Oakland exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland exit

A question I wonder, if football was to be added to the Summit League, what guarantee would there be to get an autobid to the post season? Having a 6 team conference doesn't necessarily make this a done deal as they would have to give the auto bid and take away an at large spot which they may not want to do. I don't know just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      The thing that has to be remembered with the MVFC is that it is not affiliated with the MVC. But I do think that adding UND and UNC and saying to them they will be football members or we will leave and form are own conference would be the right thing to say.
      This would require someone or some ones (Chicoine? Bresciani? Douple?) to have UND and UNC solidly in their vest pocket before delivering that ultimatum on behalf of the football-playing Summit schools.

My guess is that having both universities on board is quite unlikely. UND might be possible, but UNC I think very much sees itself as a Big Sky-type school in the Mountain West (the region, not the conference). Regional identification matters. Just ask Oral Roberts. Or Oakland, for that matter. On the other hand, if Denver decides it likes its new Summit conference-mates a whole lot, it might decide to start making friendly come-hither noises towards Northern Colorado, which might turn their head.

We're in middle school (or junior high, if you're old enough like me) all over again with all of this conference realignment stuff. "Johnny's kinda cute and he likes me a lot, but Billy lives up on the hill!"
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'd love to see UND join the Summit, but there might be too many hard feelings with rival NDSU, perceived traitor USD, Douple, nickname critics and football difficulties to overcome, at least in the short term. Chicago State might be the only viable, near-term solution.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
          True and false.

Address and phone number for the MVC:
          1818 Chouteau Ave.
          St. Louis, MO 63103

Address and phone number for the MVFC:
          1818 Chouteau Ave.
          St. Louis, MO 63103

Bet you $10 that if you call the two numbers the same person answers the phone.

Now they are separate conferences legally and when it comes to voting decisions, but there's a whole lot of conference incest going on between the two.
          I just dialed, 314.444.4360, and the lady on the other end answered with "Missouri Valley Conference"!!!!!!!!! It appears that some affiliation does exist. We have cracked the case!
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            The thing that has to be remembered with the MVFC is that it is not affiliated with the MVC. But I do think that adding UND and UNC and saying to them they will be football members or we will leave and form are own conference would be the right thing to say.
            Kind of like how the Summit is not affiliated with the MVC... weird how USD ended up in the MVFC. It isn't like the Summit football schools' athletic directors, presidents, and commisioner worked hard to get USD into the MVFC. Wait, that's exactly what happened. Of course, something like that could never happen with the MVC. rollseyes.jpg

UNI, MSU, ISU-b, ISU-r, and SIU would feel pretty vulnerable if Summit Football came to fruition. Who knows what that would lead to.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              I'd love to see UND join the Summit, but there might be too many hard feelings with rival NDSU, perceived traitor USD, Douple, nickname critics and football difficulties to overcome, at least in the short term. Chicago State might be the only viable, near-term solution.
              No, Chicago State is not a viable alternative. They were asked to leave the conference once. Not much has improved since. Why would we want them back?

As for Summit FB. I would love to see the pressure put on the MVC schools. I'm pretty sure at the majority would come on over and the MVFC would collapse. The only other choice those schools would have is to move up. Is there anyone on here who truly believes any of the MVC BB schools who play FB will be moving up anytime soon?

Comment

Reality Check:

Composition of the Missouri Valley Football Conference:

Summit football-playing schools (4):
                NDSU
                SDSU
                USD
                WIU

Valley football-playing schools (5):
                UNI
                Illinois State
                Indiana State
                SIU
                Missouri State

Horizon football-playing school (1):
                YSU

In order for a Summit Football league to be viable, the Summit League would have to FIRST add a minimum of two football-playing schools to get to the six-school automatic qualifier minimum; and assuming no defections from the Valley or Horizon, the MVFC would be left with six teams as well. Now, if one of those six starts making serious noises about moving--either to FBS or another FCS league, then the MVFC would be in deep dark serious trouble . . . but you could also say the same thing about the hypothetical six-member Summit Football conference.

Given simple geography, I'd say football candidates for the Summit would include UNC and UND, and D-II schools Minnesota State-Mankato, Duluth, or St. Cloud, or Central Missouri, Lindenwood, or one of the other, larger MIAA schools. Uplifting D-II schools is an option (unfortunately, IMHO) for the Summit. It is definitively NOT an option for the Valley.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

IMHO, the best strategy for State is to concentrate on upgrading facilities in preparation for collapse of Summit and/or MVFC.

I believe the BCS playoff format will lead to an end to the bowl system. The five power conferences will come to the conclusion that there are enough dollars from ESPN, CBS, etc. for them to go off on their own without the rest of FBS. When that happens they will perhaps bring along a handful of football schools from lesser conferences. I think they will also pull out of the BB Tournament and start their own "Big Dance". Whether they remain in NCAA, who knows? No matter, they will keep all the $$$ generated.

