Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joey James Out as USD Head Coach

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    The difference being Palileo went to Washington State to be a head coach. The USD head coach went to U of M to be an assistant head coach I believe.

Probably still a step up though.
    Definitely a step up . Minnesota is a top 15 program and the head coach , Hugh McCutcheon recently coached both the mens and womens Olympic teams ( men won the gold medal). Could lead to a head coaching job at a higher level down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Definitely a step up . Minnesota is a top 15 program and the head coach , Hugh McCutcheon recently coached both the mens and womens Olympic teams ( men won the gold medal). Could lead to a head coaching job at a higher level down the road.
      I think he might be taking Hinterstocker's spot(former NDSU volleyball coach). Erich was a UMN assistant last year, but his name is no longer on the website. Personally, I think the USD coach just wants to work with a former First Lady*.

*http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...sh_760749.html

A little digging turned up that Hinterstocker just took an associate head coach job at Marquette. So the USD coach is definitely taking his spot.

Comment

I've never understood hiring a firm. Give me $20 grand (or more), 5-7 days, a 20 minute meeting with Herbster and Abbott and I'll get you 10 people you should look at.

I don't know Joey, I don't know his story, or anything. But I thought the process was wrong. What I would have said, was its his job for now, it will be open at the end of the year, in which he will be a candidate for it. We want to see what type of an application pool we have. Then you save some face, and are honest.

There are a few guys I'd look at. But some of it depends on what they want. If they wanted a young guy, they had one with James, which makes me think they want someone with HC experience, maybe at a lower level.

A guy I'd go after is Tom Billeter at Augie, I'm not sure he wants it, but he's been an assistant at the D-I level, has coached in the region for a while so he knows recruiting.

Comment

Looks like James jumped the gun with his "loyalty means nothing" tweet which was followed the next day by the official press release stating that USD expected James to be a candidate and would be considered like all the candidates. I think the U had that press release ready but got forced into putting out to the media by the James tweet.

Billeter was head coach at DII NDSU 1992-96 and had a record of 97-50. Think he'd sign up for a league in which the Bison are now members? I wonder how his current salary at Augie compares to what USD will pay the next head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Looks like James jumped the gun with his "loyalty means nothing" tweet which was followed the next day by the official press release stating that USD expected James to be a candidate and would be considered like all the candidates. I think the U had that press release ready but got forced into putting out to the media by the James tweet.

Billeter was head coach at DII NDSU 1992-96 and had a record of 97-50. Think he'd sign up for a league in which the Bison are now members? I wonder how his current salary at Augie compares to what USD will pay the next head coach.
            Without getting into the do they want to and pay (which I could if I had a consulting company). I'd put him #1 on the local list. I'd look at Austin Hanson and Matt Margenthaler, some Tim Miles assistants, NDSU assistants Ryan and Richmann. That would be my local list.

Because they hired a national firm, which again is stupid. (there is a thing called google and a cell phone). I'm wondering if they don't go out of the box, out of the area. But what the heck do I know.

Comment

What are your open record laws like in SD? In ND, coaching searches can become circuses. Other high-profile state jobs as well. I think ND agencies can sometimes get around this by using outside firms. They give the firm a good list of restrictions and tell them to winnow down the candidates to just the qualified ones before officially submitting them and opening them up to FOIA. You don't end up a national story like UND was with "chuckthepigskin" guy.

http://deadspin.com/man-applies-for-...dde-1481626884

Comment

Auburn head coach was fired, thus Ryan Miller (associate head coach)will probably be looking for another job.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  Auburn head coach was fired, thus Ryan Miller (associate head coach)will probably be looking for another job.
                  The 3 pt. terrorist at Frost. He would be an excellent replacement for USD.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                    I totally agree with that, which is exactly why I didn't understand why he took to Twitter. He shouldn't be mad about having a year to be the head coach at a D1 school, even if he wasn't given the job permanently. I thought more of a "Thank you, looking forward to the next challenge" tweet would have been more appropriate if he felt the need to tweet.
                    Yep,agree with all that. Jame's tweet was foolish. I don't care how USD handled it,you always take the high road. They're not the ones looking for a job.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      I've never understood hiring a firm. Give me $20 grand (or more), 5-7 days, a 20 minute meeting with Herbster and Abbott and I'll get you 10 people you should look at.

