Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Investigate the Big Sky?

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    When USD made the move to go D-1, then announced they were joining the Summit and MVC for football, I was bummed out. All along, we were joining the Big Sky, then a last second invite by the MVC changed the administrations tune. I felt at the time it was the wrong move, and still feel that way. From a football perspective, we're in a good situation. Tough league, some regional opponents, basically Midwestern people. But from the all sports perspective, it was not a good move. In reality, the Summit is a bottom feeder league with relatively little loyalty. Teams are going to jump everything there is an opportunity to jump. In other words, they are going to watch out for their own skin.I think the administrations of USD, SDSU, and NDSU should investigate a three team switch to the Big Sky. Or individually they should do that. Here is the basis for the argument. One of the factors that made USD's move into the Summit at the time was Montana was considering jumping to the WAC. Then in 2010, they made the commitment to stay in the Big Sky, therefore ending all the turmoil. As you look at the Big Sky today, there are 11 institutions that are part of the all sports conference. Then there are two that play in the league from a football perspective only. If the commissioner of the Big Sky had a proposal to bring in the remaining Dakota schools, that would give them a 14 team league for ALL SPORTS. .
    Except for baseball, which will be a problem in the SL if Oakland leaves.

As far as alums supporting the visiting team their alma mater, those who enjoy following their alma mater will show up, the rest will stay home. I suppose home sickness plays a part in showing up as the two times I followed the Jacks to Missoula, I suspect there were about 50 to 100 present. Those were in the D2 days. According to 89 rabbits map SDSU has 433 alums in Montana. Montana is a big state, and alums living in Sidney might think twice about driving to Missoula just to see SDSU play the Grizz. Its all a matter of choice.

I think we are in a panic mode right now. Lets see what Douple has to say about Oakland and their departure. He has mentioned that they have turned away candidates for the SL.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

As far as alums supporting the visiting team their alma mater, those who enjoy following their alma mater will show up, the rest will stay home. I suppose home sickness plays a part in showing up as the two times I followed the Jacks to Missoula, I suspect there were about 50 to 100 present. Those were in the D2 days. According to 89 rabbits map SDSU has 433 alums in Montana. Montana is a big state, and alums living in Sidney might think twice about driving to Missoula just to see SDSU play the Grizz. Its all a matter of choice.

I think we are in a panic mode right now. Lets see what Douple has to say about Oakland and their departure. He has mentioned that they have turned away candidates for the SL.

First lets see if Oakland is actually leaving - after all this is the same guy whos "sources" said that UIC to the Valley was a done deal. Then we can see what Tom has up his sleeve.

As far as baseball goes - NYIT will be looking for a home for its baseball team as the Great West closes down after this season - not ideal but it is an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/eve...icle/id/65690/

Here is the article I have mentioned that says Northern Colorado was considered on a league wide basis when considering adding UNC and UND for baseball.

The thing that has to be looked at is if you can get UNC and UND is that SUU would probably chose to rejoin the SL because WAC baseball would probably get the dagger. Travel wouldn't be great, but never is with baseball anyways.

Comment

Wright State fans are saying Oakland was voted into the HL today.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            Wright State fans are saying Oakland was voted into the HL today.
            I checked twitter for Paul Kampe(press) and Greg Kampe(coach) and there is no news there. The only thing found at this time are the posters from Wright St on the Grizz site.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
              I checked twitter for Paul Kampe(press) and Greg Kampe(coach) and there is no news there. The only thing found at this time are the posters from Wright St on the Grizz site.
              I just got the word that Oakland was voted into the HL today by the presidents. The HL should have an official announcement this week.
              Read more: http://wrightstate.proboards.com/ind...#ixzz2RtRiwcyI

Comment

The one thing this might do is speed up expansion, seemed that the conference was hesitant to expand west because Oakland didn't want to travel that way.

Comment

They are keeping the official release for another day. Meanwhile, we need to turn our attention to the reloading of the Summit as this story plays out. Also, it should be noted that the Oakland people had openly informed the Summit League that they would jump to the Horizon should the opportunity become present. That is another reason that I would expect Douple and company to have some action on the horizon(pun intended).
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    The one thing this might do is speed up expansion, seemed that the conference was hesitant to expand west because Oakland didn't want to travel that way.
                    The "conference" is not a hive mind and I have doubts that any decision arrived at was driven primarily or even significantly by concern for Oakland, because every president and AD knows that Oakland would never pass up an invite to the Horizon. There's no point in trying to appease those who cannot be appeased.

