Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Hires Craig Smith

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I think $$$ trump old rivalries. Craig must have made an offer that pulled him out of Greely....
    Still looking for some 'official' announcement of Austin going to USD.

It looks like there are several approaches to resume building for college basketball coaches including the following two: 1) stay hitched to a famous coach for a lot of years and then look for your own program or 2) move around and get some experience at different schools under different coaches. Austin is doing the latter. It will be interesting to see what his pay level will be and compare it to what he received at N Colorado.

I think the second- or third-to-last basketball game I attended at USD was when Austin's team played the 'Yotes, featuring Osama Bin Mueller. I watched Mueller intentionally cut Austin's legs out from under him when Austin was going up for a shot and Austin was injured -- my memory is that he missed several games. Later in that game, Derek Schantz evened the score with a just-as-intentional elbow to Mueller's nose as Schantz was at the top of the key and Mueller was chasing the Jackrabbit with the ball. Mueller went to his knees with a well-bloodied nose, imploring the ref to do something, arms extended, palms up, in the "WTF?" gesture. I don't think the refs saw a thing but if they did, they had to be thinking "you deserved it -- no call, buddy, go stuff some cotton up your nose".

Comment

Originally posted by SkippyJack View Post
      Austin Hansen is an excellent recruiter- he brings a lot to the table. He is an honest and sincere person who won't blow smoke about a recruits abilities but will inspire confidence because he is approachable, organized, has the ability to speak to young men on their level and has a degree of authority because he has been there and done that. He knows the recruiting scene extremely well locally but won't limit himself to location if he finds the right recruit further afield. An excellent hire for USD. I think the Jacks suffered when he left us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Hansen is an excellent recruiter , but the incoming class shows that there are others on the current staff that can recruit just as well.

Comment

I just scoured the internet pretty hard and could not find any mention of Austin Hansen leaving UNC (other than this message board and a little spill-over from this thread on to the 'Yote message board).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I just scoured the internet pretty hard and could not find any mention of Austin Hansen leaving UNC (other than this message board and a little spill-over from this thread on to the 'Yote message board).
          I'm not believing it until USD announces it. I can't find anything that Hansen is leaving UNC. How much is Hansen making at UNC? I doubt USD will be able to offer him that much more money for him to leave UNC after 1 year just to become another assistant coach.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Still looking for some 'official' announcement of Austin going to USD.

It looks like there are several approaches to resume building for college basketball coaches including the following two: 1) stay hitched to a famous coach for a lot of years and then look for your own program or 2) move around and get some experience at different schools under different coaches. Austin is doing the latter. It will be interesting to see what his pay level will be and compare it to what he received at N Colorado.

I think the second- or third-to-last basketball game I attended at USD was when Austin's team played the 'Yotes, featuring Osama Bin Mueller. I watched Mueller intentionally cut Austin's legs out from under him when Austin was going up for a shot and Austin was injured -- my memory is that he missed several games. Later in that game, Derek Schantz evened the score with a just-as-intentional elbow to Mueller's nose as Schantz was at the top of the key and Mueller was chasing the Jackrabbit with the ball. Mueller went to his knees with a well-bloodied nose, imploring the ref to do something, arms extended, palms up, in the "WTF?" gesture. I don't think the refs saw a thing but if they did, they had to be thinking "you deserved it -- no call, buddy, go stuff some cotton up your nose".
            Oh boy when he undercut hansen that was bad. Didn't even try to make a play on the ball. One year didn't he pull his shorts down or something screaming at the refs like he got scratched or something.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
              First post ever on here. I'm in med school down here at USD and was at the wellness center and swore I saw Austin with this really tall recruit this afternoon but then second guessed myself. I saw him again later walking out and was even more certain it was him. Haven't seen anything in the news though to confirm it.
              Could this person you saw be none other than Craig Smith? Both Austin and Craig sport the bald look. One could easily be mistaken for the other.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                I'm not believing it until USD announces it. I can't find anything that Hansen is leaving UNC. How much is Hansen making at UNC? I doubt USD will be able to offer him that much more money for him to leave UNC after 1 year just to become another assistant coach.
                Just got off the phone with a major booster and inside USD guy, he was calling to ask if I had heard about the latest coaching hire. I replied with Austin Hansen and he said correct. He has reliable sources in the AD's office.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It's kind of strange that Hansen's twitter feed has nothing about this supposed move, isn't it?
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Just got off the phone with a major booster and inside USD guy, he was calling to ask if I had heard about the latest coaching hire. I replied with Austin Hansen and he said correct. He has reliable sources in the AD's office.

Ah. Connections. Gotta try that some day . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      Ah. Connections. Gotta try that some day . . .
                      I still hope he is wrong. He hasn't been in the past but I can always hope for a first time.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Could this person you saw be none other than Craig Smith? Both Austin and Craig sport the bald look. One could easily be mistaken for the other.
                        I saw Smith's picture in the news and I'm certain it wasn't him. I was in the middle of a game when they walked by so I was somewhat far away and couldn't walk up to whoever it was and talk to them. However, I've been watching Austin play since I was little and have a good idea of what he looks like. I could be wrong (and as a Jacks fan, I'm hoping I am incorrect) but when I saw a post on here about him taking an asst. job, it seemed much more probable that it really was him. I'm not going to let myself believe it until I officially see something in the news though.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Oh boy when he undercut hansen that was bad. Didn't even try to make a play on the ball. One year didn't he pull his shorts down or something screaming at the refs like he got scratched or something.
                          Mueller was complaining about being bitten in the thigh. He was trying to show the ref the teeth marks.

Hansen has been hired. He had a guy about 7 feet tall on campus today, does anyone know who that would be? It sounds like you guys have some good things to say about Austin. I hope he is good. If he's as good of a coach as he was a player then I will be very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by yote4life View Post
                            Mueller was complaining about being bitten in the thigh. He was trying to show the ref the teeth marks.

Hansen has been hired. He had a guy about 7 feet tall on campus today, does anyone know who that would be? It sounds like you guys have some good things to say about Austin. I hope he is good. If he's as good of a coach as he was a player then I will be very happy.

See post #53. I believe there is a 7 footer that is leaving Nebraska.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              It's kind of strange that Hansen's twitter feed has nothing about this supposed move, isn't it?
                              Exactly, if you just search his name nothing about him joining USD is cited. You would think their would be a leak out there if this move was real right? It doesn't make any sense for him to leave UNC after 1 year just to become another assistant coach at USD. I can't figure out why he would leave SDSU to go to UNC for 1 year than leave to go to USD besides money. The only reason why he would leave UNC would be for money, which i doubt that USD has enough money in their budget to hire Hansen away from UNC. I think this is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                                Exactly, if you just search his name nothing about him joining USD is cited. You would think their would be a leak out there if this move was real right? It doesn't make any sense for him to leave UNC after 1 year just to become another assistant coach at USD. I can't figure out why he would leave SDSU to go to UNC for 1 year than leave to go to USD besides money. The only reason why he would leave UNC would be for money, which i doubt that USD has enough money in their budget to hire Hansen away from UNC. I think this is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

Assistants come and assistants go. Not sure why this is so hard to believe. You did read jackmd's post, yes? Hansen is at USD. The world will not end...
                                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                                X