Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland exit

New Mexico State is in Las Cruces.

Las Cruces is a half an hour from Mexico.

They are not close to anybody except UTEP. They're 668 miles from Denver (Fargo to Macomb).

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      Panic maybe or maybe not, but to show a sense of urgency most definately.

Looking from the outside in, the Summit is in conservation mode on a very thin lifeline right now. The schools better be getting together very soon to discuss options because the time is today not tomorrow to figure out what to do.

This is what I posted on the Coyote board but it involves someone taking a large initiative in starting a new conference.

West

UND
      NDSU
      SDSU
      USD
      UNO (if they add football back)
      UNC

East

Western Illinois
      Northern Iowa
      Missouri State
      Indiana State
      Illinois State
      Southern Illinois

If not UNO than move UNI west and add another eastern school such as Eastern Illinois.

This divides the conference into 2 divisions for football and still allows for a full round robin for all other sports. In basketball scheduling is difficult so I wouldn't mind the 22 auto games every year. I also think for basketball the conference easily rivals the Valley.

Really how do these schools say no to this. Stability and an all sports all encompassing conference. The east schools have plenty of membership and the west schools have plenty of membership. The basketball tourney could be held in Sioux Falls every other year and somewhere out east every other year. All teams get a fair shake having the tourney fairly close to home.

The only question, what do we name the new conference?
      I'll bet the commissioner of the WAC calls Omaha's A.D., Trev Alberts, every other day of the week.

People talk about IUPUI and IPFW going here, Denver going there, the Dakota's going here.......................

I think UNO holds all the cards to the Summit's future. UNO's A.D. has balls. Enough balls to kill one of the 10 best DII football programs. That says alot to me. He went out on limb by deciding to drop football, move to DI and focus on two sports: Hockey and basketball. The hockey conference he put his chips on at the time just went south, and the Summit is crumbling around him. Heck, I'd say Omaha places quite a bit of emphasis on baseball as well. Home of the College World Series isn't it? Is the Summit a good place to park a baseball team? Nope.................

Laugh at the WAC all you want, Omaha fits the the bill quite nicely. Commuter school, urban location, no football, current member of a league that is in flux.....................

Comment

The Summit Tourney location gets a lot of play in these discussions.

Forgive me for bringing up hockey, I am a North Dakota fan afterall, but the Big 10 us going to rotate the conference tournament between St. Paul and Detroit, of which both are near to Minnesota, Wisconson, Michigan, and Michigan St.

I believe that Tulsa, the hometown of Oral Roberts, hosted the Summit tourney for a number of years before Sioux Falls.

My question is: If the Summit would have rotated between Sioux Falls and Tulsa, is the ORU still a member?

I ask because, IMO ORU actually downgraded conference affiliation at the time, and it was surprising to me. Kind of like UMKC this year. Not a good sign if you ask me.

Comment

Yawn - we all know that UND fans what the Summit to fail because of a dislike for Douple and also so UND gets company in the Big Sky. You fear that without all the other Dakota schools to form divisions that the Big Sky will eventually kick you out because as your commishiner says UND is on an island. Sorry if we don't buy into your scare posts - go troll somewhere else

Comment

Originally posted by bincitysioux View Post
            The Summit Tourney location gets a lot of play in these discussions.

Forgive me for bringing up hockey, I am a North Dakota fan afterall, but the Big 10 us going to rotate the conference tournament between St. Paul and Detroit, of which both are near to Minnesota, Wisconson, Michigan, and Michigan St.

I believe that Tulsa, the hometown of Oral Roberts, hosted the Summit tourney for a number of years before Sioux Falls.

My question is: If the Summit would have rotated between Sioux Falls and Tulsa, is the ORU still a member?

I ask because, IMO ORU actually downgraded conference affiliation at the time, and it was surprising to me. Kind of like UMKC this year. Not a good sign if you ask me
            Gotta be honest, I've asked that question myself for a long time. We have 7 of the last 10 tournament titles, you can argue that we were the favorite but it would be hard to convince any other school out there that the location isn't unfair. Oakland, ORU and UMKC all had their gripes about it and now they are gone, maybe for other reasons but I'm sure it played a part. Douple would be an idiot not to recognize that it has been a factor in us losing 2 of our best members in the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
              Gotta be honest, I've asked that question myself for a long time. We have 7 of the last 10 tournament titles, you can argue that we were the favorite but it would be hard to convince any other school out there that the location isn't unfair. Oakland, ORU and UMKC all had their gripes about it and now they are gone, maybe for other reasons but I'm sure it played a part. Douple would be an idiot not to recognize that it has been a factor in us losing 2 of our best members in the last couple of years.
              Oh come on.