I don't know Joey, I don't know his story, or anything. But I thought the process was wrong. What I would have said, was its his job for now, it will be open at the end of the year, in which he will be a candidate for it. We want to see what type of an application pool we have. Then you save some face, and are honest.

There are a few guys I'd look at. But some of it depends on what they want. If they wanted a young guy, they had one with James, which makes me think they want someone with HC experience, maybe at a lower level.

A guy I'd go after is Tom Billeter at Augie, I'm not sure he wants it, but he's been an assistant at the D-I level, has coached in the region for a while so he knows recruiting.
                      They hire a firm because they want to make sure they don't get trapped in group think. ie, people in room personally like James, they go to the same church, shop at the same grocery store, etc. Their perspective will be skewed. Of course they are paid to be objective, but their own personal bias will always effect their decision making.

USD could pay you (or me) to come up with ten names. However, our experience and expertise with these things would probably warrant a fee in the tens of dollars. The firm has the experience, expertise, and outside perspective to warrant a 20k (or whatever) fee.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        They hire a firm because they want to make sure they don't get trapped in group think. ie, people in room personally like James, they go to the same church, shop at the same grocery store, etc. Their perspective will be skewed. Of course they are paid to be objective, but their own personal bias will always effect their decision making.

USD could pay you (or me) to come up with ten names. However, our experience and expertise with these things would probably warrant a fee in the tens of dollars. The firm has the experience, expertise, and outside perspective to warrant a 20k (or whatever) fee.
                        One name that comes to mind-RYAN MILLER. It would appear he is in the job market with his boss being fired at Auburn.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Per Argus Leader:
                          "James was a longtime assistant coach who took over as interim head coach in September of 2013 when Dave Boots retired after 25 seasons. James, a former Coyote player, was told Monday afternoon by USD athletic director David Herbster that he would not be getting the job permanently."
                          My strong sources tell me that James was told that he would not be back on Monday and they told him at the Arena in Sioux Falls. So much for letting him spend some time with his family after the season and how about that for a location. "Hey Joey let's have a hot dog and a talk."

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I've talked to several former players, teammates of Joey's and guys he recruited. They all think he is a great man, teammate and coach. Most also understand the position Herbster and USD are in. He was named interim for a reason, they planned to do a national search as soon as feasible. That is happening now.

Ryan Miller's name has been brought up by Jeremy Hoeck the USD beat writer for Yankton P&D as well as several others affiliated with the coyotes. Nate Tibbets gets mentioned as well, seems very very unlikely that Nate would be interested. My understanding is they want someone from the DI ranks. Either a current head coach with some ties to USD or an assistant, preferably at the BCS level or high mid-major level with strong recruiting ties and some degree of name recognition.

Now, what program wouldn't want those things? Time will tell. Certainly and excited job from a perspective of new building, unchartered territory and likely plenty of freedom to take the program where you want it. At the same time, a bit scary given that its a one year contract and the salary isn't likely to be very competitive. I am watching with interest.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

James was doomed to fail the way it went down with Boots but at the same time it will no doubt help his career in the long run. His tweet is probably something he will wish he could take back or should anyway.

He will get a better job now having the experience as Interim Head Coach.

Ryan Miller would be an excellent hire for the Yotes. Not sure if he would be interested. He's been a fairly high level assistant with a pretty good resume. Will be interesting to see.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                                James was doomed to fail the way it went down with Boots but at the same time it will no doubt help his career in the long run. His tweet is probably something he will wish he could take back or should anyway.

He will get a better job now having the experience as Interim Head Coach.

Ryan Miller would be an excellent hire for the Yotes. Not sure if he would be interested. He's been a fairly high level assistant with a pretty good resume. Will be interesting to see.

SUPERBUNNY
                                I think Augies coach will at least get an interview if he applies. He spent a lot of time as an assistant at some pretty decent majors (including Arizona with Lute Olson). Many people don't realize it, but Augie is really, really fortunate to land somebody with his credentials. He also has lots of head coaching experience, something Miller cannot say.

I often wonder how Coach Nagy's DI interviews would have gone back when we were in the NCC if he had an extra 5 years of DI experience on his resume. His resume was all DII, except for a brief stint at Illinois (where his dad was an assistant) and his playing days at Delta State (I think). His resume probably didn't jump to the top of the pile for a lot of DI AD's.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X