Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Boots retires

It seems like a late decision
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: Dave Boots retires

Wow Yeah that's a late decision alright

Comment

Who knows? Maybe it's a health thing (I hope not). Boots was a darned good coach for 25 years and, by all accounts, a good guy, too. Best wishes to him in his retirement.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Wow. It's just about time to crank up practice too. There's definitely some large underlying issue. Hopefully not his health or something serious.

Comment

I once said that I thought Boots was out as soon as Jordan ran out of eligibility. That doesn't appear to be the reasoning for this one, but it could be.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            I once said that I thought Boots was out as soon as Jordan ran out of eligibility. That doesn't appear to be the reasoning for this one, but it could be.
            Yeah, I know some people fairly close to the Boots family who thought 1-2 years tops after Jordan left. But timing is odd. Sounds like he is done as of right now. As in his office is cleaned out and he has on communication with anyone there. That could be wrong but that is what I'm understanding.

I don't care what the reason, this is just plain odd for a coaching retirement/firing/resigning, whatever you want to call it.

Its just odd that a basketball coach that is somewhere 25 years retires in September

Comment

Wow. That's a surprise.

But, as I think about it, I don't know if there's a good time to retire as a college basketball coach. Maybe the start of the academic year is as good as any time; maybe better than some. I was in the HPER Center when Jim Marking announced his retirement...I think it was in late September. Shocked everyone. And there was no backstory...he had been thinking and just made a decision. I was crushed...great coach; great guy.

Comment

He will be on KDLT at 10 to discuss his retirement
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Seems odd to me but let's face it its probably good for usd. They brought in a new womens coach and that seems like a good change after the guy can't think of his bame left. I think boots was having a hard time getting his style of baskrball to adapt to the summit league. Not saying he couldn't but its a hard thing. Look at nagy he totally struggled with his pound the post and inside out. He really revamped it the last 3 years and he had the time to try it. Maybe boots didn't want to reinvent his system. Time for usd to get someone ready foe the challenge.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Hung in with Joey James and recruited, leaving now so James can step in to lead practice and start a new era. How about that? I think James is still there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Unless its a health issue than I'm going with that angle.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Hung in with Joey James and recruited, leaving now so James can step in to lead practice and start a new era. How about that? I think James is still there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Unless its a health issue than I'm going with that angle.

I hope Joey gets the job.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

If memory serves Coach Boots was not a proponent of moving from D2. He is in mid to late 50's. Perhaps he just does not want to coach a D1 program?
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I've heard a couple of theories, and these are just theories not even things I heard from my friend who knows someone. Or any of my friends who are from Vermillion just flat out THEORIES

1. He has beef with the new A.D. and when school ramped up something happened to trigger the decision.

Its reasonable, new A.D. took over when late last spring? I have no clue on their relationship, and won't pretend to

2. Its health, it could be, the not so quiet rumor out of Vermillion was that he wasn't sticking too long after Jordan graduated.

The timing leads me to think this could be it.

3. Kinda what MD is saying, he wanted Joey James to get the head job and believed that this was the best way to get him the job and to help him get started

could be, only issue I have is timing, you may help him get the job, but leaving now also causes problems.

4. The one that my friends keep texting me. When is the other shoe going to drop? Is someone going to jail? Did he get fired? Did something illegal happen? Is the NCAA going to come in?

On this one, I'm not sure, when Meirkort got canned, they kept it pretty quiet and there were quite a few rumors flying involving numerous areas. I never heard those with Boots, I thought he was cocky, I thought he ran a gimmick defense, I thought he relied too much on JuCo's, but I never thought he ran a dirty program and always thought he was a solid face to put on a program. So that one I'd be shocked if it was the reason.

Its interesting to say the least. Leaving at any time is interesting for a guy who has been there as long as he has, but to leave now just makes it that much more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            I've heard a couple of theories, and these are just theories not even things I heard from my friend who knows someone. Or any of my friends who are from Vermillion just flat out THEORIES

1. He has beef with the new A.D. and when school ramped up something happened to trigger the decision.

Its reasonable, new A.D. took over when late last spring? I have no clue on their relationship, and won't pretend to

2. Its health, it could be, the not so quiet rumor out of Vermillion was that he wasn't sticking too long after Jordan graduated.

The timing leads me to think this could be it.

3. Kinda what MD is saying, he wanted Joey James to get the head job and believed that this was the best way to get him the job and to help him get started

could be, only issue I have is timing, you may help him get the job, but leaving now also causes problems.

4. The one that my friends keep texting me. When is the other shoe going to drop? Is someone going to jail? Did he get fired? Did something illegal happen? Is the NCAA going to come in?

On this one, I'm not sure, when Meirkort got canned, they kept it pretty quiet and there were quite a few rumors flying involving numerous areas. I never heard those with Boots, I thought he was cocky, I thought he ran a gimmick defense, I thought he relied too much on JuCo's, but I never thought he ran a dirty program and always thought he was a solid face to put on a program. So that one I'd be shocked if it was the reason.

Its interesting to say the least. Leaving at any time is interesting for a guy who has been there as long as he has, but to leave now just makes it that much more interesting.

This is crap and does nothing but start rumors.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

USD and Vermillion are small places. If another shoe was to drop (other than health) there would likely be rumors. Boots always seemed to be straightforward and IMHO should be given the benefit of the doubt; other than a small misjudgment as to where he coached.
                              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                              X