Men's Winners in Sioux Falls
              2009 #1 seed NDSU - Champion NDSU
              2010 #1 seed Oakland - Champion Oakland
              2011 #1 seed Oakland - Champion Oakland
              2012 #1 seed ORU - Champion SDSU - ORU lost to #4 WIU and the #2 SDSU seed won
              2013 #1 seed SDSU - Champion SDSU

So every year but one that the tournament has been in Sioux Falls the #1 seed has won the tournament with the only exception is a #2 won it when #1 lost to a non-Dakota school. Not sure I see the unfair advantage the location has had on who wins.

Women's Winners in Sioux Falls
              2009 #1 seed SDSU - Champion SDSU
              2010 #1 seed ORU - Champion SDSU - ORU lost to the #3 seed SDSU in the Championship in OT
              2011 #1 seed ORU - Champion SDSU - ORU lost to #4 Oakland in the semifinals
              2012 #1 seed SDSU - Champion SDSU

So of the 5 years the #1 seed wins 3. In 2011 #1 lost in the semifinals to a non-Dakota school. So I guess all this gnashing of teeth is over the Women's 2010 tournament. Sorry I don't buy it.

ORU left to go to a conference they had been trying to get into for about 10 years or more
              Oakland left to go to a conference they had been trying to get into for about 10 years or more
              UMKC - well who knows what they were thinking - but come on they have struggled to get into Summit League Tournament and they never won it no matter where it was played - even when it was played in Kansas City. So it isn't about a competitive advantage.

So now it is back to ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, and TV coverage. Sioux Falls has done a great job with this and has crushed all the other city's that bid for the tournament. The Tournament now makes $$$$$ for the league something it didn't do before it moved to SF. No one is leaving because they tournament is in SF, that is just whining. Everyone whined when it was in Tulsa. If it isn't in their some coaches whine.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                Oh come on.

So every year but one that the tournament has been in Sioux Falls the #1 seed has won the tournament with the only exception is a #2 won it when #1 lost to a non-Dakota school. Not sure I see the unfair advantage the location has had on who wins.

2010 #1 seed ORU - Champion SDSU - ORU lost to the #3 seed SDSU in the Championship in OT

So of the 5 years the #1 seed wins 3. In 2011 #1 lost in the semifinals to a non-Dakota school. So I guess all this gnashing of teeth is over the Women's 2010 tournament. Sorry I don't buy it.

ORU left to go to a conference they had been trying to get into for about 10 years or more
                Oakland left to go to a conference they had been trying to get into for about 10 years or more
                UMKC - well who knows what they were thinking - but come on they have struggled to get into Summit League Tournament and they never won it no matter where it was played - even when it was played in Kansas City. So it isn't about a competitive advantage.

So now it is back to ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, and TV coverage. Sioux Falls has done a great job with this and has crushed all the other city's that bid for the tournament. The Tournament now makes $$$$$ for the league something it didn't do before it moved to SF. No one is leaving because they tournament is in SF, that is just whining. Everyone whined when it was in Tulsa. If it isn't in their some coaches whine.
                Great post. I'll just add that baseball is very important to ORU so getting into a southern league was huge to them,not to mention a recruiting ground.
                Oakland said they estimate that they will save 20-25% on travel costs with their move.
                UMKC...meh, i don't want to know what they were thinking

Comment

Yawn - we all know that UND fans what the Summit to fail because of a dislike for Douple and also so UND gets company in the Big Sky. You fear that without all the other Dakota schools to form divisions that the Big Sky will eventually kick you out because as your commishiner says UND is on an island. Sorry if we don't buy into your scare posts - go troll somewhere else
                  Seconded.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Oh come on.

Agree.

