Slow your roll. I'm friends with matt and its not an indictment of him. Just similar to what I would expect (& what I should have added is when we get a full time guy) but my point remains this is the type of thing I would expect (in season of course. I know we're in the summer lull)
                My bad. I misinterpreted your comments as meaning you expect that kind of hyper-exclusive coverage right now, halfway through the offseason. The clarification makes more sense. Sorry for speeding my roll.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                  Lunardi projected SDSU as a 15 seed in his most recent bracketology (8/5)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
                  You are kidding right? He obviously should have NDSU as a 14.

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                    My wife and I are members at Costco, and there are some products that we utilize more from Costco than other customers. If Costco changed their selection or provided less of those key products that we value highly, the value of our Costco membership would be reduced. That doesn't mean it wouldn't still meet the needs of many customers. This Argus Leader coverage discussion is much the same.

As far as college sports readership goes, SDSU coverage simply drives more traffic to the Argus Leader (particularly online readership), than do other local colleges. I do not claim to know how this translates to revenue for the Argus, but if they care about this traffic driven by SDSU fans, they do need to address the subject of again hiring a full time beat writer to cover all things Jackrabbit sports. Terry V and his top notch reporting were a big part of this success, but the large SDSU fan base also plays a big role. All SDSU fans expect the Argus to again hire a full time reporter to feed us SDSU news, and frankly no other college in the state has the fan base to justify a full time beat reporter. So for us, the drop in SDSU coverage does substantively change the perceived value of our Argus Leader subscription. That doesn't mean that your Argus Leader subscription can't still seeem like a great value to you.
                    Even though I've already conceded that I misinterpreted slosho, I'll (slowly) roll with this because it's the offseason and there's not much else going on right now. My point was less that it shouldn't diminish the perceived value of your Argus Leader subscription. My point was more that if the entirety of the perceived value comes from a very specific facet of the entire product as a whole, one shouldn't be surprised if he or she isn't receiving the perceived value when that small facet isn't the focus for a certain stretch of time.

On a side note (and I know no matter how I try to preface it or frame it, people will inevitably misperceive this as arguing/bickering, which it's not intended to be), you say "SDSU coverage simply drives more traffic to the Argus Leader than do other local colleges."

Two things:

1) Do you actually know that for sure? Is that something Zimmer or someone has mentioned in the past, or is your assumption just, "Well that has to be the case, obviously." ? Like I said, I'm not arguing/bickering. I'd just genuinely be curious to know if that's confirmed as fact or if it's simply conjecture, mostly just because I enjoy learning information like that if it is accurate.

2) Whether it's confirmed as fact or not, I probably wouldn't disagree with you. That seems like a logical assumption. However, in the context of the post I was responding to (the initial post from slosho), my point wasn't a comparison between SDSU and other local colleges during the college sports seasons of August through May. My point was the comparison between ALL of the sports and sports-related activities happening in this region right now, presently, during the college sports off-season vs. SDSU basketball, which I had misinterpreted as slosho's key point in this discussion (that SDSU basketball should be receiving prime preseason coverage in the middle of its offseason).

I don't disagree that SDSU should have a full-time beat writer when the season rolls around. I just disagreed with slosho's initial post (specifically, my misinterpretation of his initial post), in which I thought he meant offseason SDSU men's basketball should be the coverage priority over all of the other things happening in the region right now.

Hope that clarifies my perspective a little bit. Sorry if it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                      Even though I've already conceded that I misinterpreted slosho, I'll (slowly) roll with this because it's the offseason and there's not much else going on right now. My point was less that it shouldn't diminish the perceived value of your Argus Leader subscription. My point was more that if the entirety of the perceived value comes from a very specific facet of the entire product as a whole, one shouldn't be surprised if he or she isn't receiving the perceived value when that small facet isn't the focus for a certain stretch of time.

On a side note (and I know no matter how I try to preface it or frame it, people will inevitably misperceive this as arguing/bickering, which it's not intended to be), you say "SDSU coverage simply drives more traffic to the Argus Leader than do other local colleges."

Two things:

1) Do you actually know that for sure? Is that something Zimmer or someone has mentioned in the past, or is your assumption just, "Well that has to be the case, obviously." ? Like I said, I'm not arguing/bickering. I'd just genuinely be curious to know if that's confirmed as fact or if it's simply conjecture, mostly just because I enjoy learning information like that if it is accurate.

2) Whether it's confirmed as fact or not, I probably wouldn't disagree with you. That seems like a logical assumption. However, in the context of the post I was responding to (the initial post from slosho), my point wasn't a comparison between SDSU and other local colleges during the college sports seasons of August through May. My point was the comparison between ALL of the sports and sports-related activities happening in this region right now, presently, during the college sports off-season vs. SDSU basketball, which I had misinterpreted as slosho's key point in this discussion (that SDSU basketball should be receiving prime preseason coverage in the middle of its offseason).

I don't disagree that SDSU should have a full-time beat writer when the season rolls around. I just disagreed with slosho's initial post (specifically, my misinterpretation of his initial post), in which I thought he meant offseason SDSU men's basketball should be the coverage priority over all of the other things happening in the region right now.

Hope that clarifies my perspective a little bit. Sorry if it doesn't.
                      I think we are good. It is also possible that at the time I commented I was simply looking for a few minute break from work. So please frame my mind dump with that bit of context.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I disagree that Connor Devine will be the starting post.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          I disagree that Connor Devine will be the starting post.
                          I agree with your disagreement.

Comment

My only beef is with the Argus for not filling the job for over 6 months and expecting an employee to do 2 jobs for that period of time. It unfairly put Zimmer in a no-win situation where it was hard to please anyone. It appears the paper has the mindset that nothing much happens on the college scene from mid-March until September and took the opportunity to try and save a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              My only beef is with the Argus for not filling the job for over 6 months and expecting an employee to do 2 jobs for that period of time. It unfairly put Zimmer in a no-win situation where it was hard to please anyone. It appears the paper has the mindset that nothing much happens on the college scene from mid-March until September and took the opportunity to try and save a few bucks.
                              This I can actually agree on

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                                You are kidding right? He obviously should have NDSU as a 14.
                                Yes, because losing over half your offense makes a team better? Kory Brown better have worked on his shooting this off-season.

Comment

Working...
                                X