Summit League On the Rise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League On the Rise

Good article from the Omaha World Herald about the rise in prominence of the Summit League. http://www.omaha.com/article/2013122...of-realignment
    USD Fan

Re: Summit League On the Rise

I think that this is a good article but wasn't Oral Roberts one of the last four out and one of the last four in?

If that is the case you can group trades about the way that they belong.
    Denver replaced Oakland.
    USD and UNO replaced Southern Utah and UMKC.

Anytime you can get rid of Centenary it is a gain for the conference.

I don't know enough about all of those schools to know how much better or worse we are now than what we were before. Denver has some great men's teams but some of those are in sports that aren't in the Summit League.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      I think that this is a good article but wasn't Oral Roberts one of the last four out and one of the last four in?

If that is the case you can group trades about the way that they belong.
      Denver replaced Oakland.
      USD and UNO replaced Southern Utah and UMKC.

Anytime you can get rid of Centenary it is a gain for the conference.

I don't know enough about all of those schools to know how much better or worse we are now than what we were before. Denver has some great men's teams but some of those are in sports that aren't in the Summit League.
      I consider losing Centenary and Southern Utah be about equal in that both were a horrible,expensive road trip.

If you lump all the schools together..... Oral Roberts,Denver,USD,Omaha>>>>>>>>>>> Oakland,UMKC,Southern Utah,Centenary

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        I consider losing Centenary and Southern Utah be about equal in that both were a horrible,expensive road trip.

If you lump all the schools together..... Oral Roberts,Denver,USD,Omaha>>>>>>>>>>> Oakland,UMKC,Southern Utah,Centenary

I agree but what I was saying is it would be Denver, USD , Omaha >>>>>> Oakland, Southern Utah, UMKC and Centenary.

You can't put Oral Roberts in there because they would be on both sides. If you really wanted the last four to come and leave it would be.... Oral Roberts, Denver, USD, Omaha >>>>>>>>> Oral Roberts, Oakland, UMKC, Southern Utah.

Centenary left before Oral Roberts so those would be the last moves. I think we all agree that you have to put Centenary in there and that is what puts it really over the top.

Comment

They have a winning record in the WAC right now. They also intend to host a conference tourney in the somewhat near future. It may be that the travel is more than expected. They may still think the MVC is the next step. The change in the coach has been a big plus for their team. If there is another team to join the Summit for next season, I would hope to hear that come out by tournament time.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            They have a winning record in the WAC right now. They also intend to host a conference tourney in the somewhat near future. It may be that the travel is more than expected. They may still think the MVC is the next step. The change in the coach has been a big plus for their team. If there is another team to join the Summit for next season, I would hope to hear that come out by tournament time.
            Sorry OldHare, had to delete my post because I had to fix the wording. Anyways, if you all missed it. I heard a rumor from an SDSU official that UMKC wants back in the Summit League. Not sure if this would be for 2014-2015 or 2015-2016, but there are officials at UMKC who are pushing to get back in the Summit League. Tyler had Douple on at halftime yesterday and he did not rule out another school coming back for next year, but he didn't elaborate either. I think it would be great if the SL could get UMKC back. They are getting better, plus it's an easy place to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
              Sorry OldHare, had to delete my post because I had to fix the wording. Anyways, if you all missed it. I heard a rumor from an SDSU official that UMKC wants back in the Summit League. Not sure if this would be for 2014-2015 or 2015-2016, but there are officials at UMKC who are pushing to get back in the Summit League. Tyler had Douple on at halftime yesterday and he did not rule out another school coming back for next year, but he didn't elaborate either. I think it would be great if the SL could get UMKC back. They are getting better, plus it's an easy place to travel.
              I heard the same thing from a similar type source. I listened to Douple also, i understood him to say that it probably wouldn't happen next year but was fairly confident for the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                I would definitely be an advocate for at least 10 teams in the conference. It would make the regular season more important to make the tourney. If UMKC can field good teams for the conference, that would be a plus for the travel on the I-29 corridor. It is possible that the UMKC people are experiencing too much money for travel or they see the WAC as conference that might have viability issues.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

good article, and it's true. I also heard a rumor there is another school wanting in but the league was supposed to wait till the season ended to finish it........but that was just hearsay. I will add they were already DI and would be a "good" get.

lets all hope
                  BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

There seems to be more and more rumblings about UMKC coming back. I've seen comments from a New Mexico St fan and Beau Spencer from WIU, also some interesting comments on UMKC's board. Talk of them losing a ton of money, which of course was rather easy to predict.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                      There seems to be more and more rumblings about UMKC coming back. I've seen comments from a New Mexico St fan and Beau Spencer from WIU, also some interesting comments on UMKC's board. Talk of them losing a ton of money, which of course was rather easy to predict.
                      Quite humorous that many of us on the message boards saw that coming but none of their administrators did...

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        Quite humorous that many of us on the message boards saw that coming but none of their administrators did...
                        A short while after I moved to the KC area, I realized something: Kansas City became a major city in spite of its political leadership, not because of it. The actions of UMKC's administration are pretty typical of the quality of public administration in the city of Kansas City, Missouri. See also: Kansas City School District.

(The suburbs are generally run somewhat better, thank goodness.)
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                          good article, and it's true. I also heard a rumor there is another school wanting in but the league was supposed to wait till the season ended to finish it........but that was just hearsay. I will add they were already DI and would be a "good" get.

lets all hope
                          If UMKC comes back and partners with ORU, could we be talking UNC? If it is, then the question becomes; what happens to UNC FB. There have been rumblings for a while about them dropping the sport. Considering the success they had in D2 that would be a bit shocking. However, financially it would be a good thing for the school. Plus, it isn't like they have experienced any success since moving up. Colorado is a big, big LAX state. DU draws some pretty solid crowds for their program. If UNC decided to drop FB, they could pick up LAX pretty cheaply and find a conference pretty easily. Their partnering with DU in a conference would benefit both Front Range schools.

Comment

If UMKC comes back, I see them partnering with western Illinois and Denver partnering with ORU. Should be easy air connections between Tulsa and Denver. In any case I think there are multiple options that would be better than UNC and several that would be better than UMKC. A more eastern school to partner with WIU would seem a better choice.
                            The distance from Kansas City to Tulsa and Macomb is similar.

Comment

Interesting comments from Douple tonight.

Summit League commissioner Tom Douple reiterated stance that expansion is always a topic of conversation, but requires the right fit.
                              Dom Izzo commented and said, "I'm thinking Eastern Illinois."

Jeremy Hoeck responded,
                              @DomIzzoWDAY Seems to be a popular guess. Douple said (again) that league could jump to 14 immediately if it wanted. Denver was "right fit"
                              14? Which 5 schools do you think he's talking about? Wow

Comment

Working...
                              X