Sour grapes from a Sioux fan. Imagine that.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The WAC has talked to UNO. They've talked to NDSU, SDSU, USD, WIU, IPFW, IUPUI and Oakland. They have talked (per my sources) to EVERY SCHOOL in the Summit.

Trev Alberts, being a smart guy, no doubt realizes that the Summit is not 'crumbling': There are 8 members in the Summit now; same as there were ten years ago. Those 8 members are better in aggregate and closer to each other. One need only look at the chaos that is the WAC to understand that the Summit is far from the worst choice out there.

Comment

I just posted this on BVille, but am curious what SDSU fans think as well...

So here is just a random question, I know a lot of Bison fans have expressed their dislike of the idea of the Summit adding football as a sport, but if NDSU, SDSU, USD, WIU, were to pull out of the Valley, wouldn't it almost force the hands of a few teams from the Valley to jump? If the Summit could add UND and UNC for full membership based on the contingency of adding football, we would have six football playing schools and in reality better shape than the valley (Football wise). Especially since YSU to the CAA is more and more likely as realignment continues. It would leave four teams in the MVFC. The move would stabilize the core teams in the Summit for all sports. And in all likely hood, we would be able to pick up 2-3 of the remaining MVFC teams as associates in football. While I know common sense says none of them would jump in all sports, I question if UNI couldn't be tempted. Either way... my question finally, why is this something that so many of you are against? I know one issue would be the AQ, but I would bet that would be a non-issue with the NCAA and granted as soon as the conference was formed.

I wanted to add, wouldn't it give the Summit teams more leverage as far as adding teams as well, where as now we are dependent on MVC teams to make decisions and our hands are tied, we would have the control?

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                          I just posted this on BVille, but am curious what SDSU fans think as well...

So here is just a random question, I know a lot of Bison fans have expressed their dislike of the idea of the Summit adding football as a sport, but if NDSU, SDSU, USD, WIU, were to pull out of the Valley, wouldn't it almost force the hands of a few teams from the Valley to jump? If the Summit could add UND and UNC for full membership based on the contingency of adding football, we would have six football playing schools and in reality better shape than the valley (Football wise). Especially since YSU to the CAA is more and more likely as realignment continues. It would leave four teams in the MVFC. The move would stabilize the core teams in the Summit for all sports. And in all likely hood, we would be able to pick up 2-3 of the remaining MVFC teams as associates in football. While I know common sense says none of them would jump in all sports, I question if UNI couldn't be tempted. Either way... my question finally, why is this something that so many of you are against? I know one issue would be the AQ, but I would bet that would be a non-issue with the NCAA and granted as soon as the conference was formed.

I wanted to add, wouldn't it give the Summit teams more leverage as far as adding teams as well, where as now we are dependent on MVC teams to make decisions and our hands are tied, we would have the control?
                          I agree with everything you wrote.

Take the Summit schools out of the MVFC and see what happens. People are adamant that MVC schools won't be interested, but putting a little stress on key members of the league could have interesting results.

2 years ago it would have been laughable that Loyola and their 4500 seat arena (2200 attendance) would be invited to the league. Creighton leaving added enough stress to make them an interesting candidate.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The thing that has to be remembered with the MVFC is that it is not affiliated with the MVC. But I do think that adding UND and UNC and saying to them they will be football members or we will leave and form are own conference would be the right thing to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Yeah I kind of miss the odors of Greeley Colorado. Lets get them back in the SL.
                              I like to call it the smell of money, or the smell of the Rockies (the fmr owners of those feedlots are the current owners of the Colorado Rockies)

Greeley is not great, but its a solid school, with decent facilities in a good location, that isn't going to step into the league and be a favorite but has the foundation to build something strong within their athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                The thing that has to be remembered with the MVFC is that it is not affiliated with the MVC. But I do think that adding UND and UNC and saying to them they will be football members or we will leave and form are own conference would be the right thing to say.
                                True and false.

Address and phone number for the MVC:
                                1818 Chouteau Ave.
                                St. Louis, MO 63103

Address and phone number for the MVFC:
                                1818 Chouteau Ave.
                                St. Louis, MO 63103

Bet you $10 that if you call the two numbers the same person answers the phone.

Now they are separate conferences legally and when it comes to voting decisions, but there's a whole lot of conference incest going on between the two.

Comment

Working...
                                X