This thread needs some Muskrat Love.

I blame the Benadryl.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: USD Hires Craig Smith

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      This thread needs some Muskrat Love.

I blame the Benadryl.
      Well, that was 3:36 of my life I'll never get back. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Well, hope springs eternal . . .

And, realistically, pretty much all Summit League head coaching positions are still entry-level D-I head coaching jobs. The candidate pool consists of D-I assistants and D-II head coaches, for the most part. The best you can reasonably hope for is to get a D-I assistant from a program that's had some recent success, which Nebraska has had. Not wild, outrageous success, but still it's been success by the relatively modest standards set by University of Nebraska basketball.
        Nebraska had an equal amount of success this season as SDSU has had the past two years or NDSU had this year. Maybe a smidge more, based on more opportunities to play top 25 teams.

Maybe USD should have hired Klink or Dave Richman.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          Nebraska had an equal amount of success this season as SDSU has had the past two years or NDSU had this year. Maybe a smidge more, based on more opportunities to play top 25 teams.

Maybe USD should have hired Klink or Dave Richman.
          Well, Nebraska is not exactly Kansas or Kentucky, but they are a Big 10 school, so that does count for something.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

USD with a new arena has a pretty good shot at being a very competitive program.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              USD with a new arena has a pretty good shot at being a very competitive program.
              A new arena and a head coach won't turn around a program in 1 or 2 years, it's going to take awhile. Hopefully they can make their basketball program into a top tier team, maintain a respectable RPI, and help make the Summit into a multi-bid league.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                A new arena and a head coach won't turn around a program in 1 or 2 years, it's going to take awhile. Hopefully they can make their basketball program into a top tier team, maintain a respectable RPI, and help make the Summit into a multi-bid league.
                Lets face it, He is going to have pretty much the same team as we saw last year. unless they have a bunch or new recruits coming in or guys off the bench who are going to step up, so year 1 might be a bit of a challenge for for a new coach and not sure he will be able to bring in guys he has recruited till year 2 and they would just be freshman.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Per @leebeeowh:

7-1 Sergej Vucetic leaving Neb, will visit Evansville, South Dakota.
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                    Per @leebeeowh:

7-1 Sergej Vucetic leaving Neb, will visit Evansville, South Dakota.
                    That comma confused me: I was trying to figure out where Evansville, SD, was located. Best guess was midway between Farmer and Epiphany or, perhaps, midway between Seneca and Lebanon.

Comment

Originally posted by coyotecrazie5 View Post
                      SDST fans are way too uptight. There were jabs thrown at our school, so I jabbed back. In no way do my opinions reflect an entire fan base, I am one person. The current behavior of SDST fans is that they are far superior to any other University in the state. There is nothing more annoying to me than pretentious fans. If SDST would have been in the same situation and hired Smith, he would be the second coming of Christ. Does the hire mean that USD will be at the top of the SL immediately? Of course not, but it helps. When coach Smith said that he could see himself coaching here one day and was impressed by USD and the fanbase, and having a SDST fan bash that immediately is irritating. If I said the same thing about a coach wanting to go to Moo U, people would be all over me on here. Case in point my posts from earlier. It is a joke when I make fun of farmers going to SDST. Just as SDST fans make fun of the U as the 'U of sex and drugs' (who doesn't like sex, never understood that dig.) I am not uneducated and think that agriculture is not the #1 factor in the state of SD's economy. My point is that SDST is not untouchable, not even close. It is not like SDST has been rolling over USD since they have been playing. I apologize for trolling the board, it was way too easy. Hopefully the rivalry will start being more competitive in men's athletics, as I am confident it will. Carry on with your discussion and good day. Just remember who the first school was in SD. It's a good day to be a Coyote!
                      Well, case closed.

USD has a new head coach, and a new arena coming...the Summit League is theirs for the next several years. No need to even play the games.

You guys up for some baseball?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        That comma confused me: I was trying to figure out where Evansville, SD, was located. Best guess was midway between Farmer and Epiphany or, perhaps, midway between Seneca and Lebanon.
                        Wow, a Seneca and Lebanon reference, I thought I was the only that had ever heard of them let alone been there.

Comment

Been there???!!! Why, one of the best South Dakota trivia questions comes from out that way: Where was (it's still there and still used!) the first outdoor swimming pool in South Dakota? I've been to that pool.

Anyone?

Bueller?
                          Last edited by JackJD; 04-03-2014, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Lebanon.
                            It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

Very excited about the Smith hire. I'm pretty sure he was going to be NDSU's top candidate if their coach leaves, at least that is what I was being told. Coyote fans should expect to see an improvement right away, but probably not a major improvement. I think he only has one scholarship to give out. I'm sure most of you probably don't understand why some are so excited about a former NAIA coach who has been following another coach around from stop to stop. It certainly isn't his resume that he has me so jacked up. It's him. Believe me, this guy will do good things at USD. Heck, Joey James has to be excited about this hire. Unfortunately I don't see Smith at USD after 5 years or so. (And yes, I already know what some of you are thinking "typical USD fan, before their new coach even coaches one game in D-I he already has him being so successful he's leaving for a bigger job in 5 years.) I realize how it sounds. I'm just very confident in this hire.

Oh, and thanks for letting me post on your board. I read it every once in while (for years) and finally decided to register. I had a little waiting period, I was starting to think that my user name was going to keep me from getting the go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by yote4life View Post
                                Very excited about the Smith hire. I'm pretty sure he was going to be NDSU's top candidate if their coach leaves, at least that is what I was being told. Coyote fans should expect to see an improvement right away, but probably not a major improvement. I think he only has one scholarship to give out. I'm sure most of you probably don't understand why some are so excited about a former NAIA coach who has been following another coach around from stop to stop. It certainly isn't his resume that he has me so jacked up. It's him. Believe me, this guy will do good things at USD. Heck, Joey James has to be excited about this hire. Unfortunately I don't see Smith at USD after 5 years or so. (And yes, I already know what some of you are thinking "typical USD fan, before their new coach even coaches one game in D-I he already has him being so successful he's leaving for a bigger job in 5 years.) I realize how it sounds. I'm just very confident in this hire.

Oh, and thanks for letting me post on your board. I read it every once in while (for years) and finally decided to register. I had a little waiting period, I was starting to think that my user name was going to keep me from getting the go ahead.
                                Yeah,i'm sure Joey is just thrilled. Anyway,welcome to the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X