Comment

Interesting times in the conference realignment world. My guess is that the Summit League has a plan in place and there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than most know. The fact that Denver recently make the decision to join the Summit League is a good sign as ORU had already left at that point in time and the Oakland to Horizon rumor is no surprise to anyone.
                      USD Fan

Comment

Discussion on the state of various conferences seem to focus on the present with no mention of the near-term future. Are there other mid-major conferences in which the member schools are improving and adding facilities at the rate taking place in the Summit League? USD, SDSU, NDSU all have new projects either in process, starting this summer, or starting in the next year. Three to four years from now, Summit facilities will be some of the best mid-major facilities.

I'm with filbert in his assessment that all conferences, except those at the very top of the food chain, have a certain amount of shakiness. If one takes a little longer-term view, the Summit has the foundation to be one of the more attractive mid-majors.

Comment

I would believe that SDSU administration would endorse the Summit League survival. It may be that there are more current members that have a vision for the growth of the conference. Currently the environment is nervous with turnover among conferences. We should not overlook some of the positive things that have happened. The addition of Denver is another step in the right direction. The facility improvements that JackJD referred are also a draw for a more established program that might appear. It may be a bit cloudy out there today, but the sky is not falling. I still wish Douple had me on speeddial to keep me calm.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                            When USD made the move to go D-1, then announced they were joining the Summit and MVC for football, I was bummed out. All along, we were joining the Big Sky, then a last second invite by the MVC changed the administrations tune. I felt at the time it was the wrong move, and still feel that way. From a football perspective, we're in a good situation. Tough league, some regional opponents, basically Midwestern people. But from the all sports perspective, it was not a good move. In reality, the Summit is a bottom feeder league with relatively little loyalty. Teams are going to jump everything there is an opportunity to jump. In other words, they are going to watch out for their own skin.I think the administrations of USD, SDSU, and NDSU should investigate a three team switch to the Big Sky. Or individually they should do that. Here is the basis for the argument. One of the factors that made USD's move into the Summit at the time was Montana was considering jumping to the WAC. Then in 2010, they made the commitment to stay in the Big Sky, therefore ending all the turmoil. As you look at the Big Sky today, there are 11 institutions that are part of the all sports conference. Then there are two that play in the league from a football perspective only. If the commissioner of the Big Sky had a proposal to bring in the remaining Dakota schools, that would give them a 14 team league for ALL SPORTS. If the kept Cal-Poly and Cal-Davis for football, they could have 2 divisions of 8. The western division could have USD, SDSU, UND, NDSU, UNC, UM, MSU, and say Idaho State. The other division would be the remaining teams. If from a strategic standpoint you had the alumni office layout the foot print of alumni in our existing league and compare it to the proposed league, I would venture a guess that it would be close to the same, if not slightly higher for the Big Sky. The Big Sky would certainly have to look closely at the proposal, and out some teeth into an exit strategy involving a still penalty of dollars that would be hard to fund in schools are size, and now you are in a league with stability, existing rivalries, and have all sports. If that meant USD had to add baseball and some other women's program to balance the move, then so be it.I love the MVC in football. I do. But the Summit is a sleeper in all the other sports. And the stability and continuity of the Summit concerns the hell out of me.You haven't had a chance to blast 'ol YFE for awhile, so nows your opportunity. Have at it.
                            you do realize big sky basketball is worse than the Summit right?
                            BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

If anything having und and northern colo come this way and join the summit would make the most sense. Atleast in my mind it does.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                                you do realize big sky basketball is worse than the Summit right?
                                I was wondering if anyone would call him out on that. The Big Sky is a terrible BB conference. Take UM and Weber away and the entire conference is IUPUI circa 2012/13. And yes that inclues the Whioux.

As for the OP, living in Colorado I would love to see SDSU come this way. However, when I think logically the Big Sky isn't an option unless the western schools split from the Montana/Utah/Colorado schools. There is no way I see that happening so lets see what Douple has in mind.

To you Yote fans, how would you propose that USD pay for a move to the Big Sky? From everything I have read and heard USD has no money. That seems to be the biggest reason they took the MVFC/Summit membership over the Big Sky.

Comment

Working...
                                X