When this happens, schools like State will need to be prepared to play with the schools left behind from the MW, MAC, C-USA, etc. If not they will be relegated to what we see as DII. There may be a Summit, or Valley, or Big Sky. There may not. But, SDSU, NDSU, UNI, Mt St, etc. best be prepared to join with Western MI, CO St, E. Carolina, etc. when the new world order arrives.

Just my $0.02.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post

when the new world order arrives.

Just my $0.02.
                    One world government?

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                      IMHO, the best strategy for State is to concentrate on upgrading facilities in preparation for collapse of Summit and/or MVFC.

I believe the BCS playoff format will lead to an end to the bowl system. The five power conferences will come to the conclusion that there are enough dollars from ESPN, CBS, etc. for them to go off on their own without the rest of FBS. When that happens they will perhaps bring along a handful of football schools from lesser conferences. I think they will also pull out of the BB Tournament and start their own "Big Dance". Whether they remain in NCAA, who knows? No matter, they will keep all the $$$ generated.

When this happens, schools like State will need to be prepared to play with the schools left behind from the MW, MAC, C-USA, etc. If not they will be relegated to what we see as DII. There may be a Summit, or Valley, or Big Sky. There may not. But, SDSU, NDSU, UNI, Mt St, etc. best be prepared to join with Western MI, CO St, E. Carolina, etc. when the new world order arrives.

Just my $0.02.
                      I think there will be SERIOUS pushback from CBS et al if the big football schools try to create a Division Double-Plus-One featuring just the Big Five/Six/Whatever conferences. A HUMONGOUS attraction of the current NCAA men's basketball tournament is the David vs. Goliath upset possibilities. Wichita State. George Mason. VCU. Etc., Etc.

Football is one thing. I think the "big schools" will succeed in essentially separating themselves from the NCAA there. But basketball is an entirely different animal.

I think eventually you'll see "BCS" and "FBS" football categories merge together. NCAA D-I-FBS schools that are not lucky enough to be in BCS conferences will be squeezed out into NCAA D-I-FCS.

The NCAA may put some restrictions around Division I membership at the margins, but they're not about to kill the goose that's laying big golden eggs every year--the NCAA men's basketball tournament. The NCAA is already pretty much completely frozen out of the equation as far as big-time football is concerned. But there's a LOT of people with a vested interest in not screwing up the basketball thing too much.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The Sports Lounge 14 May 13th, 2012
                        https://archive.org/details/TheSport...e14May13th2012

0:00 - 21:15 Marcus and Travis break down Joe Mauer's great week and the amazing pitching performance of the week.

21:15 - 50:00 Reaction to Oakland leaving the Summit League and moving to the Horizon League. Who does the Summit League add and what is the future?

50:00 - 1:15.00 Mark Kern calls in from Kansas State to talk NBA Playoffs.

1:15:00 - 1:36.35 Tiger Woods wins the Players Championship, Sergio Garcia sucks, a NHL PLayoffs update and the adventures of Titus Young.
                        Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                        Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          I think there will be SERIOUS pushback from CBS et al if the big football schools try to create a Division Double-Plus-One featuring just the Big Five/Six/Whatever conferences. A HUMONGOUS attraction of the current NCAA men's basketball tournament is the David vs. Goliath upset possibilities. Wichita State. George Mason. VCU. Etc., Etc.

Football is one thing. I think the "big schools" will succeed in essentially separating themselves from the NCAA there. But basketball is an entirely different animal.

I think eventually you'll see "BCS" and "FBS" football categories merge together. NCAA D-I-FBS schools that are not lucky enough to be in BCS conferences will be squeezed out into NCAA D-I-FCS.

The NCAA may put some restrictions around Division I membership at the margins, but they're not about to kill the goose that's laying big golden eggs every year--the NCAA men's basketball tournament. The NCAA is already pretty much completely frozen out of the equation as far as big-time football is concerned. But there's a LOT of people with a vested interest in not screwing up the basketball thing too much.
                          I hope you are right. I think the changes coming the next 5-10 yr will be very large as the schools in the power conferences try to keep an ever bigger share of the dollars.
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Looks like the HL is done expanding according to Cleveland State's AD

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/coll...oakland_u.html

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                              No, Chicago State is not a viable alternative. They were asked to leave the conference once. Not much has improved since. Why would we want them back? ...
                              It's not like the Summit has a lot of options. I haven't seen one sign to indicate that UND has any interest in joining. So I'd rather have a reformed D-1 sinner from another conference than a D-II school that hasn't even started to transition.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Not me. Give me a D-II move up over a school that has shown itself to be incompetent over a long period of time. With that said no need to jump at anything, we ok right now. If something more happens - and we haven't found a better option - then and only then do you look at a Chicago St.

Chicago St. and New Mexico St. would leave the WAC in a heartbeat no need to be jumpy.

Comment

Working...
                                X